Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2014, 03:30 PM

Default Dog sledding

Has anybody done this? I am looking into booking a tour in the Canmore area.

Any recommendations?

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 02-20-2014, 03:42 PM

Sounds like fun. There is at least one outfitter in Canmore who takes people out on trips with their dogs. I think I saw them around the spray lake area a few years ago. They are probably on the net. The group I recall hearing about was Snowy Owl and at that time (10 ) years ago they were well known and had a good reputation. Enjoy
Old 02-20-2014, 08:35 PM

that lake south of warburg just had dog sled races last weekend for 2 days and have a club and and have a website but I cannot think of what the lake is called right now,

Cement Bench
Old 02-25-2014, 08:16 AM

I booked with Howling Dog Tours.

SO, the other place Julius mentioned, has a 3 per sled policy. We are two and didn't want to share. Also, I am not sure if I am ready to drive a sled without a guide after a 30 min. intro. Uhoh.

Anyways, can't wait and will report back.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 02-25-2014, 09:42 AM

We've booked with Snowy Owl a couple times, great company. Not sure about the 3 per sled policy as we have gone as a couple (2) and as a family (3). We are currently trying to save some money for their overnight trip. All their dogs are awesome and there is plenty of time to bond with the dogs before and after your tour.

Colin
Old 02-25-2014, 09:48 AM

The wife and I did a sled dog trip in Yellowknife , they have a ten k trip out to a cabin in the wilderness, I drove out my wife drove back , the cost was 75 dollars a piece and well worth every penny. Be aware that the dogs who eat an extremely high protein diet tend to let some pretty smelly gas emissions.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:10 AM

We did a 5k dog sled trip in Yellowknife as well with our kids.

The parents drove out, and the kids drove back. Tons of fun, totally grossed out the boys when the pups pooped along the way! They don't stop for nothing!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:24 AM

We are back from our trip and we had lots of fun. As I said we booked with Howling Dog Tours and that was a great choice. Very well organized, they even called us the evening before to remind us of the time change over night and to bring warm clothes as it is still cold in the mountains.
They took us up to Spray Lakes with vans and we were assigned our guides. We got to meet the dogs and they let us help harness the dogs. The tour is 10km with a stop halfway through. They served hot chocolate and cookies. You can ride in the sled or help drive with the guide. It wasn't touristy at all and our guide was fun and answered all our questions. Telling us about the dogs etc.
I can highly recommend the company and also going for a tour like that.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Banned

Did they just put you in the sled bag? Riding the runners is a lot harder than it looks. How many dogs? I race dogs and we (Wife me and 2 kids) took 10 out last night for a 10 mile night run. It was nice to go out with the whole gang. I was on the runners and wife and 2 kids in the bag with kids on the runners in front of me on lake crossing and flat areas. This time of year with it warming up its fun to do family runs.

If anyone is in Whitehorse between November and April pm me and I will take you out. I don't charge for sled rides (but I do like beer) and have some great trails near my place 20 minutes out of town. Offer is open to any and all AOF members and their families. In the summer if you just want to meet the huskies or go for a ride on the cart in the fall pm me.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
Did they just put you in the sled bag? Riding the runners is a lot harder than it looks. How many dogs? I race dogs and we (Wife me and 2 kids) took 10 out last night for a 10 mile night run. It was nice to go out with the whole gang. I was on the runners and wife and 2 kids in the bag with kids on the runners in front of me on lake crossing and flat areas. This time of year with it warming up its fun to do family runs.

If anyone is in Whitehorse between November and April pm me and I will take you out. I don't charge for sled rides (but I do like beer) and have some great trails near my place 20 minutes out of town. Offer is open to any and all AOF members and their families. In the summer if you just want to meet the huskies or go for a ride on the cart in the fall pm me.
We were able to choose where we want to ride, bag or runners, help push or not. We took turns and it was so much fun! We had 7 dogs and all very really eager and fun to be around. One was a really young playful dog, we were laughing so hard.

This a great offer! Thanks so much. If I am ever up there I will take you up on it. Bringing beer and dog treats of course :-)

Old 03-10-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
that lake south of warburg just had dog sled races last weekend for 2 days and have a club and and have a website but I cannot think of what the lake is called right now,

Cement Bench
That's Pigeon Lake Sleddog Club. Good folks. They are all racers though and don't do 'tours'. I was at that race - there were folks from AB, SK, BC and Montana.