Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-27-2010, 12:50 PM

Default Stock Checkering Restoration? Parker Hale Rings?

Anyone down south that can do some stock checkering restoration work for me? Someone about 35+ yrs ago attempted an amateur hour refinish job and sanded the checkering pretty bad. I'm bringin' back the original oil finish and I'd try it myself but it's my late father's old BSA 270 Featherweight and I'd rather not eff it up twice.

Also; I'll be damned if I can find where I put the old scope rings. If anyone has an old set of Parker Hale rings to fit on a BSA featherweight w/the built in rails, I'll put'em to good use. Otherwise the rifle has to go into the gunsmith for a checkup and he can make something work.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2010, 03:42 PM

Dembart checkering tools sells complete sets of tools but you would have to know lines per inch to match the existing (whats left of it) pattern. Normally if the lines are not sanded a touch up can be accomplished with just the checkering v-(veining) tool to restore some crispness.

While you are at it I highly recommend his european oil finish which you rub in and then wet sand. Factory finish results. did two stocks this past winter.
Rob
Old 03-28-2010, 03:40 PM

How does some checkering get the burned look. Some just accent the stock so much better when the checkering has that burnt look.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewest View Post
How does some checkering get the burned look. Some just accent the stock so much better when the checkering has that burnt look.
The "burned look" is a sign of poor checkering IMO. Good professionally done checkering should not distract the eye and interrupt the grain structure of the wood.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-28-2010, 07:32 PM

Check out the gun show next weekend, for the rings. There are usually a couple of people there who have stuff, like that.
Grizz
Old 03-29-2010, 12:49 PM

Dark checkering can also be a sign of the use of alcanet root stain which is very common for european but especially British stock makes to use to bring out the grain. If the dark "burnt" area has a reddish purple hue to it I would bet it is alcanet root.
Staining wooden stocks is frowned upon by the purist stockmakers of the US especially but accenting the grain with alcanet is very common in Britain. Gives the light wood a nice orange tinge and darkens the dark swirls in good wood to a deep blue/purple.
Rob
Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 PM

Chuck that is a real nice piece by the look of it. What I see alot is the stock is dark and the checking blends right in. Its nice but it doesn't accent it. Don't you think checkering should accent the stock? Sorry I didn't want to steal your thread I just always wondered about tis.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:35 AM
Precisionshooter

I have a set of 1'Parker Hale rings for the dovetail. They are mint, but someone cut the recoil pin down to probably a tikka so the pressed in pin isn't protruding. Can't recall if the BSA uses the pin. If you needed it, the old pin would have to be driven out and a new one put in (press or drill and tap).
Old 03-31-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewest View Post
Chuck that is a real nice piece by the look of it. What I see alot is the stock is dark and the checking blends right in. Its nice but it doesn't accent it. Don't you think checkering should accent the stock? Sorry I didn't want to steal your thread I just always wondered about tis.
That stock is checkered by arguably one of the worlds best. IMO that checkering accents the stock perfectly as is.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-31-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
I have a set of 1'Parker Hale rings for the dovetail. They are mint, but someone cut the recoil pin down to probably a tikka so the pressed in pin isn't protruding. Can't recall if the BSA uses the pin. If you needed it, the old pin would have to be driven out and a new one put in (press or drill and tap).
Yeah it uses a recoil pin, it may need it. That little rifle could bite if you weren't ready.

PM headed your way

Thanks
Old 04-01-2010, 04:01 PM

Chuch your looks good its is not a real dark stock. What I meant is when you have a dark walnut stock te checkering blends in. Who did the work for you?
Old 04-01-2010, 04:02 PM

It isn't my stock, and the work was done by D'Arcy Echols. I think it was originally done for his father.

-Billy Molls