Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2017, 08:50 AM

Default Good sources for tying materials?

So I've been getting into tying. Just picked up a vise and tools. Now I'm wondering about the best place to get materials, hooks. Obviously I've seen lots at Wholesale, Cabelas, etc. but I'm guessing those are probably the most expensive sources. I've heard some material can be obtained at craft shops like Michaels. Obviously there would be internet sources as well. What do you like to get where?

And what would be your starting material list to start tying basic trout flies for use in Southern Alberta? Let's say your top ten must-have materials. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
So I've been getting into tying. Just picked up a vise and tools. Now I'm wondering about the best place to get materials, hooks. Obviously I've seen lots at Wholesale, Cabelas, etc. but I'm guessing those are probably the most expensive sources. I've heard some material can be obtained at craft shops like Michaels. Obviously there would be internet sources as well. What do you like to get where?

And what would be your starting material list to start tying basic trout flies for use in Southern Alberta? Let's say your top ten must-have materials. Thanks!
Your best bet is to pick flies you want to tie and buy the materials needed. There is really no such thing as a must have material unless you are talking thread. Make a list of flies you want to tie, find out what you need and order it. I found trying to get my stuff from small Canadian stores was killing me in shipping because I would have to order from so many different places. So now I limit my orders to Canadian Llama, great selection of hooks, DAIICHI hooks are awesome, and for most materials I use Bob Marriott's out of the States. I like Bob's because they have a great selection and have good stock on hand. One stop shopping.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-30-2017, 10:56 AM

There are lots of threads on this but I don't buy many materials at all. It's amazing at how much you can get for free just by keeping your eye out. A lot of tying materials are the same as everyday materials. Or very close to it. As far as fur and feathers I hunt and have a trapper friend that I get most stuf from. Also got into dying materials this winter which also makes things cheep. Now it is a lot more work to do things like this but that's why I like it. Everything I have tied has come from my own hard work
Old 05-30-2017, 01:04 PM

As already said, figure out what you want to tie first. If you want lake flies, there are different considerations than you would use for river flies. Have to build any from the hook up. Start with what you want that fly to do for you, float? sink? fast or slow sink? Some materials are pesky and messy, such as deer & elk hair, but they float great, and in some cases work well on a weighted nymph at the bottom. In a lake, you can use beads or lead to get a fly down faster.A skinny thread/tinsel fly on a heavy hook will also get down there, just a bit slower, but maybe not fast enough for flowing water.
Just remember there are only a few basic fly styles, you vary the material on top of those.
Light wire hooks bend easier, but, float better. Heavy wire hooks can be floated with enough of the right material.
There are a good number of fairly universal patterns, worms, mayfly nymphs, wooly buggers, caddis. Stones are river flies, some baitfish patterns are primarily river flies, but, can work in a lake or salt, with a colour or material change. A deceiver or a clouser is good in any water with a predatory fish in it.
And they all need different hooks, different tying styles and different sizes. Then it is what type of weight, what type of tail, what type of body/ thorax, what type of wingcase/head, dull or flashy. Or what type of material gives the best movement.
No one group of stuff will accomplish all that you may want to try to achieve.
Some dubbings float better, some sink better, some give movement, some are flashy. Some feathers are better for hackle, some for some reflectiveness that is suttle, some for movement. And now there is a gong show of synthetic materials to use for all sorts of ideas that you can come up with, and all coloured to suit your fancy. Some materials shed water better and are easier to cast all day on big patterns. Afraid there are no easy answers.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Your best bet is to pick flies you want to tie and buy the materials needed. There is really no such thing as a must have material unless you are talking thread. Make a list of flies you want to tie, find out what you need and order it. I found trying to get my stuff from small Canadian stores was killing me in shipping because I would have to order from so many different places. So now I limit my orders to Canadian Llama, great selection of hooks, DAIICHI hooks are awesome, and for most materials I use Bob Marriott's out of the States. I like Bob's because they have a great selection and have good stock on hand. One stop shopping.
This is not the first time I have heard this advice, but it is still the best advice I have received in regards to fly tying.

There is a hidden cost in fly tying, and that is the cost of learning. I would say it takes 20-30 tries to get a fly 'right'. Do not get me wrong, my first few crappy flies still caught fish, but they tended to suffer from durability issues. I find the smaller nymphs catch more fish when you can give the fly better proportions.

OP: Pick a couple streamers, dries, and nymphs (6-9 patterns), then you can create a must-have list.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:38 PM

Ya, I agree with what's been said above. Better to start from the top down (fly --> material) rather than the bottom up (material --> fly).
Old 05-30-2017, 09:11 PM

Peacock herle
brown Hackle
Grizzly Hackle
Seal Brown Cheneille, dubbing
White calftail
Natural deer hair
Bleached deer/elk hair
Turkey wing
Turkey tail
Yellow and orange dubbing and or polypropelene

In no particular order
Old 05-31-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:

If you are down in Calgary I would give you some polar bear fur. Lots of uses.

Those static bags for computer memory cards etc make for good scud backs.

some old wiring is made up of lots of thin wires. A few feet of that and you have thin ribbing for chironomids and leeches etc.

I have brushed our cat and made some good grey shrimp out of the dubbing.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-31-2017, 09:53 AM

Thanks guys. Note taken about essential items. I'll figure out what I want to tie and go from there. But how about some more sources? For those in Calgary, good places to pick up materials? Favourite one stop online or mail order places? Thanks.

Oh and Sundance, I'm in downtown Calgary every day. I'll take some of the polar bear fur! it's not illegal, is it? LOL
Old 05-31-2017, 10:04 AM
Banned

Default Fly's Etc..

In High River , then you can go to the Hitching post
And gave a great shake .
Old 05-31-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellknik View Post
In High River , then you can go to the Hitching post
And gave a great shake .
hmmmm good reason to go down and see new store. Haven't been there since they moved.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys. Note taken about essential items. I'll figure out what I want to tie and go from there. But how about some more sources? For those in Calgary, good places to pick up materials? Favourite one stop online or mail order places? Thanks.

Oh and Sundance, I'm in downtown Calgary every day. I'll take some of the polar bear fur! it's not illegal, is it? LOL
In my experience, Fish Tales has the better selection of tying materials. Country Pleasures has the better tying advice.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:49 PM

I would say Fish Tales has the most complete selection in town for tying materials, Iron Bow would be next, then Wholesale. Seeing as you work downtown, Bow River is a very good store, krappy location for those who don't go downtown. You can check out Pieroway downtown as well, when they are open.
Online, I have used Cdn Llama, Togen's, Flymart. Also used Glasgow Angling ctr and Fulling Mills across the pond. Never hurts to look at sites like Spirit River, Montana fly co, Hareline, Stillwater solutions, Veniard, Flybox UK and Semperfli, Fishient Just add H2O products.
A lot of the different branded synthetic materials are made from much the same stuff, some a little finer, or a little more limp, have to get some hands on to figure out what you like best. Lots are made to catch the artistic fly tyer, can't resist a colour, looks cool, etc.
You want to watch how people apply those materials, you tube is the source to go to. Personally, I like watching Phil Rowley, Brian Chan, John Kent, Gary Hanke, Davie McPhail, Jim Misuria, Kelly Galloup, Lefty Kreh and Bob Clouser. There are some really good Scandinavian tiers as well, and some from Europe. Can look at the people who do competitions as well, Cdn National team, Us, UK , any country in Europe. Troutlegends blog is good.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:41 PM

When I wanted some gel core fritz to tie boobies I ordered from Robinson's Outdoor Store in Victoria. Service was excellent and their inventory is huge.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:50 AM
Banned

I think I'll start a weekly post regarding fly tying materials cuz its only been done a million times.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:19 AM

[QUOTE=ShortsideK;3552515]I think I'll start a weekly post regarding fly tying materials cuz its only been done a million times./QUOTE]

Osmosis can be a very gradual process, so be gentle here SK.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
I think I'll start a weekly post regarding fly tying materials cuz its only been done a million times.
Thanks!
Old 06-01-2017, 02:15 PM

Figure out what patterns you use the most then go to the store and buy only what you need for the patterns that you are tying.
Buy quality materials as it will make tying easier and you will be happier with what you tied sooner. Not all flies and tying materials are used to catch fish, a lot of it is used to catch fisherman. LOL
Keep a journal for recipes for you flies as the more you learn to tie the more you forget how to tie.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
things change
Old 06-01-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
Keep a journal for recipes for you flies as the more you learn to tie the more you forget how to tie.
That's a really good idea. Would be a good record. And I could record the success of the pattern, what was caught, under what conditions....
Old 06-01-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
That's a really good idea. Would be a good record. And I could record the success of the pattern, what was caught, under what conditions....
I keep a fishing journal summarizing the highlights (or lowlights) of each trip, patterns used, conditions, the odd photograph of fish/scenery/birds, etc., and photos of successful fly patterns. Into my 7th volume since 1997; before that I just have chicken scratches in a variety of note books. Nobody is going to be interested in these when I kick the bucket but it adds another dimension to the sport.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Adams View Post
things change
The more things change, the more they remain the same.