Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-31-2011, 04:51 PM

Default St. Paul Area Fishing

I am going to be spending some time in St. Paul in august visiting my grandparents. They are on Vincent Lake. I was just curious what the fishing is like at vincent, as well as in the general area. Not really scared to explore a bit, going to have 2 weeks to look around. Does anyone have any general recommendations of lakes to fish? Not looking for your hotspot, just genereal info. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:41 PM

Default lakes

I spent alot of time growing up around Ashmont, my grand parents had a service station there so i would spen my summers there . The lakes around there have dropped in the last 10 years "water level wise". You have Man lakes upper and lower,Floating stone,Garner and your not to far from Bonneyville which has some good fishing. If you have a boat you can explore those lakes a little more. The perch and walleye fishing used to be great and you can catch some big pike. My personal best out of upper Man was 18 lbs , but that was also 20 years ago. Hope it helps some
Old 06-01-2011, 05:03 AM

Used to go to chicken hill lake. A little n.e. of vincent lake. used to have good perch, whites and pike. Heard that there used to be eyes in there too but never seen any myself. Might be worth a try as its only about 15 mins from vincent. Head south to lac bellevue about half way to myrnum, stocked with eyes 20 years ago and has been c & r since. Used to catch realy nice pike. Heard from locals that 8 lb eyes are common. Too many lakes out that way to mention them all, you drive 1/2 hour or so and hit a differant lake every time. Not unheard of to hit 3 or 4 lakes in one day out there.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:24 AM

Default Mann Lake(s)

Forget Upper and Lower MAnn. I havent fished there in 15 years and wouldnt think there are any fish there anymore its so low (I drive by often.) Check out a web page called something like Kalyna Country. It has info about the area. Good luck.
kidd
Old 06-01-2011, 11:29 AM

I live at Upper Mann and haven't caught a fish out of here in years. Same with Lower Mann. If you have kids and like perch Manatoken by Iron River is good. Always seem to be biting and it's action for the kids. I haven't fished Vincent much but heard they were biting good for awhile this winter. There was some pictures and an article in the paper this spring about winterkill there also
Old 06-01-2011, 03:41 PM

Just to confirm, owl is right Vincent Lake did winterkill. Also I have been told the perch in Manatoken are small (4"-8") so don't expect anything huge.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:42 PM

Moose lake is about half and hour up highway 28 to bonnyville and you can keep a walleye there. Heading there myself next weekend for my girlfireds birthday (gotta love a girl who wants to go fishing for her birthday!).

Manatokan and Bangs has decent perch, and Garner is great for walleye if you find the right spot, but you need a tag to keep 'em.

If you're not worried about doing a bit of driving, take some time and head north to the Lakeland Provincial Park. Siebert or Beaver for Walleye or Touchwood for scenery, Perch and big Jack.