Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2017, 08:31 AM

You only get one chance at a first impression.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:36 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
I LOVE destroying first impressions! Honestly, I find my tattoos provide me with a quick and easy assessment of some peoples personalities and I take that info and know how I need to deal with them. I can't count how many people I have helped over the years that confide in me later in our business (and personal for that matter) relationships that upon meeting me they were surprised by my appearance compared to my reputation, but that they quickly realized they were wrong and that they actually have changed their views on people with tattoos.

In the end, if you are intelligent, articulate, personable and know what you are talking about, people will easily pick up on that. I have clients from old great grandmothers to bankers to CEO's to riggers to teenagers etc and my tattoos have never caused an issue.

I am heavily.covered as well in very public spots. Full arms, legs, torso, neck both sides as well as throat, hands, fingers etc.. Still no issues and I work directly with the public and business to business all day, every day.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I LOVE destroying first impressions! Honestly, I find my tattoos provide me with a quick and easy assessment of some peoples personalities and I take that info and know how I need to deal with them. I can't count how many people I have helped over the years that confide in me later in our business (and personal for that matter) relationships that upon meeting me they were surprised by my appearance compared to my reputation, but that they quickly realized they were wrong and that they actually have changed their views on people with tattoos.

In the end, if you are intelligent, articulate, personable and know what you are talking about, people will easily pick up on that. I have clients from old great grandmothers to bankers to CEO's to riggers to teenagers etc and my tattoos have never caused an issue.

I am heavily.covered as well in very public spots. Full arms, legs, torso, neck both sides as well as throat, hands, fingers etc.. Still no issues and I work directly with the public and business to business all day, every day.
Well said. Very well said. Found me a new tireshop!!
Old 04-12-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
To me getting a tattoo would be like having to wear the same pair of orange, purple and green bell bottom pants for the rest of my life, couldn't wait to get a pair in 1970, glad I'm not wearing them now. Tattoo designs come and go out of fashion like clothing, what's fashionable today could look mighty stupid in a few years.
I think you should rock those during hunting. Animals will be taking a second look at you and hunters won't mistake you for game!
Old 04-12-2017, 07:41 AM

Sounds like you have already won. He sounds like he is involved with a good bunch of friends, is in a healthy environment, successful at what he's doing and talks to his dad a lot.
You've won the war man. Don't sweat a little battle.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
A tattoo is a statement directed at others. Just don't be surprised if not everyone agrees with it, or confuses what it means.
I have tats that aren't directed at anyone other than myself. They're in spots where I can cover them in situations, job interviews, family reunions with stodgy old aunties, etc. They are for me only.

The quality of tattoos have progressed so much that most are works of art. Body art. People from all walks of life have them, doctors, nurses, lawyers, etc.

The kid is 20 years old, he's old enough to make his own choices and live with the consequences. Just encourage him not get a tat on his face or neck. Then he at least has options if he has regrets when he gets older.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
A tattoo is a statement directed at others. Just don't be surprised if not everyone agrees with it, or confuses what it means.
I'll have to disagree with you on that one Oki. For myself, and really most people I know that are tatted - the tatts are for me. I think some people like to think that it's a statement for them, but a lot of people think lots of things are about them when they simply aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
To me getting a tattoo would be like having to wear the same pair of orange, purple and green bell bottom pants for the rest of my life, couldn't wait to get a pair in 1970, glad I'm not wearing them now. Tattoo designs come and go out of fashion like clothing, what's fashionable today could look mighty stupid in a few years.
Tattoo designs might come and go in the sense of a snap decision and running to a tattoo shop with your buddies in some drunken stupor, then selecting a random tattoo out of the book and getting it slapped on.

For many, it's quite a long process to develop your idea to a point where a finished product is put on your body. It's usually quite personal.

I have 4 tattoos (at the moment). One is a Maple Leaf on my calf. This is so when i'm vacationing no one thinks I'm American!

One, on my left arm, is a Toronto Maple Leafs crest smashing through glass that had a Canadians logo on it. The broken glass with bits of the Habs logo are all falling down.

Another, on my right arm, is a skull design. I love skulls, and always have. It took me 4 years of concept before i got inked.

None of these tattoos are going out of style.

My fourth one is Taz dunking a basketball on my chest. I was 18. I was drunk. It is now going to be a cover up. With Darth Vader. He ain't EVER going out of style!

Cheers
Old 04-12-2017, 10:38 PM

Default Tattooing

I first got tattooed at the age of 15, back in 1985 when cash talked louder than the birthdate on your drivers licence, and you picked a " flash style" tattoo off the wall. I've still got my very first piece but had a couple other poor choices covered later on. If he's sure of the design he wants,and picks a good artist, then he will most likely be proud and happy with it forever. I'm now 46 and just booked in for a few more hours work on my " Alberta wildlife" based sleeve. I'm telling myself I will be done getting tattooed by the age of 50. There is going to be lots of colourful people in old folks home in the future, but that's the way it goes. No big deal, if you want them, get them, if not, don't.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
I'll have to disagree with you on that one Oki. For myself, and really most people I know that are tatted - the tatts are for me. I think some people like to think that it's a statement for them, but a lot of people think lots of things are about them when they simply aren't.

Tattoo designs might come and go in the sense of a snap decision and running to a tattoo shop with your buddies in some drunken stupor, then selecting a random tattoo out of the book and getting it slapped on.

For many, it's quite a long process to develop your idea to a point where a finished product is put on your body. It's usually quite personal.

I have 4 tattoos (at the moment). One is a Maple Leaf on my calf. This is so when i'm vacationing no one thinks I'm American!

One, on my left arm, is a Toronto Maple Leafs crest smashing through glass that had a Canadians logo on it. The broken glass with bits of the Habs logo are all falling down.

Another, on my right arm, is a skull design. I love skulls, and always have. It took me 4 years of concept before i got inked.

None of these tattoos are going out of style.

My fourth one is Taz dunking a basketball on my chest. I was 18. I was drunk. It is now going to be a cover up. With Darth Vader. He ain't EVER going out of style!

Cheers
A little contradiction there my friend. You say the tats are for you, not for the others, yet you got the maple leaf so that OTHERS don't think you are something that you aren't
Old 04-13-2017, 10:03 AM

OP, too bad you didn't open the thread a couple of weeks earlier. There was a tattoo convention in Edmonton, would've been great opportunity to go in and familiarize yourself with what tattoos has become since your jail/gang stereotype has settled in.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
A little contradiction there my friend. You say the tats are for you, not for the others, yet you got the maple leaf so that OTHERS don't think you are something that you aren't
You're right, a little contradiction on that one. I could have accomplished it with a hat, a lanyard, a big sweater. But the essence of the maple leaf is homage to my home country, and will be expanded with sask/alberta - moose jaw/red deer. it's for me. It's placement is definitely for maximum viewing when i'm cruising beaches of foreign countries.

Cheers
Old 04-13-2017, 10:46 AM

Your son is almost 20 and plays for the Wildcats? Heck, I probably know your son, lol.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I am absolutely negative for tatoo-for me it's like "I am gang member".And I was in jail.Plus it's distinguished mark for you ID.
But my son who is almost 20 wants to get some.
Help me to talk him off.
He is football player with WildCats and it's not because of low selfconfidence
The only suggestion I have is keep in where it would be covered up with long sleeves incase he choses a office job
I got one just to get it out of my system and was mainly to **** my mom off cause she never supported my decision lol but I still like it
Old 04-14-2017, 10:58 AM

Default tattoos

(19 years ago) At the age of 19, I got a tattoo in the army. Parents didn't like it.
Dad would have tried to talked me out of it.
so I didn't ask. Be glad your son did.
As a result of him pushing his beliefs onto me and being extremely controlling and being non supportive my relationship with him is non exsistant. haven't spoke to my parents nearing 10 years.

Support him in anything he is interested in, tell him how you feel about it and leave it alone. He is 20 years old, let him decide what he would like to do about a tattoo. Support him either way. Let him learn from his mistakes to better himself. Stand back and see if he makes the right choices, you will see that you taught him well and he has learned from you.

professional should be based on work ethics, the right attire for the job, and appearance and should have little to do with a tattoo

just my two cents
Old 04-14-2017, 12:33 PM

Tattoo's are no big deal anymore, almost everyone from 16 year old girls to soccer moms have them, so not many people bat an eye unless its something really extreme.

I don't have any and can't really think of a reason I'd ever want one, but they don't bother me on other people, unless they are really awful. I will say I have seen a lot more really shabby looking "art" than I have really good stuff, but there are obviously some pretty talented artists out there.

The only thing I find interesting about tattoo's is the mentality of the wearer when they got them. Some are obviously personal to the wearer, and you can usually tell which those are, but imo the majority of the ones I see are done in an attempt to convey an image to others. I notice this especially in women, tattoo's on the back of the neck or other place where they can never see them without carefully arranged mirrors. It makes them easily visible to others but not to themselves, so I'm not buying the personal meaning angle on those. Not that it matters, pretty much everyone is trying to convey an image in one way or another, whether consciously or otherwise.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:36 PM
Banned

I love awful tattoos, especially on other people like this guy.

UK man wakes up from drunken bucks party to find Ray-Ban sunglasses tattooed to his face.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/rea...ea2b5ef304da16

Old 04-14-2017, 12:51 PM

It's 2017.. who cares. Im covered in tattoos. My grandma from Saskatchewan doesn't care.. neither should anyone else haha
Old 04-14-2017, 01:01 PM

Default Tattoo

I have no desire to be inked and I have no issues with the men and women that get inked. My question is this, am I going to offend anyone if I ask to get a better look and a story about the ink. Not looking to get an ass kicking for just looking at the art.
Just asking.Thanks.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy 0-0-7 View Post
I have no desire to be inked and I have no issues with the men and women that get inked. My question is this, am I going to offend anyone if I ask to get a better look and a story about the ink. Not looking to get an ass kicking for just looking at the art.
Just asking.Thanks.
I often ask, and always answer when I'm asked. I always see it as an opportunity to have a conversation with a stranger who:
a) might have a similar interest
b) overcome a stereotype
c) tell my story
d) hear their story

I've met some fascinating prople, I've met some hum-drum people too. Some people have amazing stories behind their tattoos - as has been illustrated in this thread. Some people were just bored. Some were drunk. I love to hear everyone of them.

I've never been punched in the nose for asking

Cheers
Old 04-14-2017, 03:59 PM

Tatoo's. Can be a whoops, have great meaning or just a way to be unique. To each their own. I would not judge anyone i meet who has them based on that fact, the old stereotype only a outlaw biker or Satan worshiper had them are long gone Imo. Only my parents generation(80 ish) still think that.

Now if your all tatted up, face, neck, everywhere, piercing out the ying and yang and you can't get that job in retail or a job where you have to greet/meet customers, I think you know why.

I have no urge for one but if my kids wanted one or more, I would only say be sure it's what you want as it will be with you forever, really think about where its going to be and go to a reputable artist with clean equipment. Last thing you want is to be that person on a reality tv show where your looking to get a mistake covered lol.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:23 AM

Default Tattoos

"A tattoo is a statement directed at others. Just don't be surprised if not everyone agrees with it, or confuses what it means." Oki

I disgree with oki. while some tattoos, to which I ll give that you, may be directed at others. Most tattoos are not directed at others, some tell a story on how person was in the past and some are in memory of others.
some of the Tatts that I want to get has a meaning to me, and has an story behind it. Tattoos of memorial, heritage, marked mile stone in life, and an quote for personal reasons.
These tattoos are not directed at anyone but are my beliefs and tells my life's story in ink by means of art. They served to remind me of who I once was and where I am in life now so far. More may be added later.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:23 AM

Default need help

As for me, I'm thinking about having a wolf ink, but I'm not sure with the design!I've found some fabulous designs here http://flowertattooideas.com/wolf-tattoo-designs/, but know I can't choose..http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/image...nking-006.gifI need your expert advice, guys!http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/test.gif
Old 04-17-2017, 09:50 AM

A wolf is always a good choice.

If you wanted to ramp it up a bit, go with 3 wolves.

If they were howling at the moon, that would be just about as perfect as it gets.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:17 PM

tattos are certainly appear to be the mainstream decorations of late maybe MMA has something to do with it. it appears that the fighters all are required.
its almost odd to see a mma guy without one.

i got no use for them myself but i do think that persons with diabetes could have one on there wrist saying type 2 etc, or a bee sting allergy etc.

i understand that health care will pay for these types of tattoos.
i also never read all the response so im sorry if these have been posted.
putting ones family tartan might be like putting your girlfriends name on your arm. what if you elect not to support or agree with or get ejected from your 'family gang'.
scars are free and usually come with a story

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31

Last edited by roger; 04-17-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:59 PM

Funny you should mention.....

Old 04-17-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
putting ones family tartan might be like putting your girlfriends name on your arm. what if you elect not to support or agree with or get ejected from your 'family gang'.
You cannot simply disown your clan , it would kid be like telling people your hirth mother was not your birth mother!

Ton be outcast from your Clan you would have to dishonour the Clan in some way and THAT will never happen in our family - too much Jon or and respect glows through our veins.

I was very pleased that my son got inked with the Gordon crest!
Cat
Old 04-17-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
funny you should say that...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (16.7 KB, 43 views)
Old 04-17-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
Im a strong believer of this. A cousin of mine got tatoos and a scarafication on her forehead. Unless she working in a new age pot shop her chamces for a job are nill. So long as you dont mind people judging you based on your tattos go for it. But dont complain when people do.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You cannot simply disown your clan , it would kid be like telling people your hirth mother was not your birth mother!

Ton be outcast from your Clan you would have to dishonour the Clan in some way and THAT will never happen in our family - too much Jon or and respect glows through our veins.
im happy that we live in society that allows that but a clan can disown a member i beleive in certain cultures its called apostaphy....
im being very simplistic but a clan, tribal, team, group, collective, call it what you will it still has a 'gang mentality'...basically right or wrong its follow the leader.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Funny you should mention.....

thats what im talking about!!
im sure every first responder thanks you.