Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-03-2016, 07:23 PM

Default Broken guide? Need direction

Broke a guide on a my redington 9wt. I do not have the broken guide. Is there anyone in the Edmonton area that fixes these guides?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2016, 08:52 PM

Hi Engels. Can you post a pic of what is broken? I will have time in Jan to fix rods.
Thanks
Jason
Old 12-03-2016, 09:50 PM

Hi Jason,

Here are the pics of the missing guide.

IMG_0017.jpgIMG_0016.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2016, 09:57 PM

Okay. Pretty straight forward as it's just a snake guide. If you are not in much of a rush, I can get it done in Jan or feb. I am in Edmonton. I am ordering some new guides in the next few weeks for another complete build, so can order an extra for yours.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:59 PM

Connect with me through email.
Jason.a.seaward@gmail.com
Old 12-04-2016, 07:35 PM

A buddy of mine builds custom rods here in Edmonton, I don't think he does fly rods yet but I am sure he could replace a guide.

http://www.danocustomrods.com/
Old 12-04-2016, 08:09 PM

The reel doctor in Edmonton did a nice job replacing a broken guide on my GLoomis.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:46 PM

Send it to redington they have a lifetime warranty. It may possibly be cheaper then fixing it.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:18 AM

Have you seen postage costs to the US these days?

DIY! I fixed up two Sage rods that had either a snake eye or strip guide broken. The wrap and finish are not mint but functional.

Use a razor blade or X-Acto knife to clean off the old wrappings...don't nick the finish. Then clean/buff with some fine sandpaper.

Snake eye guides are dirt cheap. Get some size A nylon rod wrap in matching or near matching colour and whip finish one leg at a time, for the first wrap use masking tape to hold the other leg in place.

Then you can fork out $ for Flex Coat* resin or just use marine grade varnish to finish up...don't forget to rotate while drying...an old BBQ rotary does fine!

*Unless you go into the fix me up business I wouldn't buy this 'cause the one component hardens up after a few years.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:44 PM

Smile

I have about 5000 guides. I am in Calgary, but can send you what you need. I can fire it in the mail to you. I also have thread and epoxy, books you name it. Send me a PM. The guide is the cheapest part. Only about $2. Then the epoxy is $20.( Can't just sell enough epoxy to do one guide). Thread is another $3. Shipping $5. So probably around $30.

You can get the book Rodbuilding Guide from Tom Kirkman. It's the best layman's book to buy. It tells exactly how to wrap a guide and how to properly assemble a whole rod. It's $42 + shipping on Amazon.ca. So probably $50. I still have them for $30.

Yes it adds up. Or you can bring the rod to me, and I'll fix it for $25.

One thing you can also do is look on rodbuilding.org. They are a great resource for anyone building or fixing a rod.

At least this gives you some options.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Have you seen postage costs to the US these days?

DIY! I fixed up two Sage rods that had either a snake eye or strip guide broken. The wrap and finish are not mint but functional.

Use a razor blade or X-Acto knife to clean off the old wrappings...don't nick the finish. Then clean/buff with some fine sandpaper.

Snake eye guides are dirt cheap. Get some size A nylon rod wrap in matching or near matching colour and whip finish one leg at a time, for the first wrap use masking tape to hold the other leg in place.

Then you can fork out $ for Flex Coat* resin or just use marine grade varnish to finish up...don't forget to rotate while drying...an old BBQ rotary does fine!

*Unless you go into the fix me up business I wouldn't buy this 'cause the one component hardens up after a few years.
Sorry, but why would you do a half-***** job of replacing the guide on a $450+ ROD? That's like repairing a scratch on your new car or truck by spraying on Canadian Tire enamel that almost matches the colour! The" finish [is] not mint but functional".

p.s. Sending it off to Redington will cost you $40US (about $55C) and take 2-3 weeks.

Last edited by professori; 12-07-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:17 AM

Yeah,you're right. If you do it yourself you might even think about building your own rods eventually and what a waste of time that would be
Old 12-11-2016, 10:54 AM

I build and repair my own rods, just not in a half-***** fashion. By all means do the repair yourself, maybe build a few rods (it isn't as hard as many think), but do it right or get it done right. By the way, I'm not advocating sending the rod to Redington, just included the info incase the OP choses that route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Quote:
Get some size A nylon rod wrap in matching or near matching colour
Quote:
Then you can fork out $ for Flex Coat* resin or just use marine grade varnish to finish up..
Old 12-13-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professori View Post
Sorry, but why would you do a half-***** job of replacing the guide on a $450+ ROD? That's like repairing a scratch on your new car or truck by spraying on Canadian Tire enamel that almost matches the colour! The" finish [is] not mint but functional".

p.s. Sending it off to Redington will cost you $40US (about $55C) and take 2-3 weeks.
Problem is if they can fix or replace you may get stuck with an upgrade.

I broke a ferrel on an 8 weight Sag XI 2 casting into the trade winds for a nice bonefish when the the rod was not tight together (insert use wax dumdum). Sent it in via Fish a tales. Great service as always. I was told I need to take an XI 3 as a fix would take too long.

Cost $110 but I have a new XI3. Perfect world...don't break your rod. Otherwise I agree. Manufacturers warranty is the way to go. Do you own fix likely voids the warranty.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin