Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2019, 09:23 PM

Dropping your tailgate helps quite a bit seeing if you are veeering off.

Just don't jackknife.

DOH
Old 09-19-2019, 09:51 AM

thank you very much for the checklist, sir...

I'm new to launching and loading (I grew up on the water and we'd put our boat in once in the spring and take it out again in the fall, but it stayed in the water all summer otherwise so we never had to launch/load) and even backing up a trailer properly is really tough for me. That checklist will help a ton...
Old 09-20-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
This^^^^^^

And this ^^^^^^
YUP and YUP
Old 09-21-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
thank you very much for the checklist, sir...

I'm new to launching and loading (I grew up on the water and we'd put our boat in once in the spring and take it out again in the fall, but it stayed in the water all summer otherwise so we never had to launch/load) and even backing up a trailer properly is really tough for me. That checklist will help a ton...
The ol' man was a trucker and he taught me at an early age.....After doing all the safety stuff and plug your boat etc....it is simple;

Place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel with your knuckles facing up. If your hand goes left, the back of the boat goes left.....vice versa...

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
The ol' man was a trucker and he taught me at an early age.....After doing all the safety stuff and plug your boat etc....it is simple;

Place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel with your knuckles facing up. If your hand goes left, the back of the boat goes left.....vice versa...
Was shown this 30 years ago, simple but effective
Old 09-21-2019, 11:44 PM

Awesome... Thanks a lot fellas. Hoping Pine Lake is nice n quiet tomorrow so I can practice! I'll report back with my results... Ha ha!
Old 09-22-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
It’s amazing how some people will just sit there and watch someone struggle and get pi$$ed off and give them dirty looks. Get off your high horse and offer some help. Last year the water level was low at the lake we were at in Sask. An older couple had launched their pontoon boat but had backed in too far and the trailer tires had gone over the edge of the concrete ramp boat was already off trailer. I pulled in and there were 4 others in line ahead of me sitting there watching this 65 year old couple with there truck in 4 wheel drive trying to get the trailer out without pulling it into 2 pieces. As soon as I pulled in I hoped out of the truck walked past 4 other yuppies sitting in their trucks cursing and swearing and shaking there heads I talked to the frustrated older gentleman and had him back the trailer up a foot or so to get away from the concrete lip. I waded into the water up to my waist and lifted the trailer by myself the buoyancy factor was in my favour the trailer basically floated once I lifted. He drove forward and away he went. Husband and Wife thanked me and offered me $20. I refused the money of course. I hope those other yuppies in their trucks realized they were a bunch of jerks after watching how easy it was.
Well done sir.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:53 PM

Had my first ever launch at Pine today. Went fairly well. Not sure if he's on here, but thanks to the gentleman who helped me with the load at the end of the day. I have a lot of anxiety about these kinds of things and he offered a hand right away to show us the right way to do things. Invaluable!

Random side note... I really don't like Pine Lake. Completely algae covered everywhere and random unmarked sandbars in the middle of the lake. If you didn't have a sonar with depth reading, you'd never know. I think next time I'll hit Sylvan or Gull....
Old 09-23-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Random side note... I really don't like Pine Lake. Completely algae covered everywhere and random unmarked sandbars in the middle of the lake. If you didn't have a sonar with depth reading, you'd never know. I think next time I'll hit Sylvan or Gull....
If you've got a Lowrance sonar unit you can go to www.genesismaps.com and download the Social Map layer to your unit. You'll have a very accurate map with 1' contour interval detail for many of the lakes in central and southern AB. Pine Lake in particular is almost entirely mapped in high detail. Best of all, it's FREE.

Even if you don't have a Lowrance unit, it might be worth checking out the website and having a look for any potential hazards or trouble spots before you head to a new lake. It's the best mapping available for most AB lakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pine Lake.jpg (88.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Pine Lake 2.jpg (86.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 09-23-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
If you've got a Lowrance sonar unit you can go to www.genesismaps.com and download the Social Map layer to your unit. You'll have a very accurate map with 1' contour interval detail for many of the lakes in central and southern AB. Pine Lake in particular is almost entirely mapped in high detail. Best of all, it's FREE.

Even if you don't have a Lowrance unit, it might be worth checking out the website and having a look for any potential hazards or trouble spots before you head to a new lake. It's the best mapping available for most AB lakes.
Well, sir...I'd been in a heated debate as to what sonar unit I was going to buy and I think you've made up my mind for me. An added bonus for me, there's a company in Manitoba that's doing the best mapping anywhere right now (only MB/NW Ont lakes, unfortunately...) and it's strictly for Lowrance, so I want that for when I'm home. If I can have free detailed maps for AB, then it's decided...
Old 09-23-2019, 06:57 PM

Enjoyed the thread👍. Thanks everyone for being true sportsmen.

Dodger.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
So I just got a new boat, and with the long weekend the launch was busy yesterday. I have little experience at busy launches, but I don't think I was in the wrong.

I docked my boat and was backing my truck up, but I wasn't at the launch yet. But, if you looked you could clearly see I was straightening my trailer so I could back up to the launch.

That's when another small boat pulls up and lands his boat right beside the launch. I could watch him doing it in my mirrors, so that tells you where I was at the launch.

Everyone gets out and one guy walks up to get his truck and looks really ****ed at me that I am backing up. He clearly thought he was next and I was jumping the line.

So, who was right?
he didnt catch anything and his wife told him he had to come home now. i have let the whole boat launch feeling go.

I usually have to load and unload my boat by myself so unless someone has an inspector gadget way of loading they can go pound sand.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:19 AM

Was at cold lake for 3 days in the middle of the week it was still busy at times on the boat launch single launch, anyway some people can do it very fast within a couple minutes some people have to tie the boat up walk up to their trucks try to back in could take 10 minutes people have no patience nowadays but I'm sure glad I don't have to fish any lakes in Alberta too often with a boat.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
It’s amazing how some people will just sit there and watch someone struggle and get pi$$ed off and give them dirty looks. Get off your high horse and offer some help. Last year the water level was low at the lake we were at in Sask. An older couple had launched their pontoon boat but had backed in too far and the trailer tires had gone over the edge of the concrete ramp boat was already off trailer. I pulled in and there were 4 others in line ahead of me sitting there watching this 65 year old couple with there truck in 4 wheel drive trying to get the trailer out without pulling it into 2 pieces. As soon as I pulled in I hoped out of the truck walked past 4 other yuppies sitting in their trucks cursing and swearing and shaking there heads I talked to the frustrated older gentleman and had him back the trailer up a foot or so to get away from the concrete lip. I waded into the water up to my waist and lifted the trailer by myself the buoyancy factor was in my favour the trailer basically floated once I lifted. He drove forward and away he went. Husband and Wife thanked me and offered me $20. I refused the money of course. I hope those other yuppies in their trucks realized they were a bunch of jerks after watching how easy it was.
Good on ya.

I'm always happy to lend a hand as there has always been one when we needed it, pay it forward. Especially to folks who are fairly new at it. The 20 second thing is a touch unrealistic, even with 2 guys and seamless--I need at least 2-3 min.

As for guys pulling up to launch without being ready....well, that's another topic
Old 08-02-2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okotok View Post
or do what this guy does! https://youtu.be/2oq0yno02km
😂😂😂😂
Old 08-02-2020, 07:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Thanks guys, I didn't think I was wrong.

His whole group looked sour while we were loading, but it sure felt to me like they were jumping the line, not me.

I wasn't at the launch, but was backing up to the launch and my buddy was holding my boat by the rope at the dock. We were doing our part to be efficient.

New boat, so there is a learning curve.... I admit that. But I thought he was being a jerk, not me.
Your alright....people make things hard sometimes....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-02-2020, 08:12 AM

I wish there were bleachers set up at our boat launch ,whould be an entertaining way to spend a couple hours.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye guy View Post
I wish there were bleachers set up at our boat launch ,whould be an entertaining way to spend a couple hours.
Cold lake marina the first few days of the season....divorce lawyers just grin and can see thier financial future grow.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-04-2020, 09:41 AM

I have offered many a boater a helping hand especially when the weather gets ugly. Even on the nice days. It don't take long to figure out who could use some assistance. Short in length boat launches are not too bad but it can be quite a challenge for lots on the longer length ones and entertaining. One of the longest ones I've used is at Martha Creek, north of Revelstoke BC. Not a whole lot of room to get straight and it seems like it's over 50 yrds. long and only a single launch. Plus side is it's all paved
There are some weekend times at certain lakes I will just park my boat and watch the show
Old 08-04-2020, 06:21 PM

If anyone has been to Mulhurst boat launch on a Sunday knows what kind of a show to expect there...

A buddy and I were quite far back in the lineup waiting patiently for our turn to load and a lady was attempting to back in to load the boat while the husband was out in the boat. She was clearly frustrated and about to give up when my buddy James walks over to her and asks if she would like some help. She took the offer and proceeded to get out of the vehicle... he stops her and tells her it’s a great time to learn and tells her that all the horn honking was for a pretty girl walking past. He gets her back in the vehicle and and tells her which way to steer and how much, gets in the water and helps her husband hook the chain and winch on.

I’ve been out at Long Lake PP trying to load a boat in a storm in my younger days with my parents and have helped countless others. I’ve been taught to help anyone in need while at the launch and out in the lake.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robins36 View Post
If anyone has been to Mulhurst boat launch on a Sunday knows what kind of a show to expect there...

A buddy and I were quite far back in the lineup waiting patiently for our turn to load and a lady was attempting to back in to load the boat while the husband was out in the boat. She was clearly frustrated and about to give up when my buddy James walks over to her and asks if she would like some help. She took the offer and proceeded to get out of the vehicle... he stops her and tells her it’s a great time to learn and tells her that all the horn honking was for a pretty girl walking past. He gets her back in the vehicle and and tells her which way to steer and how much, gets in the water and helps her husband hook the chain and winch on.

I’ve been out at Long Lake PP trying to load a boat in a storm in my younger days with my parents and have helped countless others. I’ve been taught to help anyone in need while at the launch and out in the lake.
Thats a good way to be! +

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:00 PM

Just don’t be like the idiot at sunbreaker on Sylvan that launched his boat, then tied it up on the dock right in the way of the ramp while he went and parked his truck. He was too lazy or dumb to push it around to the other side so others could continue launching.

Didn’t help his wife and kids had no clue what to do either. Some training should be happening with that family IMO.