Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-25-2017, 02:27 PM

Default Chip lake?!

Ok figured id ask before trying it out this weekend, since i haven't ever been lucky enough to fish out of chip lake.
I've heard alot of people access the lake using range road 110, but what im wondering is how is the fishing in a lake that is so shallow? How is it that the pike and burbot don't winter kill in this lake is it due to the fact of the river inlet and outlet?

Also do most people fish in the deeper portions of the lake or are they fishing in the shallows... like i said i will be heading out this weekend but any advice or tips would be nice.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieB View Post
Ok figured id ask before trying it out this weekend, since i haven't ever been lucky enough to fish out of chip lake.
I've heard alot of people access the lake using range road 110, but what im wondering is how is the fishing in a lake that is so shallow? How is it that the pike and burbot don't winter kill in this lake is it due to the fact of the river inlet and outlet?

Also do most people fish in the deeper portions of the lake or are they fishing in the shallows... like i said i will be heading out this weekend but any advice or tips would be nice.
Well, first of all, I don't think you'll find spots in that lake deeper than 4FOW. When I was fishing there two years ago, most of people were on the lake from RR 110 access, there was like 3fow. And fish wouldn't stop biting there!
Last year though, we couldn't even find 2 fow in that lake due to pretty dry season. This year was good for rain, people fish that lake again, I heard, haven't been myself yet.

As for the question how do they survive in that shallow? I'm not sure, maybe because it's huge, maybe because of creeks and springs. Or maybe they can hold a breath for the long time )) Who knows?

Tell us how you do, I wanna go there myself soon.

https://bit.ly/2RNVTKm
Old 01-25-2017, 03:58 PM

We chose wabamum over chip because of how shallow it was. Anxious to hear if you have some success!

Sent from my T06 using Tapatalk

Tags
burbot, chip lake, ice fishing, perch, pike