Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-26-2008, 01:36 PM

Default What is the strangest thing you have caught?

Was out fishing the other day with a bud who is just getting into the sport. Suddenly he shouts from down stream, "I got one! FISH ON!" With a tone in his voice that he has been wanting to shout those words for a while. He dragged this beast in from a good way out. I am watching him bring it in and all I can do is smile This is his first catch.

What have you pulled out?
Old 05-26-2008, 01:40 PM

I caught two rainbows at once on a pickerel rig once. That was the strangest thing.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:57 PM

i caught a BBQ grill last weekend in the nsr! Boy what a fight that was!
Old 01-29-2011, 01:56 PM

I caught a spotted rat tail fish they look kinda creepy in the boat but look cute when you google rat tail fish and the picture of this fish is on the bottom and with their big eyes they look like they are smiling. I have a picture of one but I don't know how to post it on this site.Sorry.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:05 PM

I once caught a 3 lb rainbow on the top hook of a pickeral rig and a squaw fish on the bottom hook. Boy did I think I had a big fish on the fight......it was pulling in two different directions at once!!
Old 05-26-2008, 02:28 PM

Default turtle

fishing for perch in SE saskatchewan ( Estevan area) in 2000, and had a turtle take a good run with my ultralite!
Old 05-26-2008, 02:54 PM

Fishing at Coal last weekend caught a package of rotten , half eatten bag of smelts I had to cut my line and toss the whole thing in the Garbage the thing reaked.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:09 PM

caught a fish duck that dove for my cutplug herring in campbell river. that was strange, even saw it dive for the bait
Old 05-26-2008, 03:22 PM

Out at camp couple of years ago had a seagull go after my floating Rapala. Took a lot of screaming and yanking to get it to take off before it finally did.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:31 PM

Caught a beaver in 87 on the Bow.Never dreamed that I would've landed it but I did! Took 3 of us to corral it and unhook it,talk about 40 pounds of ticked off rodent.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:08 PM

I was ice fishing on Hasse January, caught a ice fishing rod.as i pulled it out of the hole, and showing off to my friends, the line on the new found rod started tugging,,,pulled up the line and a nice 2lb rainbow was on!
Old 05-27-2008, 01:03 PM

In New Zealand I caught a fish (not sure what it was) witch was bright orange about 6 inches long and 4 wide with lots of spines on its fins. I unhooked it and said “it is you lucky day” and through it back in the ocean as I watched it swim down a big blue figure came up from below and swallowed it hole.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:43 PM

We were trolling the south shores of Rainbow Lake one nice summer afternoon,about a dozen yrs ago or so,when I caught a snag.It was a fairly large tree branch,with some line tangled in it.Well we go to untangle the line to take back to the garbage when my buddy pulls up a cheap but still working rod and reel.As he is messing with it the other end of the tangled line starts tugging on us.WTF,we shout.He has the branch and rod in hand so I hand over hand the line in to find a large northern still attached to the Yeller Five of diamonds.Well as I am flinging her,yes flinging her as we had no net,over the side of the boat the hook breaks as the treble was well rotted.We wieghed it at 12#'s although I always suspected that rusty old scale of wieghing a few #'s heavy.I am happy to finish by saying the fish was released (hopefully) no worse for wear,the line was untangled and thrown out and the rod was still in use when I left town the next year.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:38 PM

While fishing back in 2002 in Yucaba along the Amazon basin its not what I caught but what caught me.
About 3 days after getting home I had developed what I thought was a zit on my shoulder but no matter how hard I tried to get rid of the thing it just got more sore and swollen.I finally noticed that it was leaking alot of fluid that did not appear to be normal.
Off to the doctor I went...

It was not a zit atall but something called a ''Botfly larvae''.
Literally a maggot that was living off me.
The doctor removed the critter with no issues but it certainly was disgusting.
The things are pretty easy to catch down there I was told and you dont even feel the thing until its already made a happy little home on you.

And just to add to what they are here is a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23eimVLAQ2c

Now go have some dinner!
Old 05-27-2008, 04:32 PM

Thats friggen nasty dude.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:55 PM

Default !!!

one trip i caught something heavy... thought it was a log but as i dragged it in it would head-shake every once in a while...turned out to be a big branch with a pickerel rig snagged to the opposite end of the end i caught with a nice pike still hooked!!!
a little later, my fishing buddy snagged up...after pulling a yanking for a long time (he wanted that hook back!!!) he got loose and pulled up a plaid shirt pocket
we decided to move before we caught the owner of that shirt next!!!!
weird day!!!!!
Old 02-18-2009, 03:38 PM

I have caught bats in the Crowsnest, toads near Caroline, Seagulls in Sundance, Musrats and Beavers in K-Country, toilet paper in the North Saskatchewan and a shopping cart in the North Saskatchewan.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:56 PM

The first time that I used a down-rigger I caught and landed a fishing net...My son hooked a line and when he brought it in, it was attached to a broken fishing rod...In the Bow River chip bags and plastic shopping bags....
Old 02-21-2009, 06:26 AM

Default Condom

Caught a condom in the good old North Saskatchewan. As we reelled it in it slowly filled up but didn't break until right beside shore. Packed up and moved spots.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Whisperer View Post
Caught a condom in the good old North Saskatchewan. As we reelled it in it slowly filled up but didn't break until right beside shore. Packed up and moved spots.
Actually what you caught there was a ''north saskatchewan river minature sperm whale'' they also can be found on most lease roads and campsites within a short drive of your major centers
Old 02-21-2009, 09:30 AM

Went fishing last year for 4 days in BC AND CAME BACK WITH DIVORCE PAPERS, oh well, went out 3 days later for a couple of days hoping she would reconsider.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:49 AM

last year in eagle i cought 2 twenty dollar bills,but i think the most scary things i have caught was a 4 foot aligator on a 6 inch plastic worm on my heavy flippin stick in florida....take the hook out of that!and once when i was blue gill fishing down there i had a four foot cotton mouth snake eat my blue gill....what a fight that thing put up and i did catch a 10 pound large mouth with a 14 inch water snake in it...scared the hell out of me,grabbed the lip of the fish and you could still see the head...still gives me the shivers
Old 07-16-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
Went fishing last year for 4 days in BC AND CAME BACK WITH DIVORCE PAPERS, oh well, went out 3 days later for a couple of days hoping she would reconsider.

next time you go...................can i come???
Old 06-08-2009, 11:00 PM

I just caught a pair of grannie panties tonight in the bow by carsland.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:12 PM

Hey Dj I just noticed this thread and was about to post about my seal that I got off that pier. That thing put up a crazy fight. I was also going to mention about that monster walleye I caught down at provincial park on that red and white that broke my line at shore and then I ended up hooking it again awhile later and got it to shore with the exact same hook on.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Hey Dj I just noticed this thread and was about to post about my seal that I got off that pier. That thing put up a crazy fight. I was also going to mention about that monster walleye I caught down at provincial park on that red and white that broke my line at shore and then I ended up hooking it again awhile later and got it to shore with the exact same hook on.
I still tell that fishing story every chance I get lol
Old 06-09-2009, 03:02 PM

Caught a rolled up deer hide while trolling at little fishing lake, Sask. Thing took 1/2 hr to bring it in!
Old 06-09-2009, 03:19 PM

fishing out in B.C. caught a seagull and a 20pd jellyfish. jellyfish looked like a lung. seagull looked like a seagull
Old 06-09-2009, 04:24 PM

Default Weird catch

I caught a plastic bag in Johnson Straights (off of Prince Rupert.) the contents of the bag is what was weird, a large weight 5lbs and 3 more bags full of a green leafy substance which I turned into the RCMP along with the location of the find.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Banned

i caught my cousins dog. My first time fishing in my life with my cousin. I threw my like back and when i was just about to cast out i get stuck on something so i tugged harder and then i heard a yelp i turn around and the dog had the hook in his mouth. Lol that'll teach him not to eat my worms