Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Default Sheep River fishing

Hi there all,

just wondering if anybody can give a fly fisherman from the UK some pointers to fishing the Sheep River please. Places, fly's, gear and so on.

I live in Okotoks and every year get the itch that just needs stratching and that's to get on the river.
I have been fly fishing for a while now, but been put on the back shelf for the last few years. Did go for one day last year, but didn't do enough research, so didn't catch anything. Went with my son (his first real fishing trip) He was spinning and said he hooked into something, but snapped his line, so he keeps asking to go back out.
I have heard a lot about the Bull trout on the Sheep and have seen them when taking a walk along the river, so any info on maybe hooking into one of those would be brilliant.

Many thanks,
gibbo
Old 06-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Banned

If your talking about Sheep Creek north of Grande Cache my tip would be... If you catch anything that is not a huge bull trout, including a bulltrout that is not huge, horse it in quick or it WILL get attacked by a huge bull trout.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:52 PM

Hi there,

it's the Sheep river Alberta, sorry I didn't make this clear.

Thanks for your reply anyway.
gibbo
Old 06-18-2011, 01:28 PM

Smile

There muttin much in there. Ah that joke was baaaad.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:52 PM

Gibbo, if you wanna have some fun with the young lad, drive highway 2 South to Stavely. Turn right, go about 5 km to Pine Coulee reservoir bridge. Parking lots on both sides. Throw in some yellow rubber jigs. Tons of small-medium walleye, and pike too. Walleye are catch and release only, but I've heard of guys catching around 100 in an afternoon. I was there and caught several 2 years ago, plan on going down tomorrow with the kids. My oldest is 6 and she's pretty excited about fishing. I think it's about our best option close to home.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo View Post
Hi there all,

just wondering if anybody can give a fly fisherman from the UK some pointers to fishing the Sheep River please. Places, fly's, gear and so on.

I live in Okotoks and every year get the itch that just needs stratching and that's to get on the river.
I have been fly fishing for a while now, but been put on the back shelf for the last few years. Did go for one day last year, but didn't do enough research, so didn't catch anything. Went with my son (his first real fishing trip) He was spinning and said he hooked into something, but snapped his line, so he keeps asking to go back out.
I have heard a lot about the Bull trout on the Sheep and have seen them when taking a walk along the river, so any info on maybe hooking into one of those would be brilliant.

Many thanks,
gibbo
The Sheep is one of my favorite rivers around and there's quite a difference between the lower sheep around Okotoks and the upper Sheep in the Kananaskis area. If you are targeting bulls, there's more upstream and look for the deep holes. Chuck anything large in there, big nymphs or the best would be bunny streamers on a sinking tip. I've had bulls attack a 14" rainbow that I've hooked so nothing is too big.

The rainbows and whites in there are more picky so you have to match the time of year. Right now though with the blown out river, you would have to chuck big streamers at the bulls in the slack water for the best chance.

I know a few places on the Sheep but it's hard to describe so if you ever want to get out when the river has calmed down just PM me.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:51 PM

thanks guys, good info.

Would there anyone be interested in meeting in Okotoks for a couple of pints and chat about fishing on the Sheep and maybe sort a days fishing out?

What is the best fly for the fishing the Sheep, what's had best results, the one you always have in your fly box.

Cheers
Old 06-19-2011, 04:53 PM

cheers digger1, will have to get out that way.

How would you fish that then? Some weight and sink the bait or use it like a lure?
Old 06-20-2011, 12:31 AM

Well Gibbo, as soon as the bow clears up it's stone fly season, so I assume it would be the same on the sheep. Just put on a good stone fly imitator and put it behind some rocks, bends, eddies, you know the drill! I may be mistaken though, I'm pretty new at this fly fishing thing.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo View Post
cheers digger1, will have to get out that way.

How would you fish that then? Some weight and sink the bait or use it like a lure?
I hear Mr.Twister jigs are really good for walleye on Pine Coulee.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:15 PM

so when is the sheep open for fishing, is it now????
Who fancies a pint and chat and hopefully arrange a day out fishing the sheep?
Old 06-24-2011, 07:09 AM

I fish where the Highwood and Sheep join, just east of Okotoks and have a heck of a time. Stoneflies and nymphs work wonders. I have even had much luck with a San Juan worm there.Great fishing there, but DO NOT enter the campground nearby. Natures hideaway campground staff treat people like they are prisoners. Worst campground in western Canada.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:56 AM

Gibbo, ANOTHER English import? Man, I swear 20% of Okotoks are recent British immigrants. LOL Anyways welcome. I live about a block from the Sheep on the south side and simply walk down with rod in hand to fish it for a couple hours in the evening or Sunday morning, etc.

Problem is it's hard to tell you honeyholes and good places when the river has been completely blown out and whole channels moved. This happens every few years and you have to re-learn the river all over again. That's part of the fun though. Across from the library used to be good, Also the stretch between before the railway bridge east of town. Found a few good places west/upstream of town, but I've never actually fished the Sheep much beyond a couple miles of town either way.

Great your son is interested. I have 22 and 20 year olds who have no interest. oh well.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:03 PM

hey gibbo im going to fish the sheep today i found a nice clear place with some big bullies and rains in it saw them rising they were like 15"-20" but all i saw was there back, but as my name sugest i think the sheep is one of the best rivers in south alberta
Old 06-24-2011, 04:06 PM

i think its nice your son is invovled in fishing im only 13 and have been fishing ever since i could hold a rod, id like to meet up because its hard to type my secrets online why dont you message me when its a good time for you