Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-01-2012, 08:43 PM

Default Heart Lake

Just wondering if anyone has tried Heart Lake by Lac La Biche recently or over the summer? I've been told the perch and walleye fishing is decent, can anybody verify this? Any other general tips about the lake would be appreciated
Old 02-02-2012, 10:19 AM

General consensus on here is it isnt worth the hassle with the locals.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post
General consensus on here is it isnt worth the hassle with the locals.
Ice fishing may not be as bad but as for leaving my truck on shore in the summer....not a chance.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:38 PM

Fished at Heart Lake a few weeks ago. Very nice lake, lots of interesting drop offs, islands, weed beds etc. The fishing was very good.

Prior to going up there, I read lots of posts in this message board about bad experiences with locals. As fate would have it, we ended up with a dead battery in our vehicle, in the middle of the lake as the sun was going down. One of us walked to shore and had to get assistance. we flagged down 2 locals and had to ask for help. Without hesitation the two guys had my buddy jump in with them and they drove out to us and gave us a boost. We offered the guys $20 for their troubles and they refused and said to not even worry about it.

Needless to say, my preconceived notions were proved very wrong. I'm sure things may happen from time to time, but hopefully thos are just a few isolated incidents.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis_rak View Post
Fished at Heart Lake a few weeks ago. Very nice lake, lots of interesting drop offs, islands, weed beds etc. The fishing was very good.

Prior to going up there, I read lots of posts in this message board about bad experiences with locals. As fate would have it, we ended up with a dead battery in our vehicle, in the middle of the lake as the sun was going down. One of us walked to shore and had to get assistance. we flagged down 2 locals and had to ask for help. Without hesitation the two guys had my buddy jump in with them and they drove out to us and gave us a boost. We offered the guys $20 for their troubles and they refused and said to not even worry about it.

Needless to say, my preconceived notions were proved very wrong. I'm sure things may happen from time to time, but hopefully thos are just a few isolated incidents.
Good to hear. What were you fishing for?
Old 02-02-2012, 05:11 PM

It has been horribly slow up there far better options not far from there .
Old 02-02-2012, 07:51 PM

Pm sent
Old 02-03-2012, 12:53 AM

When I was there a few weeks back, the fishing was far from slow. We targeted pike for the most part and landed a half dozen over the 10lb mark, biggest being 16 and another half dozen in the 5-7lb range (good keepers).

I spent the last hour or so of daylight targeting perch on a rocky dropoff and caught a handful of 8"ers in short order along with a 7lb walleye (on my 5of diamonds with maggots) that came along.

Thant being said, the guys I fished with said that was the best day they had in 5 days they fished there this season...