Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-29-2017, 09:36 AM

Default Dumping Garbage in BOW - rant

Hi All;

I was out drifting about a month ago, and saw a young man empty and throw two garbage bags of 2L and 1L empty plastic capped pepsi bottles off the middle of Fish Creek bridge.

Floated the rest of the drift surrounded by floating recycling. Picked up as many as I could (20ish bottles) but they were drifting everywhere (probably over 50 bottles).

Floated the next day, and saw same bottles still in back eddies and up against rocks - I'm sure some of you guys saw the pepsi bottles south of Fish Creek...

Why wouldn't someone put the recycling in one of the many bins around the park, or donate, or or or. Two people rode their bikes past the guy dumping the garbage off the bridge - and didn't say anything. I yelled from the boat, as he jumped on his bike, grab his fly rod (?), and peddled away.

Am I missing something? What the....

If i knew how to post pictures I would share one of bottles all around...
Old 05-29-2017, 09:44 AM

Geez...that's too bad, but also just seems weird? Seems like this person went out of his way to do this, and that it would have been EASIER to throw them into a garbage can or take them into the bottle depot?? Something is fishy!
Old 05-29-2017, 09:51 AM

Default Dumping Garbage in BOW - rant

Did the bottles have messages in them?
Old 05-29-2017, 10:01 AM

Boy, that really is strange. Off his rocker maybe?

Good for you for picking up as many as you could and for saying something. You have my thanks and respect.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:23 AM

No messages in the bottles I checked.

Had a few screws loose for sure, he crashed his bike when peddling away. Hopefully he snapped off his rod tip for charma...
Old 05-29-2017, 11:26 AM
Banned

Fisherman harming the environment, imagine that.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
Fisherman harming the environment, imagine that.
Don't you have an ATV salesman's tailpipe to suck on, troll?
Old 05-30-2017, 08:21 AM

Old 05-30-2017, 09:59 AM
Banned

Yes the hypocrisy is thick here
Old 05-31-2017, 09:27 AM

I was on a bike ride with my kids in bowness park last week. I saw a guy walk over to the river and throw his popped floaty toy in. I sped over, hopped off my bike, ran down the bank and 'rescued the littered item' for him. He came over right away and i handed him his deflated cute seahorse childs toy. He said 'thanks' like he wasnt going to just leave it there. Like it just got away from him.
As i was hopping back on my bike my kids pull up. My 6 year old askes me what i was doing. I said 'this man was littering'. She looked at him and he looked away quickly. The guy walked back to his group with his garbage in hand, probably feeling like a real loser.
Shamed by a 6 year old in front of his friends. Ha.
This guy was probably 30 years old. He was with three others. One male and two females who also had the look of shame on their faces.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:12 AM

Nice job! A little public shaming is a good thing. I'm sure the lesson will stick for your kids. I really hope though the lesson sticks for the litterbag who tried this.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:16 PM

COINCIDENTALLY...WOW....I stopped by Mallard Point after work tonight to unwind for 20min and seen what I thought might be a party floater in distress clinging to life and starting down the back channel from the main river.
As it got closer I realised it was 4 black garbage bags tied together....full of recyclables....and another 100 or so loose cans and bottles floating by also(the 5th bag busted open maybe?)
It(the 4 bags) fetched up in the corner before the flat stretch o
f water and I fished it out and threw it in my truck....WTH,$25 bucks worth of recycles gonna trade them in for full cans tommorow,lol.
Begs the question how it got in there,I was thinking some shopping cart dude mighta fell in river somehow until now reading the OP....what da hell......who does this...??