Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-27-2018, 04:50 PM

Default Firearm for US property

Wondering about this one for a while. We bought a property in Montana. Am I legally able to purchase a firearm in the states, and leave it at my property there? I would not ever be transporting it across the border. Just would like to have something at the cabin, and to have when out in the bush on the RZR. Always carry one on the machine up here, in case we were ever stranded. I’ll be checking with customs etc, but just curious if anyone has any experience in such matters. Thanks
Old 02-27-2018, 05:20 PM

We have some land down by Dickey Lake in Montana, and after a couple of black bears and coyotes came through the site, i wanted something to protect my kids and dogs in case anything happened with them...
Unless you have dual citizenship, or some kind of permanent residency down there, you can’t buy or obtain a firearm legally.
However, you CAN take a firearm (or several) down there if you have a PAL in Canada and you fill out and send in form 6NIA and send it in to the ATF.
I filled it out and sent it in for the first time a few weeks ago, and they just yesterday called me to verify information and the reasoning behind needing/wanting a firearm down there.
If you’re a resident of any country other than Canada, you need either a valid hunting license or an invitation to a shooting event in order to cross the border - but i told her i wanted it for wild animal defense on my own property, and she said that was considered a valid reason.
You DO have to bring it home with you after each time you go down there (can’t leave it there), and I’m pretty certain you have to reapply every year.

Look it up online for more information - this is my first year doing this, so I’m not an expert.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:58 PM

Yep pretty much you have to be a resident down down here in order to purchase a firearm. Granted you could just buy through a private sale, not that it would be legal so I wouldn't recommend it. One reason I got my PAL for Canada for when I go back to visit family.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
We have some land down by Dickey Lake in Montana, and after a couple of black bears and coyotes came through the site, i wanted something to protect my kids and dogs in case anything happened with them...
Unless you have dual citizenship, or some kind of permanent residency down there, you can’t buy or obtain a firearm legally.
However, you CAN take a firearm (or several) down there if you have a PAL in Canada and you fill out and send in form 6NIA and send it in to the ATF.
I filled it out and sent it in for the first time a few weeks ago, and they just yesterday called me to verify information and the reasoning behind needing/wanting a firearm down there.
If you’re a resident of any country other than Canada, you need either a valid hunting license or an invitation to a shooting event in order to cross the border - but i told her i wanted it for wild animal defense on my own property, and she said that was considered a valid reason.
You DO have to bring it home with you after each time you go down there (can’t leave it there), and I’m pretty certain you have to reapply every year.

Look it up online for more information - this is my first year doing this, so I’m not an expert.
Great information! Thanks. I’ll get on that right away.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:10 PM
Banned

I asked the guys ar cabelas in Phoenix the same question, I cant buy new but nothing stopping from buying used and having it for protection only. It’s not for sport and his comment was to leave it in the house, not sure about the legality of it.