Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-08-2009, 02:35 PM

I have never been to Badger so I can't speak for or against it. Is this going to be a 1, 2 or 3 day event? What are the rules going to be with regards to lake access? Most kayak anglers drive to the best put in point for the day depending on wind and waves. I suggested Macgregor because of the multiple access points. The west shore north of the bridge is almost always protected and offers consistent fishing for walleye and pike. It is a reasonably large chunk of water with space for many kayaks.

I love the idea of heading to the Lac La Biche area but the 6 hour drive from Calgary may put some guys off. I usually head up that way once per summer for 5 to 7 days. The lakes in Lakeland Provincial Park and area are perfect for Kayak fishing.

Having been involved in hosting walleye tournaments in southern Alberta back in the 90's you never know what sort of weather to expect. I always kept a full set of winter gear in the truck just in case. I remember a tourney at Crawling Valley in June when we had to cancel on Day 2 due to the wind which prevented launching and blew all our tents down. On the other hand the weather could be hot and calm. You just never know. The difference with kayak fishing is the safety of the competitors related to size of the boats and waves and the physical limits of paddling into a head wind.

I'm not trying to be negative here. I just think the guys at Yakfish should know what they might be dealing with before coming all this way to host a tournament.

Tim

Tags
fishing tournaments, kayak fishing