Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2014, 08:24 PM

Default Electric Dog Fence

does anyone have any expirience with electric dogfences we have a new puppy 5months old and 55 lbs he slowly started to roam further away we live on 4 acres and I don't want to chain him up I will not tolerate him wondering around. any experience or suggestions do they work the dog is not left alone for more then a couple minutes right now .is it worth the money buried cable or wireless. we want to train him to stay around even as he gets older and we might be gone for an hour or so thanks for your time
Old 03-10-2014, 08:41 PM

Default Just my opininon

If you are away the dog for his own safety and the consideration of others should be contained in a kennel run or crate.
When you are available to supervise in the yard and dog is "free" it doesnt hurt anything to have a long check cord to grab if he wanders a bit farther than you want so you can check him back into a safe zone. No one condones tying or chaining but realistically the dog must be taught the boundaries and then you have to have a method to enforce it.
Electricity enforces what has already been learned but doesn't teach it.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
If you are away the dog for his own safety and the consideration of others should be contained in a kennel run or crate.
When you are available to supervise in the yard and dog is "free" it doesnt hurt anything to have a long check cord to grab if he wanders a bit farther than you want so you can check him back into a safe zone. No one condones tying or chaining but realistically the dog must be taught the boundaries and then you have to have a method to enforce it.
Electricity enforces what has already been learned but doesn't teach it.
well said I guess that is what we are after an aid to enforce his boundaries just wondering what products are prefered and witch ones to stay away from he is a very smart gentle awesome dog but sometimes it would be nice to have just that little bit of "help"
Old 03-10-2014, 09:16 PM

Default teach, train and then test

teach boundaries, come stay etc with check cord. home depot 3/8 braided cord is $15 for 100 feet.
Cut 30 feet off for short work and leave 70 feet for long work, attach swivel snaps and utilize a choker. Quick correction of "no" when they get close to boundaries. Every time you give a command you cant enforce you teach them that obedience is optional.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:36 PM

http://store.petsafe.net/wireless-containment-system

At Pet Smart
Old 03-11-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Anzac View Post
X2! I have the same one except it isn't wireless. Works great for my Aussie!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 03-11-2014, 07:07 AM

I wouldn't want to be electrocuted every time I stepped over the line a little.
I love my little guy and wouldn't ever consider causing him pain. Not the way to go
Old 03-11-2014, 07:08 AM

Smile A Kennel

UFA sells the panel type, 3 sides and a gate, it will stand up by its self and the dog will be safe and love it as his out side home.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:38 AM

Default Wireless is the way to go

We have had wireless fencing for about 10 yrs now and they work great. Our old fella, a golden, learned his boundaries with one shock and a couple of the beeps the collar generates before the shock. He stays within 30 yds of the transmitter/receiver. Our latest dog, a GWP, needs to have the collar on all the time as his hunting instincts take over and away he goes. He collar is so effective that we do not turn it on anymore but just put it on and he knows to stay. I have been able to leave him on the porch of the cabin and go out hunting and return to his happy wagging on the porch. The new collars have levels of adjustment to stimulate the dog. The other good thing is that when we travel up north to the sister in law's place we bring the collar and it works with her system. We bought her a system after her GWP left the property and was killed by wolves. She now has the collars on all of her dogs. Keeping your dog safely on your property is great peace of mind.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:50 AM

Default Dog Fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
We have had wireless fencing for about 10 yrs now and they work great. Our old fella, a golden, learned his boundaries with one shock and a couple of the beeps the collar generates before the shock. He stays within 30 yds of the transmitter/receiver. Our latest dog, a GWP, needs to have the collar on all the time as his hunting instincts take over and away he goes. He collar is so effective that we do not turn it on anymore but just put it on and he knows to stay. I have been able to leave him on the porch of the cabin and go out hunting and return to his happy wagging on the porch. The new collars have levels of adjustment to stimulate the dog. The other good thing is that when we travel up north to the sister in law's place we bring the collar and it works with her system. We bought her a system after her GWP left the property and was killed by wolves. She now has the collars on all of her dogs. Keeping your dog safely on your property is great peace of mind.
We have a beagle and have had a fence for about 10 years. They work good and they have settings so that it does not ""electrocute"" the dog but beeps first then a small correction if needed.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:16 AM

I have 2 large outdoor dogs.

I have around 10 acres of the invisible fence buried for them to play inside. It gives me piece of mind that they wont get baited in by coyotes cause they wont cross the boundaries.

I had it installed after a very well trained dog was hit by a car on the road.

You can teach them boundaries but you cannot forget that they are dogs and will be adventurous as well.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:35 PM

We have used both wire and wireless containment systems ( currently we have the Petsafe Wireless) which works very well , we have three dogs and after showing them the boundaries repeatedly for a week they have never left the yard. The problem we found with the wire system is that the wire was constantly breaking so you had to find the break and repair it also it is time consuming to bury the wire.If you are not going to take the time to go thru the process of training your dog the boundaries than you are wasting your money .IMHO