Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Banned

Cool

solution?? flood affected area with triploid predators ,pike ,walleye, ling, stock juvenile sturgeon prior to the carp spawn. use the resources we have at hand to quickly control their spread by natural means. lets hope some one has their game face on cause if they make tollman bridge its game over.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:46 PM

Sorry, just found the links with photos. It was not one of those which I caught. Thank goodness.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Banned

Silver crucian carp has been in alberta for some time, i'm surprised that only now they've been discovered. I found them in serviceberry creek(one of the irrigation ponds). Irrigation district knows about these fish as i've talked to an officer that was checking my license. I doubt anything can be done now. That same dugout pond has lake whites, pike, perch, silver crucian, two types of suckers, tulebee, shiners, and probably some other fish i haven't cought from it. It seems to me that all these fish are doing just fine, especially pike.

If it was golden crucian(which is now almost extinct thanks to silver crucian) it wouldn't be able to survive, as it is very vulnerable, but this silver crucian is very prolific, it destroyed numerous fish species in Danube basin when it was introduced in late 50's early 60's. As did american bullhead catfish. Craziest thing about this specie is the ability to switch sex, this way they always have an optimum number of males to females, and every spawn is a very successful.

Good luck exterminating them, if they hit the flowing water as sundance states it's game over. They will spread, and they spread fast!
Old 03-02-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Well they are BIG, right? How hard are they to catch? What lure do you think would work best? I'M PUMPED!!!!!

Electro fishing!! That's how! Shock the water, net the Carp, other fish regain life moments after! Problem solved! Lol
Old 03-02-2012, 07:38 PM

Serviceberry creek....ponds south of Rockyford....time for exploring.

Irrigation water from Chestermere sure can bring pike a long way

Last edited by goldscud; 03-02-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttCan View Post
Electro fishing!! That's how! Shock the water, net the Carp, other fish regain life moments after! Problem solved! Lol
Easier said than done.

What about juveniles and fish fry?
Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Easier said than done.

What about juveniles and fish fry?
my solution may take that into account.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:09 PM

http://aquality.ca/uploads/news/id10...urvey_2009.pdf

Interesting. There was a study done that found a concentration of carp. Did something fall through the cracks? The correct person not get notified? What is the fast response policy for illegal introductions in Alberta?

I saw an interesting show in Hawaii about non native introductions. They have a fast response system that has proven to have a good chance of halting an introduction of non native species if identified early.

2009 to 2012...I am speechless.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Banned

Well, lets go catch them all...

Cooking Prussian Carp
Old 03-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Banned

Cool

if the introduced fish make it passed tollman the regs make it very difficult to angle carp bait ban most of the year.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtracker View Post
Any photos of this carp? I caught something that seemed to resemble a carp on the Sask side of the SSR this last fall. But could not tell 100% what the heck is was.
Those are silver red horse suckers. I thought the same thing........the way to tell them apart is the barbels on the corners of carps mouths. suckers dont have them.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Banned

Think of this introduction as a part of the wonderful cultural mosiac in this country.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Banned

Cool

I heard a rumor that a dyke on a pond south of threehills failed, introducing perch into the red deer system if so flood the system with perch. in my opinion change the ecology in the river in favor of native species. fastest workable solution I can come up with.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Think of this introduction as a part of the wonderful cultural mosiac in this country.
lol. I don't feel that the carp share the same values as the walleye and pike though.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Well, lets go catch them all...

Cooking Prussian Carp
Would it not be awesome if it was that simple.

Come Spring...how many thousands will be flushed to the Red Deer. How are they going to impact spawning goldeye, walleye, mooneye and sauger in the Red Deer? How much food will waves of carp eat? Anyone on this forum even care about fishing the Red Deer? How about the South Saskatchewan? Anyone like fishing for walleye? Ever see a carp suck eggs off the bottom of the river, root up vegetation, destroy banks, increase erosion...

Seems like many people are not understanding the gravity of this situation. I wonder if the local fish and game groups along the Mississippi thought asian carp where fun to laugh at back when they first got out?
Old 03-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
lol. I don't feel that the carp share the same values as the walleye and pike though.
If worse comes to worse I wonder how the pike and walleye would actually make out.

Hello to our British and Central European members of this forum who have fished in waters with all three species.

Don't be afraid to post. Your spelling and grammar is ok.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

Come Spring...how many thousands will be flushed to the Red Deer. How are they going to impact spawning goldeye, walleye, mooneye and sauger in the Red Deer? How much food will waves of carp eat? Anyone on this forum even care about fishing the Red Deer? How about the South Saskatchewan? Anyone like fishing for walleye? Ever see a carp suck eggs off the bottom of the river, root up vegetation, destroy banks, increase erosion...

Seems like many people are not understanding the gravity of this situation. I wonder if the local fish and game groups along the Mississippi thought asian carp where fun to laugh at back when they first got out?
the big red is my home river I am deeply concerned, I have fished the ebro in spain and have seen first hand the damage introduced species can inflict on a system. total devastation of the natural species. the nile perch in africa eradicated many natural species. the list is long and the solutions few.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:06 PM

http://aquality.ca/uploads/news/id10...urvey_2008.pdf

WOW! JUST WOW! Consultants catching an INVASIVE SPECIES and returned them alive to the water???????

SRD was notified...so what happened? What is the response? How many carp are being transported who knows where in the WID canal system?

What on Earth is going on. I am so utterly puzzled?

So to highlight the facts.

FROM 2008 TO 2012 SRD HAS KNOWN OF THE INVASIVE CARP. WHAT HAS BEEN DONE??????

I gotta stop thinking about this. I am seriously getting steamed.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Banned

Cool

richest 1% ON EARTH ha ha ha oops I sharted. something smells funny in our province, and its not my shorts.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:

I hear you there , Makes you wonder if these guys even care . Definitely not with there actions . Its a shame , Not only the walleye , goldeye , Sauger , but the Sturgeon .

What is it 10 - 12 % of the eggs of millions become mature fish . Now having these carp in there make it 3-4 % especially if it gets out of hand . These *****s who continue to be backyard biologists should be thrown in jail for life . They are disturbing our future fish populations and if there wasnt enough issue already .

This is very alarming to me , as a fisherman and conservationist .
Old 03-02-2012, 09:48 PM

yes, it was a sarcasm.....

sorry if I heart your fillings

Quote:
I hope you are being sarcastic. There is nothing good in this. You can not support nor endorse nor justify this introduction in Alberta. This is a horrible, horrible event.

If sincere in your attitude about being happy you are part of the problem with this crap happening in Alberta IMHO...but I trust you are just pulling legs.

Don't belittle this.

Sun
Old 03-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Banned

Cool

I can think of 5 major river systems in alberta, we have a reasonable threat on the milk,asian carp. now we are in a serious possibility of losing. two more the SSR- RD.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
http://aquality.ca/uploads/news/id10...urvey_2009.pdf

Interesting. There was a study done that found a concentration of carp. Did something fall through the cracks? The correct person not get notified? What is the fast response policy for illegal introductions in Alberta?

I saw an interesting show in Hawaii about non native introductions. They have a fast response system that has proven to have a good chance of halting an introduction of non native species if identified early.

2009 to 2012...I am speechless.

Maybe this quote from the Survey will get others to speak up while you recover.

Quote:
Regardless of their species, Carassius are a hardy exotic. Reported impacts not as severe as other
related introduced species (Kolar et al., 2007), but they may cause detrimental effects when introduced
through competition for food supplies with native species (Froese and Pauly, 2009). Though not
reported as established in the province (Nelson and Paetz, 1992), the age class distribution of fish
collected at Site 12 in 2008, with both large individuals and abundant juveniles, as well as their
continued presence at this and other sites indicate a successfully reproducing population. Future
monitoring of the canal system where this species has been encountered should continue, with a focus
on determining whether or not either population sizes or ranges are expanding.
This species may pose a
threat to the sport fishery of the Bow River system.

Alberta Sustainable Resource Development has
been informed of their presence within the canal system.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:40 PM

Ran across this article just today "Asian carp seized at Windsor-Detroit border" : http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/02...etroit-border/

Apparently people transporting large quantities of live carp across the border.. Idiots...
Old 03-02-2012, 11:57 PM

Cooler heads need to prevail. We need to know a few things. When were the carp first seen in this area. What mitigation measures have been taken since that time. What F&W's plan is for go forward mitigation and how can we sportsmen assist.

Can we start an eradication protocol? What is the risk assessment for the carp? What is the specific genus species of this particular carp? Are there more than one species? Can we find the source pond?

Is something being done with the appropriate speed or can we help with lobbying for government funding to assist?

This is scary and frustrating insofar as this was not a publicly known carp release. How many other illegal introductions are there in Alberta currently? Knowing this can help improve vigilance amongst outdoorsmen as well as help spread the word as to how serious a thread this is to sport fishing in Alberta!
Old 03-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Banned

Perhaps we should take the government to court?
Old 03-03-2012, 12:27 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Cooler heads need to prevail. We need to know a few things. When were the carp first seen in this area. What mitigation measures have been taken since that time. What F&W's plan is for go forward mitigation and how can we sportsmen assist.

Can we start an eradication protocol? What is the risk assessment for the carp? What is the specific genus species of this particular carp? Are there more than one species? Can we find the source pond?

Is something being done with the appropriate speed or can we help with lobbying for government funding to assist?

This is scary and frustrating insofar as this was not a publicly known carp release. How many other illegal introductions are there in Alberta currently? Knowing this can help improve vigilance amongst outdoorsmen as well as help spread the word as to how serious a thread this is to sport fishing in Alberta!
inorder for concerned, responsible anglers to make a measurable impact on the carp population. I feel our regs in alberta may need to respond/adapt to allow proper carp methods. it is customary to pre feed your spot in advance using large quantities of ground bait laced with hemp seeds and your chosen hook bait. our regs make this illegal . with a concerted effort anglers could make a impact on a population in affected stretch of the river/pond if allowed to use the methods above. otherwise the catchable size carp will be too dispersed to garner much of a result. we are behind the eight ball something needs to be done pronto.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:37 AM

fish, catch, identify, photograph, kill
Old 03-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
fish, catch, identify, photograph, kill
your principles are sound,but given our regs not going to be nearly effective. carp are some of the most prolific spawners in fresh water. it has become as the US marine's say adapt,overcome,or perish.
I see no effort to overcome.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:33 AM

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Sundance.

I appreciate the info you have provided and would like to know more about this.

If you come across anything else, please post.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw