Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-06-2011, 01:22 PM

Sorry, i hate arguing on a fishing forum but being a fish biologist this strikes a nerve...People who call a "walleye" by whatever other common name they refer to them as are responsible for knowing that the common name chosen by the province in the regulations is the same fish.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
Sorry, i hate arguing on a fishing forum but being a fish biologist this strikes a nerve...People who call a "walleye" by whatever other common name they refer to them as are responsible for knowing that the common name chosen by the province in the regulations is the same fish.
Do you know of any place that calls walleye by pickeral in their regulations?
Old 05-06-2011, 03:31 PM

Default Walleye is different than a pickeral

A true pickel looks like a northern pike
Old 05-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbruinfan View Post
FYI. If you sell bulk pickels at a farmers market in Pittsburgh and a food inspection warden takes your pickel, throws it to the ground, and it doesn't bounce? It cannot be advertised as a pickel,, or as we say up in these parts, Pickle.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Do you know of any place that calls walleye by pickeral in their regulations?
no, walleye is the mostly widely used common name...that is irrelevant though as again it is a "common name", meaning a name commonly used to refer to that particular species of fish, I feel like I am taking crazy pills here...
Old 05-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
FYI. If you sell bulk pickels at a farmers market in Pittsburgh and a food inspection warden takes your pickel, throws it to the ground, and it doesn't bounce? It cannot be advertised as a pickel,, or as we say up in these parts, Pickle.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyelk View Post
Jack Fish

Pike

NICE I lol'd.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
no, walleye is the mostly widely used common name...that is irrelevant though as again it is a "common name", meaning a name commonly used to refer to that particular species of fish, I feel like I am taking crazy pills here...
I'm starting to un-der-stand. So let's see if I got this right; our neighbor is a dip-stick and a few other neighbors have called him this too, but if you go a couple of blocks over, he's called a tool but if you ask the mailman, he said the gus name is Mike. Now I don't converse with Mike/dipstick/tool nor do many others, except the by-laws gal who must make a whopping good commission from Mikes incessant complaints about his neighbors. So is he a Mike, dipstick or tool?,,, I'm sure there are other common names? Is there a latin/greek term?

Who prescribes your crazy pills? They're always out when I go to get them.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I'm starting to un-der-stand. So let's see if I got this right; our neighbor is a dip-stick and a few other neighbors have called him this too, but if you go a couple of blocks over, he's called a tool but if you ask the mailman, he said the gus name is Mike. Now I don't converse with Mike/dipstick/tool nor do many others, except the by-laws gal who must make a whopping good commission from Mikes incessant complaints about his neighbors. So is he a Mike, dipstick or tool?,,, I'm sure there are other common names? Is there a latin/greek term?

that was a classic! i know exactly what tyee( and agree with him), is talkin about, but that..... was too funny! lol
Old 05-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:

this is how you **** people off. lol. ty is only merely stating a technicality that walleye is less wrong of a name as pickerell. Just like Dipstick, tool is no less wrong than any other names but is true name is mike. hes just pointing out a technicality and anyone on here is willing to bite and argue with ty just doesnt understand what he is trying to say...... this all makes for entertainment for me........
Old 05-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
this is how you **** people off. lol. ty is only merely stating a technicality that walleye is less wrong of a name as pickerell. Just like Dipstick, tool is no less wrong than any other names but is true name is mike. hes just pointing out a technicality and anyone on here is willing to bite and argue with ty just doesnt understand what he is trying to say...... this all makes for entertainment for me........
I completely understand what Ty/Tyree/TyreeUM/Tyrel/Muffin is saying,,, I just find it funny that some threads hold the frontlines of the forums with the most trivial of topics and others of real importance just drift into the back pages. This is one of the most entertaining.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:23 PM

a chevy? what do you mean? is it a sub species of the chevrolet?
Old 05-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
With that comment I watched the whole thing now im on suiside watch thanks horsetrader.
Sorry John but I just had to but don't feel bad FISHFINDER is still watching it......lol
Old 05-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
a chevy? what do you mean? is it a sub species of the chevrolet?
Hey!! Chevy's have running boards and boxes that couldn't hold two flakes of a bale of hay. Real Trucks are called Chev's. Actually real trucks are called Internationals.

C'mmon Pat, seriously, duuuude.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Sorry John but I just had to but don't feel bad FISHFINDER is still watching it......lol

seeing as the calming effect of the original video has worn off.....i have a new version its of me singing the song and doing a slow strip tease.......and yup im wearing a thong....stop fighting or the Bug Eye video gets posted
Old 05-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
seeing as the calming effect of the original video has worn off.....i have a new version its of me singing the song and doing a slow strip tease.......and yup im wearing a thong....stop fighting or the Bug Eye video gets posted
Stop Fighting? But I just invited both Noam Chomsky and Lloyd Axeworthy to the terminology debate.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:02 PM

haha this thread is as worthless as I had a feeling it would be...bottom line - if you think everyone should use the common name "walleye" great, I will, from now on, refer to them as "golden sea biscuits"
Old 05-06-2011, 05:05 PM

if your from the east you be be thinking of chain pickeral....looks like a small pike with larger spots
Old 05-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
haha this thread is as worthless as I had a feeling it would be...bottom line - if you think everyone should use the common name "walleye" great, I will, from now on, refer to them as "golden sea biscuits"
Didn't Golden Sea Biscuit have a heart as heavy as a Pork (or Pig as they say in other parts) and won the Preakness four years in a row? Classic.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Hey, I just can't get enough, like watching a thread go south
Old 05-06-2011, 05:22 PM

Default pickeral

i was born in manitoba i fished on lake winnipegosis winter and summer on a commercial basis. We called them pickerel, they were also referred to as yellows. Sorry to tell you boys but the walleye is exactly the same fish. The only differnce is the color. Lake Winnipegosis is hard water, so the fish are white bellies and real green speckles. From other lakes with soft water from Sask. and Alberta and northern Man. they are a darker color but they are the same fish. The small white fish pictured in one of the threads, they have pickerel under it they are not pickerel they are what you call goldeye. Like a northern pike they are referred to by commercial fisherman as jackfish.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:37 PM

Yep, when Horsetrader goes to his drug dealer he always asks for pepsi.

When the dealer asked why he replied " Coke, Pepsi, whats the difference?"
Old 05-06-2011, 06:22 PM

Default give a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbruinfan View Post
not so not so.///\\\
Old 05-06-2011, 06:25 PM

Ok ive got the solution lets bucket bregade a bunch of pickerel across canada then everyone will have to use the proper names....... lol. I know some lakes in nova scotia we can get em from.......

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickerel
Old 05-06-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
LOL! There is the problem. If different people are calling the same fish by different names then there may be people who do not know what you are talking about.

The problem is not so bad when the name being used are different names for the same fish and there are no other creatures that those names may apply to. Eg. walleye, eyes, yellows, wallies.

But if you use Pickerel (there is another creature called pickerel) for Walleye then there could be some real confusion.

I could ask" hey Keg, could you go to the freezer and get out some pickerel fillets for supper, they are right beside the jack fillets."

Then after you have gone I say to myself, "I hope he doesn't get confused and bring out those awful "chain pickerel" fillets that uncle John brought from Ontario last year!"

Believe it or not some people get confused and call Alberta's antelope "goats".
That's as bad as calling Pronghorns "Antelope".

Hey Duffy, You have made this comment every week for years. Did you ever think to check out the latin name for Pronghorns?

Old 05-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wow no thanks I seen the copy you sent Baitfisher..............
Old 05-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
Yep, when Horsetrader goes to his drug dealer he always asks for pepsi.

When the dealer asked why he replied " Coke, Pepsi, whats the difference?"
Need some help here don't know if I'm suppose to laugh or if I'm suppose to be upset.......hmmmmmm.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Wow no thanks I seen the copy you sent Baitfisher..............
43 second mark is hot eh?????
Old 05-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
43 second mark is hot eh?????
Old 05-06-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
So calling Alces alces a moose is just a commonly used name that may not be correct? And a whitetail is not really a O. virginianus virginianus. Or is it?
Or a rose by any other name would still smell the same. LOL Have a great weekend!