Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
I guess the bottom line no matter how you look at it is that it is hard to soar with the eagles when you work with a bunch of turkey's!!
Yer preachin' to the choir buddy!
Old 12-04-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Yer preachin' to the choir buddy!
All I hope is that Jarome gets the respect he deserves if he is traded. I would hope that they would send him to a contender.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
All I hope is that Jarome gets the respect he deserves if he is traded. I would hope that they would send him to a contender.
Absolutely. A repeat of the Ray Borque trade would be awesome. He seemed to do ok with #87.......
Old 12-04-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. A repeat of the Ray Borque trade would be awesome. He seemed to do ok with #87.......
Looking at some of the moves Sutter has made Pitt may even get Iggy for Brett Sterling, Corey Potter, Ryan Craig and a 4th round pick. Remember that Sutter would also include a 1st with Iggy though!!!
Old 12-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Banned

Won 3 of our last 5, A couple wins out of a playoff spot. No reason we can't go on a streak and wind up in the top seeds. We have the team and the goalie.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Hey Goober, since the other thread was locked before I had a chance to reply, I felt I'd do it here. (Flames thread Re: Iggy as Captain)

Look, you know how much I respect your knowledge and passion for the game, but I think you are dead wrong about Iggy's leadership ability, and proved it in your own post.

Now tell me, how many captains of playoff bound teams cannot get their teammates to participate in team dinners? Frankly, I think that's pathetic.
Yes, Iginla is a fine person and terrific hockey player. Of course he's worn letters throughout his entire hockey life. Unfortunately, in hockey, all too often the most gifted player is given the 'C', and this was something I never personally agreed with. Like previously mentioned, great stats do not a great leader make.

The hockey world seems to think he has some magical aura around him, the the reality is a far different one, and I think that many who have played with the Flames would very quietly agree.

However, this is all moot now, pulling the 'C' should have been done two seasons ago. The benefit to both the player and the organization would likely have been far more positive than negative. I do agree that Darryl has the same general managerial prowess of KLowe, and will not be here for the rebuilding process which should begin in ernest this off season, if not sooner.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts and I'm fully aware that I do stand alone on this issue.......
OMG not the team dinners...
Old 12-04-2010, 11:42 PM

It's official........the Flames have now been mugged by Justin Beiber!
Old 12-05-2010, 01:10 AM

Another good game by the Oilers.....young gun comes thru!
Ahead of the Flames in the standings and playing some good entertaining hockey.
See if the Flames can keep up with their veteran team!
LOL
Old 12-11-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
Another good game by the Oilers.....young gun comes thru!
Ahead of the Flames in the standings and playing some good entertaining hockey.
See if the Flames can keep up with their veteran team!
LOL
After tonites games we can just copy and paste this post....did anyone else enjoy the SO winner by Omark as much as me..lol cocky and pizzed the T bay players off big time loved it
Old 12-11-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
After tonites games we can just copy and paste this post....did anyone else enjoy the SO winner by Omark as much as me..lol cocky and pizzed the T bay players off big time loved it

Why were they so Po'd?? Not a fan of the young blood move??
Old 12-11-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
That move was great and we loved it. Pretty low class of TBay to get all sore about it. I'm no big Oiler fan but they have some great young talent and are becoming fun to watch again. Hall, Eberle, Omark, Paajarvi, Gagner.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:21 PM

After watching the Tampa-Calgary live I gotta say it was one boring game.
Thank god the beer and food were free!
Stamkos didn't really show me much,except that he whines a lot.......very disappointed in him.
I find it pretty amusing that the Tampa whiners didn't like the shoot out move by Omark.....heaven forbid the fans get some entertainment out of it.
Isn't this the one avenue where show boating should happen......oh wait let them all come down and take a slapshot from the hash marks cause that's way more exciting!
Give me a break....
Old 12-11-2010, 04:48 PM

Man, the kid sure has a flair for the dramatic, eh? Eberle's first was arguably the greatest 'first NHL goal' ever, Hall's first game winner was a gem and now this? Wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBdO66187Os

Win or lose, they're a helluva fun team to watch this year. With each passing game, you can noticeably see their collective confidences and chemistry grow. The future looks very bright indeed.

Anyone see BB416 around lately? He used to be a huge participant in the NHL threads. I wonder what happened.........
Old 12-11-2010, 05:02 PM

I really find all the fuss about the omark goal amazing. In reality, the spin was nothing more than a bit of showboating and had very little, if not zero effect on the result. It was entertaining for sure, but necessary? I really don't know. I think respect is an issue with some players, like Subban, who has been under fire for it lately. That is probably what gets most opponents going.

From a flames fan perspective, I hope he continues to get cocky and lose his drive to actually play the game. Teams with a couple showboaters that break up the team struggle. But in all honesty. I don't really care if he puts on a funny hat and goes in with two sticks. Its all entertaining.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
I really find all the fuss about the omark goal amazing. In reality, the spin was nothing more than a bit of showboating and had very little, if not zero effect on the result. It was entertaining for sure, but necessary? I really don't know. I think respect is an issue with some players, like Subban, who has been under fire for it lately. That is probably what gets most opponents going.

From a flames fan perspective, I hope he continues to get cocky and lose his drive to actually play the game. Teams with a couple showboaters that break up the team struggle. But in all honesty. I don't really care if he puts on a funny hat and goes in with two sticks. Its all entertaining.
Showboating? Look at his other shootout goals on Youtube. Skill buddy. Spin set the goalie off, got in his head, the fake shot got in his head more, then a slap along the ice was the ice on the cake. Talk about getting into the goalies head
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 12-11-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic6 View Post
Showboating? Look at his other shootout goals on Youtube. Skill buddy. Spin set the goalie off, got in his head, the fake shot got in his head more, then a slap along the ice was the ice on the cake. Talk about getting into the goalies head
gotta disagree. if you watch the goalie in the replays he is still focused after the spin. The fake shot is really what got that goal, no doubt about it. The spin added nothing but showboating. Sure Omark has some flashy shootout goals. But, as it has been proven in this league, a good shootout player means squat in a game situation. Look at some of the best shootout guys like Jussi Jokinen a few years back in Dallas... where is he now? Just an average player that had a knack for the shootouts. Probably the best shootout goal so far has got to be Mara in New york. Any hockey fan knows, he is not exactly a top end player.

hence my point... Why all the fuss? Shootouts are entertaining and nothing else. They do not show who is the better hockey players. a bit of showboating is fine, but respect should be earned.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:52 PM

I must say the whole shot out thing has mixed reviews. Correct me if I am wrong but i thought that puck must be kept in forward motion, if not the play is whistled down.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:55 PM

24.2 Procedure - The Referee shall ask to have announced over the public address system the name of the player designated by him or selected by the team entitled to take the shot (as appropriate). He shall then place the puck on the center face-off spot and the player taking the shot will, on the instruction of the Referee (by blowing his whistle), play the puck from there and shall attempt to score on the goalkeeper. The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete. No goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (an exception being the puck off the goal post or crossbar, then the goalkeeper and then directly into the goal), and any time the puck crosses the goal line or comes to a complete stop, the shot shall be considered complete.

This is from the NHL web page. In reading this rule that goal should have been dis allowed.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
24.2 Procedure - The Referee shall ask to have announced over the public address system the name of the player designated by him or selected by the team entitled to take the shot (as appropriate). He shall then place the puck on the center face-off spot and the player taking the shot will, on the instruction of the Referee (by blowing his whistle), play the puck from there and shall attempt to score on the goalkeeper. The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete. No goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (an exception being the puck off the goal post or crossbar, then the goalkeeper and then directly into the goal), and any time the puck crosses the goal line or comes to a complete stop, the shot shall be considered complete.

This is from the NHL web page. In reading this rule that goal should have been dis allowed.
Why? By your logic a deke pulled to a backhand would be in violation of this. In Omarks case he does a spin so the puck is simply a pivot point...
Old 12-12-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post

X2

Spin at center ice....wow thats amazing
Old 12-12-2010, 01:29 AM

Anyone else think Omark actually 'whiffed' on the shot?
Old 12-12-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
I thought it looked like fake slapper to me ??
Old 12-12-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:

The forward motion rule has come into question ever since the first spin o rama in a shootout. Not sure what the NHL had to say about it.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
nope definetly a fake slapper
Old 12-12-2010, 08:36 AM

We often forget that hockey is a business. Revenue is made from ticket sales, advertising, TV ratings, merchandise, etc, etc. This kind of action sells. Sure there are some big name GMs complaining. They wouldn’t say anything with one of these guys on their team, revenues up and the seats all full.

People talk about the history of winning in Edmonton. Since Messier left there has been a history of losing. Faced with the slightest adversity the team would fall apart like a cheap suit. Now regardless of the score these guys are giving 100% until the final buzzer. They have a history winning at all levels and are determined to bring it here.

I know I am looking forward to the next game, win or lose, as they are exciting to watch. Last year I would be surfing the net during the game and only take notice of the replays.

I am most impressed with the play of Khabibulin. Good goalies have good stats, great goalies make timely saves. The Oilers lead the league in turnovers and this guy is bailing them out time after time. I would have traded him for a bag of pucks in the off season
Old 12-12-2010, 08:40 AM

on a side note. my wife won a pair of oilers tx last night. We wont be able to make it. we are thinkig of selling at face value $225 per ticket. prime seats sec 104 row 13 club seats. January 18th vs minnesota. pm me if interested
Old 12-12-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Why? By your logic a deke pulled to a backhand would be in violation of this. In Omarks case he does a spin so the puck is simply a pivot point...
This is not my logic this rule was taken from the NHL rule book.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
This is not my logic this rule was taken from the NHL rule book.
On any deke, or stick handling before the shot, the puck gets pulled "backwards", so technically the rule would disallow that. The spirit of the rule is to not allow a player to skate down, come back, skate over to the corner...back around the net, down to the other end, etc etc.
In Omark's case, the puck itself never traveled in the opposite direction..it was always moving forward. (Look at the replay in slow-mo..you'll see clearly it was always moving forward) I really don't know how there can be any controversy over the goal.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:27 AM

I don't think there is anything wrong with the goal, just quoting the rule.

The shoot out is alway going to be in question. Over the last month it seems that every game is in a shot out..
Old 12-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
I don't think there is anything wrong with the goal, just quoting the rule.

The shoot out is alway going to be in question. Over the last month it seems that every game is in a shot out..
Agreed. Sorry..I meant a collective "you" in my post. I knew you, Gramps, were ok with the goal.

Tags
ducks