Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2014, 02:01 PM

Default Raw fruit wood for smoking?

I am just getting into the smoking/BBQ'ing thing and I broke down and bought a Horizon 16" Ranger offset smoker. I would like to find some seasoned wood to use in it. Does anyone know where I can find any locally around Calgary? Not looking for the "chunks" but actually the raw wood.
Also, if you know of any great books or websites on smoking, along with recipies, all are appreciated.

cheers and happy smoking.

SS
Old 03-10-2014, 02:48 PM

Default Smoking

I swear, try poplar it's pretty good! Some guys like willow, you can by oak and maple at any lumber shop ask for the end cuts and scrap.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:20 PM

Places like Windsor plywood and TimberTown will have dimensional lumber in a few varieties such as cherry, oak and maple that would likely cost less than to buy the small bags of chips. I laugh at the cedar planks sold at kitchen stores that are 1/5 then length of a fence board that costs less.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:29 PM

I am still working through the 50$ cut off bin I bought from black forest wood company, I'd even pick through a contractor bin for un-finished cutoffs.

When I was a teenager a buddies mom used willow to smoke goldeye, that was yummy.

I know folks who get small project wood from wood shop scrap piles free so I may be worth asking around.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:33 PM

I have some from a crabapple tree I cut down in our yard that I plan to use when I actually get a smoker. I have another tree that is slated to come down when the garage goes up, its either a Macintosh or something very similar.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:38 PM

The only local fruit wood might be lilac, plum or crab apple.

Here's a list of woods to use... the list doesn't mention willow, but diamond or red willow is a favorite on whitefish and pike.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/g...-to-smoke-food
Old 03-10-2014, 03:39 PM

This site I've found has all sorts of info
amazingribs.com
Old 03-10-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The only local fruit wood might be lilac, plum or crab apple.

Here's a list of woods to use... the list doesn't mention willow, but diamond or red willow is a favorite on whitefish and pike.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/g...-to-smoke-food
Saskatoon or choke cherry?
Old 03-10-2014, 05:10 PM

Default Wood

I'm not sure but chokecherry might be a no-no, the pits are a little poisonous and the wood "might" have it too.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I swear, try poplar it's pretty good! Some guys like willow, you can by oak and maple at any lumber shop ask for the end cuts and scrap.
Poplar STINKS!
I'm shocked it could be a good smoker.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:34 PM

Saskatoon, pincherry, maple, alder, among many. For the most part any deciduous wood makes decent smoke. Make sure the bark has been removed and the wood seasoned in the shade for at least 8 months. This is to save yourself some heartache by losing a good batch of sausage or bacon to a bitter taste!!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:54 PM

Default Wood

Duramaximos, poplar seems like it shouldn't be any good doesn't it? I worked at a restaurant that used apple wood at 600 bucks a cord in a wood fired oven, one night I tried some poplar and although it burnt up faster the food still tasted nice. If I was smoking I'd choose apple over poplar given a choice but I wouldn't hesitate at all to use poplar. I think the key is to lightly smoke with the stronger woods.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Duramaximos, poplar seems like it shouldn't be any good doesn't it? I worked at a restaurant that used apple wood at 600 bucks a cord in a wood fired oven, one night I tried some poplar and although it burnt up faster the food still tasted nice. If I was smoking I'd choose apple over poplar given a choice but I wouldn't hesitate at all to use poplar. I think the key is to lightly smoke with the stronger woods.
There is no shortage of it in these parts
I'll give it a shot.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:49 PM

Just a not about poplar and elm. I wouldn't suggest using any that was harvested in urban areas. The vast majority of the mid to large ones I've killed over the years reek of sewer. Human feces is likely something I'd avoid infusing my meat with....

Sharpstick, shoot me a PM. I have some personal stock here that's well aged that may suit your needs. Free of course.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:35 AM

Considering how many tree roots I've augered out of sewers over the years, Tree's onto something there! Poplar usually. I'm getting a mental image of a blindfolded oenophile tasting a burgundy wine and then noting what region of France it was vinted because of the flavor of the regions dirt, the side of the valley, the type of cask it was in, etc. Were someone to cooper up a wine barrel from a tree grown down by the septic field there'd be a whole other raft of flavors to explain
Old 03-11-2014, 12:42 AM

Willows suck too. NE wood generally has a distinct hint of curry in it if that's any help......
Old 03-11-2014, 04:43 AM

Chokecherry ,plum, any apple tree I think are the best a nice sweet aroma.Make sure it is seasond though.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:49 AM
Gone Hunting

The old timers around here used Willow mostly. Saskatoon and Chokecherry are too small for what they were doing.

Poplar was used as a last resort but only if the bark was removed first.

High Bush Cranberry would be good and grows as big and a bit bigger then willow but it's scarce around here.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-11-2014, 12:52 PM

I'm trying to find some diamond willow... Anybody know where I can get some around edmonton ?
Old 03-11-2014, 03:08 PM

Default thanks

thanks for all the reply's guys, much appreciated. And thanks for the PM's from a couple of you, hopefully I'll be trying it out this wkd with some Applewood.
Take care and happy BBQ'ing

SS