Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2016, 09:50 AM

Default delete

Was going to renew my AMA road side Service plan but found out Costco sells one and its good for the whole family . And it seems to be better.

AMA 160 km per tow

SOS 250km per tow

I am a mechanic ,what I don't under stand is they will not tow it to my home so I can do the repair but to the nearest repair shop.

Can anyone recommend SOS over AMA ?

Last edited by -JR-; 05-01-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:41 AM

I purchase AMA's RV package so that they will tow my track and trailer if the need should arise. If it wasn't for that I would switch over to the costco plan

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 05-01-2016, 11:15 AM
Banned

I have been an AMA member for a very long time. I"m not happy about how their membership fees have risen in the last while, but at the same time I would be leery of going to costco. I have never seen a "Costco" tow truck or service vehicle on the road. I imagine that you call a reg tow truck and costco covers the cost? Does Costco have the other services that AMA provides like opening your door after you lock yourself out, or a free battery/charging system check? Really helps at registration renewal time to be an AMA member also. Do you have to pay for the tow truck and then get reimbursed from Costco?
I am not saying that there is anything wrong with Costco, but I would really like to hear from someone who has been using them for awhile.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:31 AM

Do you have any older vehicles?

From the Costco site.

Quote:
Emergency Roadside Assistance Plan * only covers vehicles that are less than 12 years old. Includes a MAXIMUM of 4 service calls a year
Old 05-01-2016, 12:15 PM

-JR- I think they have the policy to tow it to a repair facility of your choice and not your home as to prevent abuse of the 'free tow' for people who chose to abuse that part of the membership.
As for Costco I think they would dispatch a local tow vehicle just as AMA does if it doesn't have a designated AMA service truck in the area.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:01 PM

Thankfully I've not used a tow truck for over a decade, but I'm reminded of my teens when myself and every buddy of mine had memberships because we needed them with the POS high-school cars we drove. Ahhh those were the days....

As with most roadside services they'll be contracted to local tow outfits, the same as any manufacturers roadside assistance program. My last use was perhaps 2007 for a lockout in my Power Wagon after a day of hunting and Dodge sent out a local tow company.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Do you have any older vehicles?

From the Costco site.
Quote:
Emergency Roadside Assistance Plan * only covers vehicles that are less than 12 years old. Includes a MAXIMUM of 4 service calls a year

I've got an older vehicle. Just wondering if they could be charged with age discrimination?
Old 05-01-2016, 06:14 PM

web site says 8 not 4
and did not say anything about older than 12.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:41 PM
Banned

You might find something through your bank.
I have a TD account that gets me a Visa Gold credit card and an Auto Club membership, fees for both are waived as long as I maintain a minimum $5,000 balance.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Was going to renew my AMA road side Service plan but found out Costco sells one and its good for the whole family . And it seems to be better.

AMA 160 km per tow

SOS 250km per tow

I am a mechanic ,what I don't under stand is they will not tow it to my home so I can do the repair but to the nearest repair shop.

Can anyone recommend SOS over AMA ?
I assume you are talking about Costco when you say they won't tow it to your home? AMA will tow to your home, or wherever you want it to be towed to.
I have always driven older vehicles, and that is why I like haveing AMA. Never know when something might happen, esp. in winter.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:21 AM

I have a ford diesel that might partially responsible for ama hiking their fees.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
I have a ford diesel that might partially responsible for ama hiking their fees.
Ya me too. My 6L ford cost AMA a few tows lol.
Never had to worry about towing until I bought the ford.
I like the AMA RV coverage covers your trailer also
Old 05-02-2016, 09:15 PM

I think the Costco one is through Dominion Auto Assc, at least it used to be.