Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-13-2013, 12:15 AM

Default Best trout bait under ice

Just looking for a few new ideas for jigging stocked rainbows. Had some biting on mealworms and powerbait gulp worms yesterday. Any ideas for when all the shops are out of bait. I've heard of people using shrimp and corn......what else works?

Thanks in advance,

Al
Old 12-13-2013, 12:15 AM

Velveeta.

Today, didn't need bait, just a jig head and a teeny

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-13-2013, 12:30 AM
Banned

Generally I use a piece of worm but if there's no bait around, like you said, I always have a small jar of that power bait on hand that you take a dab of and roll it into a small ball for the hook. Pieces of shrimp work good but I always end up eating them.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:09 AM

Snitch a handful of frozen corn from the freezer. Even better is the Green Giant canned "White Shoepeg Corn", which is also super effective for kokanees in BC. If the fish don't like it you can at least heat the leftovers for supper...
Old 12-13-2013, 05:14 AM

Maggots
Old 12-13-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finner-duramax View Post
Maggots
+1
Old 12-13-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPman View Post
Snitch a handful of frozen corn from the freezer. Even better is the Green Giant canned "White Shoepeg Corn", which is also super effective for kokanees in BC. If the fish don't like it you can at least heat the leftovers for supper...
Great stuff when you can find it. I agree It is also great on Kokanee's We caught 6 in a day on the Okanagan last fall. Want to try it on perch this year.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 12-13-2013, 07:12 AM

berkly gulp alive leach 3" pumpkin seed .last winter I tried them for the first time.i could see down the hole.they really hammered it all day going out tomorrow
ill send a post
Old 12-13-2013, 08:05 AM

I've always had great success with the canned shrimp that you would use on your pizza or in a shrimp dip. Just a little peice of that on the hook and wammo.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:06 AM

Another vote for maggots.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:33 AM

I usually use worms cut into ~1" chunks, however if that doesn't work or worms aren't available my next go-to is the good ol' shrimp ring. I just grab whatever frozen shrimp ring is cheapest (and maybe a jar of seafood sauce ) and rip the shrimp into chunks that fit on the hook.

Failing that I've always got a jar or two of Powerbait dough stuff...just in case

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-13-2013, 08:46 AM

Find a way of frying up the shrimp on your heater, after last year I'm in belief they like their meals catered all fried up.
Seriously though. nothing added.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:21 AM

the pink powerbait is pretty good sometimes
Old 12-13-2013, 09:22 AM

This is what I find works best:
Shrimp or Canned Corn if your fishing for stocked trout.
Salmon Eggs, Maggots or Worms for wild trout.
Cheese works as well just have to figure out what they are biting on that day.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:26 AM

Worms or maggots for me. I never use synthetics

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma
Old 12-13-2013, 10:01 AM

Velvetta times 2
Old 12-13-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
I usually use worms cut into ~1" chunks, however if that doesn't work or worms aren't available my next go-to is the good ol' shrimp ring. I just grab whatever frozen shrimp ring is cheapest (and maybe a jar of seafood sauce ) and rip the shrimp into chunks that fit on the hook.

Failing that I've always got a jar or two of Powerbait dough stuff...just in case
I had not been able to catch myself a trout until I tried the shrimp ring last year, they hammered chunks of shrimp.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vital shok View Post
Velvetta times 2
Do you have to buy the velvetta in the brick that looks like butter or can you just buy slices and roll them into little balls, never used velvetta before. I ask cause its expensive here for a brick of velvetta, its like $15 lol only $5 for the slices.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baptiste_moose View Post
Worms or maggots for me. I never use synthetics
X2 they might work for others but I seem to have no luck with fake bait. No matter what they tell you trying to sell it I still think fish prefer the real deal
Old 12-13-2013, 10:11 AM

Small white marshmallow or powerbait
Old 12-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Banned

Cool

Things you will need: sz 14 -16 treble ,supply of pen springs . Tube jigs in orange , length of elastic band .
Cut pen spring into 1/4" length . Slide spring on shank of treble. Slide treble on jig hook. cut tiny piece of elastic . Use elastic to hold treble on jig hook .
No set up another sprung treble . Palomar that treble 6-12" above jig .
Now you have super power bait rig for trout. This also works great for cheese ,marshmallows or any other soft bait.
Common stillwater flies will also work as another top hook if no bait is handy.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Things you will need: sz 14 -16 treble ,supply of pen springs . Tube jigs in orange , length of elastic band .
Cut pen spring into 1/4" length . Slide spring on shank of treble. Slide treble on jig hook. cut tiny piece of elastic . Use elastic to hold treble on jig hook .
No set up another sprung treble . Palomar that treble 6-12" above jig .
Now you have super power bait rig for trout. This also works great for cheese ,marshmallows or any other soft bait.
Common stillwater flies will also work as another top hook if no bait is handy.
complex.

slide a bobber on your line, slide a bead onto the line under the bobber. Tie a hook onto line, and attach a split shot 6-8" above it. Tie bobber stop onto line, bait hook with shrimp set depth and wait. Fish whole water column until you find where the action is.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 12-13-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaYoungGun_93 View Post
Do you have to buy the velvetta in the brick that looks like butter or can you just buy slices and roll them into little balls, never used velvetta before. I ask cause its expensive here for a brick of velvetta, its like $15 lol only $5 for the slices.
you can find some small bricks.

still expensive but it works better than the slices for staying on.
just keep it dry & cold.

orv.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Banned

Lures.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:38 PM

Velvetta - buy the brick, cube it into small pieces about 1 cm or smaller, roll in flour and put them in the fridge in a ziplock. Flour keeps the cubes from sticking together.

Put cheese on hook.

Catch the fish.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:30 AM

All of the above but do not over look 1/2 a meal worm,night crawlers soaked in garlic as well as a home made mixture of melted velvetta cheese,cornmeal,garlic.Boil it to dough stage and either put little gobs on hooks or if you want it to really last,wrap it in cheese cloth. There also is a company in Richmond Bc ,Robs Baits,that makes shrimp nuggets in Red green pink colors,these work as well.
It is amazing to watch how sensitive a trout's sense of smell is,a few feed pellets on the bottom (private lake) can be detected easily by a trout that swims over.They get really excited spin around and cruize back and forth till they zone in where it's at.When baiting hooks a good practice is to wash your hands before baiting.....it does make a differance. Gasoline is a huge turn off no matter how slight the contamination as are a bunch of other odours.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb567 View Post
the pink powerbait is pretty good sometimes
Shrimp ring.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:28 PM

I know it's not bait but circle hooks are your friend... simple recipe.. bait of choice,single split shot,circle hook,very small slip bobber,a couple feet of slack and you are good to go.Remember to let the fish hook himself and not to set it at the tiniest bite.The 2 feet of slack allows the fish to take the bait and move off,allowing the circle hook to work the way it was designed with a hook up in the corner of the mouth.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
All of the above but do not over look 1/2 a meal worm,night crawlers soaked in garlic as well as a home made mixture of melted velvetta cheese,cornmeal,garlic.Boil it to dough stage and either put little gobs on hooks or if you want it to really last,wrap it in cheese cloth. There also is a company in Richmond Bc ,Robs Baits,that makes shrimp nuggets in Red green pink colors,these work as well.
It is amazing to watch how sensitive a trout's sense of smell is,a few feed pellets on the bottom (private lake) can be detected easily by a trout that swims over.They get really excited spin around and cruize back and forth till they zone in where it's at.When baiting hooks a good practice is to wash your hands before baiting.....it does make a differance. Gasoline is a huge turn off no matter how slight the contamination as are a bunch of other odours.
Ive always wondered if the smell of cigarettes on your hands might turn them off if you smoke.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
Ive always wondered if the smell of cigarettes on your hands might turn them off if you smoke.
Yes it does, but the worst by far is bug dope.You should see what they do when they detect that!!!