Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-19-2016, 03:00 PM

Default 510 bow hunting advice

Hey guys, bare with me here. Just looking for some advice. I don't need your honey pots or GPS coordinates, just experience. This is my first year bowhunting in WMU 510, and it will be my long term location as I now have a lake lot.

A little background, I have been on the ground scouting since May long weekend. I have 3 cameras, and three tree stands up. And as of this season I have 13 days in on the stand. All days ranging from 9-11 hours. I in no way am scared of putting in the time or the effort as I would like to become the best hunter possible over the years.

Here's my dilemma. Since May long, on 3 cameras I have seen 5-7 bucks. Non of them regularly and in no way do any of the locations seem like their frequent hideouts. many does/fawns have burned through. In the 13 days in the stand I have seen 9 or so does/fawns, and a black bear. 0 bucks, 0 moose. To be clear I am hunting whitetail a as I do not have a draw for moose.

Everywhere I hunt is dense Forrest, bog, lake. No fields, crops, or openings. I have been hunting corners of openings, cut lines, and low points in the Forrest. Not much traffic, no success.

I am wondering what I should be looking for that I'm missing. I have never hunted such a dense area. I look for rubs, scrapes, beds, droppings.... Nothing so far for scrapes or rubs... Lots of droppings, but in the does main areas. Anyone have experience in this type of vegetation/land? I have a hard time figuring out moving patterns as water, shelter, food is legit everywhere for these animals. Any tips or advice would be great. If you have first hand knowledge of this area even better.

Thanks for the patience.

Clarky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2016, 04:49 PM

What kind of water do you have nearby ?
Old 09-19-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugEye View Post
What kind of water do you have nearby ?

Quite a few lakes and large ponds. Not a lot of running streams. River about 10 or so kms away as the crow flies.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:04 PM

I'd save those long sits until rattling season and then into the rut
Old 09-19-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
I'd save those long sits until rattling season and then into the rut

I agree it's a bit early for sure, just trying to get somewhat of an idea if I'm even in the right areas or if I'm way out. It's fairly discouraging on 3 cameras to have such non existent buck presence in 4 months.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:47 PM

Default Cameras

I think you should use those cameras, move them to other trails. You may have low densities or your not on a major travel corridor. I've hunted that zone and similar areas before, big bush country is a tough egg to crack. Use those cameras, move them around! Its hard when you have stands hung already, but don't let that force you to sit in cold stands all season.
We're you able to find bedding areas during scouting?
Old 09-19-2016, 10:10 PM

I don't hunt big bush much anymore but used to hunt it exclusively. I'd suggest looking for terrain funnels. The low spot crossing a ridge, the skinny spot across a dirty swamp, the area between two long skinny lakes, a beaver dam etc. You're looking for the easy way between point A and B. Areas like this will be best in the rut but will be used all year.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
I think you should use those cameras, move them to other trails. You may have low densities or your not on a major travel corridor. I've hunted that zone and similar areas before, big bush country is a tough egg to crack. Use those cameras, move them around! Its hard when you have stands hung already, but don't let that force you to sit in cold stands all season.

We're you able to find bedding areas during scouting?

Thanks full curl. Have found two spots with beds, moved my camera near one of them last week. Good thinking on switching things up though.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
I don't hunt big bush much anymore but used to hunt it exclusively. I'd suggest looking for terrain funnels. The low spot crossing a ridge, the skinny spot across a dirty swamp, the area between two long skinny lakes, a beaver dam etc. You're looking for the easy way between point A and B. Areas like this will be best in the rut but will be used all year.

All good points. Thanks. I'll continue to try to find these areas.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Old rubs, or new rubs, fine the sign and set up cameras to see what's happening. Another three weeks ish and there will be an increase in rubs and scrapes so stay on top on it.
Bush hunting is tuff not like your going to sit a klick away in your truck and glass the grasslands etc.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-20-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Old rubs, or new rubs, fine the sign and set up cameras to see what's happening. Another three weeks ish and there will be an increase in rubs and scrapes so stay on top on it.

Bush hunting is tuff not like your going to sit a klick away in your truck and glass the grasslands etc.

Rubs will help a bunch. I thought I would see velvet rubs, but no such luck

Old 09-20-2016, 12:23 PM

If you have pinpointed a doe bedding area, I'd save it for late October and November. Then there will be bucks around.

Otherwise, big bush country is tough. A buck can have food, water and shelter all within 300 yards and never leave unless he is pushed. Check your maps for isolated areas...and I mean real isolation, places that aren't accessible by quad.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
If you have pinpointed a doe bedding area, I'd save it for late October and November. Then there will be bucks around.

Otherwise, big bush country is tough. A buck can have food, water and shelter all within 300 yards and never leave unless he is pushed. Check your maps for isolated areas...and I mean real isolation, places that aren't accessible by quad.

Thanks 3blade. I think I'll check the Google machine this week and go for a walk this weekend to try and find some of these areas.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:31 PM

Anytime. Also...shoot the damn bear (or let me shoot it) If you have a good deer area that you want to hunt long term, you best do some predator control.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:31 PM
Gone Hunting

Get around CNRL & Husky produced water tanks, as there is usually some briny water around them. If it is dry, the ground will be crusted with salt and the deer will chew on the dirt for the salt.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa View Post
Get around CNRL & Husky produced water tanks, as there is usually some briny water around them. If it is dry, the ground will be crusted with salt and the deer will chew on the dirt for the salt.

Very interesting. I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for sign indicating this. Thank you.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:16 PM

Pm sent.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2016, 04:22 PM

1 - you've found deer - that is awesome.
2 - follow the games trails - at some point you should find a ground or tree scrape, from there you can figure out if you need to change stand placement.
3 - don't be afraid to move a stand - I've done it and had deer sniff it that same day.
4 - don't bump them out of bedding areas so if the game trail fans out and diminishes, back out and stick to the heavier tracked part of the trails.
5 - bucks will come for the does in November - if you've seen bucks on camera, they're around. They have too many routes in thick bush to stay consistent to only 1 trail.

I have hunted 510 exclusively for my hunting years, and bush hunting is an excellent lesson in patience, slow hunting, and playing the wind.
As you continue to hunt your area, you'll learn more and more every day and where they travel and when.
How heavy a game trail is used by the deer changes throughout the season, so what seems a busy trail 1 week, can turn cold the next week and vice versa.
Rattling works really well mid-November!
Old 09-21-2016, 08:56 PM

Really great points charves. I'm hoping to be tagged out before November, but if I'm not, I will definitely put that into the toolbox!

Old 09-22-2016, 10:52 AM

9-11 hours on stands during this time .... I would save those sits for mid October and later. Just my two cents. You may burn out.

Keep putting out cameras on subtle game trails, the bucks will eventually start moving on them.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa View Post
not the best tip out there, lots of risks involved with hunting around a lease site or well site. please keep in mind that these sites are people's places of work.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:19 PM

I understand your point on safety, I'm strictly bow hunting. No risk of mistaking identities. And IMO all hunters should be respecting all respective areas in which they wander.