Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2014, 07:00 PM

Default Shooting problem dogs..

I'll probably get flak for this post, but I really don't care. I just finished putting down my friend's two little dogs (Under 20 lbs) -- sweetest dogs ever, because two huskies came from the neighbors property across some fields and attacked them. One had her throat torn so bad she was breathing through a gaping hole in the trachea.

What's the legality of putting a pair of .270 rounds through those huskies the next time they come onto his property? It is more than 150m to the neighbor's house.

I'm a fan of SSS when required, but I'd like to have the law on my side in this one.

Oh, and I live on a rez, one of the most remote in Alberta, so the first one to say call animal control gets whapped upside the head.

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 03-10-2014, 07:07 PM

As far as I know, if it is legal to discharge a firearm where you are at, and they are on private property posing a threat, feed them a 130 gr attitude adjuster.

One thing I would reccomend is to document previous incidents, as well as any that may happen in the future. This way you have something to refer to should you have to chat with a LEO.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:36 PM

I'm not sure what the legalities are but sometime last year there was a fairly heated discussion on here about problem dogs. I know what I would do, I would just keep my mouth shut.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Banned

Dogs? What dogs? SSS, lose lips sink ships
Old 03-10-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
Dogs? What dogs? SSS, lose lips sink ships
Yep. What he said.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:50 PM

Let the neighbours know what their dogs did, and that they need to keep them chained up.

I know you're ok to pull the trigger when protecting livestock, but not sure about protecting pets, etc.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:59 PM

Default One of my neighbors

Tried telling another neighbor his dogs were harassing his cattle while he was gone all day at work. neighbor 2 insisted his dogs never left his farm and were on porch when he left for work and on porch when he came home.
2-3 days later 2 of dogs were dead in neighbor #1 corral and the third wounded.
F& W, RCMP and Ag guy were called in and neighbor who owned dogs was charged. neighbor who did the shooting had no consequences as was on his land protecting his livestock.

I have electric fences up around all the bird pens but the neighbors are aware that due to the dramatic increase in the cost of ammunition we no longer fire warning shots. We rarely have problems with locals who know the rules but visitors can sometimes feel that in the country their dogs deserve to be free.

Some of us can assure them free range dogs will never require to be under care and control ever again. if the farmers don't get them the coyotes will.
Not to mention many of us have traps set for coyotes or 1080 poison out why let them run loose??Lost $4000 in birds one night. wont happen again.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:14 PM

I dunno, I see LOTS of dogs running around your place chasing pheasants, 'birds!!
Cat
Old 03-10-2014, 08:44 PM

Default yes you did

I especially remember one running so much that a lot of pheasants were out of range so running is not the issue it is the "control".
Old 03-10-2014, 08:49 PM

dogs, there aint no stinking dogs
Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirty-30 View Post
I'll probably get flak for this post, but I really don't care. I just finished putting down my friend's two little dogs (Under 20 lbs) -- sweetest dogs ever, because two huskies came from the neighbors property across some fields and attacked them. One had her throat torn so bad she was breathing through a gaping hole in the trachea.

What's the legality of putting a pair of .270 rounds through those huskies the next time they come onto his property? It is more than 150m to the neighbor's house.

I'm a fan of SSS when required, but I'd like to have the law on my side in this one.

Oh, and I live on a rez, one of the most remote in Alberta, so the first one to say call animal control gets whapped upside the head.
I hear ya ... I'd be pretty upset too, and looking to put an end to the situation with my rifle, but your story doesn't seem quite complete (no offence intended).

Has there been no discussions with the owners of the huskies, or the rez admin?

Mac
Old 03-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Banned

you will undoubtedly end up in trouble because you cant seem to keep your fingers from talking to the world,,

if you want to go to confession ? see a priest in a confessional !
Old 03-10-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
I especially remember one running so much that a lot of pheasants were out of range so running is not the issue it is the "control".
Danged labs anyways!!
Cat
Old 03-10-2014, 09:23 PM

I shot a half dozen or so livestock harassin' dogs in my time, the only grief I ever got into was because I threw a couple on the owner's front lawn in town. After that I just hung them over the wire fence alongside the main road.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:24 PM

You tell us what the legalities are. It's your res. I would think you know more about the legalities than us non res dwellers...
Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5wxqFQj76U
Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 PM

I once had a guy tell me how he dealt with a problem dog. He called the neighbor who owned the problem dog and told him, how his dog (the guy who made the call) has started wondering (it never did). He explained how much he loved the dog and how concerned he is when it goes missing however he understood that a dog should never leave your property on their own. So he asked the neighbor to do him a favor, which was to shoot his dog if he seen it on his property, just make sure he doesn't suffer. The guy was very taken back and was reluctant to say yes but he did. At the end of the call, the man who made the call said and don't worry I'll do the same for yours. I guess they installed a underground fence soon after.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:32 PM

What dogs?
SSS
Old 03-10-2014, 09:33 PM

If I were in your location I wouldn't hesitate one second.

SSS

Bury them next to the little dogs they slowly killed.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:33 PM

Have you talked to animal control yet????

Sorry but someone had to do it!!!!!! LoL
Old 03-10-2014, 09:44 PM

Default An old cowboy

He said he met his new neighbours when he brought the collar back to them.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:47 PM

I have no issue shooting stray dogs, collar or not. If they aren't supposed to be on my property, they get a quick response.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:55 PM

Default !

There really isn't anything more to the story.

It's a rez, there are dogs everywhere. The opinion of these people who own the dogs is that they occasionally throw food out for them, thus they are 'theirs' per se.

My friend let his dogs out, which are mainly indoor dogs, went inside for a phole call and when he came out a full blown melee had occurred.

Asking the rez admin for anything is 100% pure useless.

Anyway, thank you for the input.

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 03-10-2014, 09:58 PM

Choot'm!!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirty-30 View Post
There really isn't anything more to the story.

It's a rez, there are dogs everywhere. The opinion of these people who own the dogs is that they occasionally throw food out for them, thus they are 'theirs' per se.

My friend let his dogs out, which are mainly indoor dogs, went inside for a phole call and when he came out a full blown melee had occurred.

Asking the rez admin for anything is 100% pure useless.

Anyway, thank you for the input.
Well, I've never lived on a rez before, so I don't know what the protocol is ... but it sounds like two more dead dogs are in order.

Mac
Old 03-10-2014, 10:13 PM

discharging a firearm in a residential area is likely prohibited. I would be very careful. You don't want to lose your hunting privileges over bad neighbor dogs.

You are best off just checking into it.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-10-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
discharging a firearm in a residential area is likely prohibited. I would be very careful. You don't want to lose your hunting privileges over bad neighbor dogs.

this is a northern rez. I think the op is up at tall cree. If its like it used to be, pretty much anything goes with where you want to shoot your guns.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:25 PM

I've shot many dogs with little remorse. Only if bad though like chasing horses, if they are friendly no worries.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

He lives on the rez.
Therefore he is probably native indian.
What hunting privileges could he lose?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:33 PM

I had a problem with the neighbours dogs they had 6 of them and we lived on a small acerage. And they lived directly across the road from us. So all I did was borrow a buddies live dog trap he got from halfords and set it out after dark with some scraps by. Midnight I would have one. Works great when firing a gun is sketchy and doesn't bring attention.