Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-18-2012, 05:10 PM

Default Problem Skunk

The past few nights I have seen a skunk across the street in the treed green space. It has been sneaking under my fence into the yard to eat some of our berries(I think). We leave the windows open through the night to cool the house down, and we have been woken up by terrible skunk smell filling the house the past few nights. It has been digging up the yard in a few places, and we would like the skunk to disappear. I plan to block the entrance tonight, and have phoned the city about a trap. The city says we have to put the trap on our property, but its so close to the house where it frequents, I don't want the house to be sprayed if it is caught in the trap. I thought about setting some snares, but there are many cats and dogs in the area that could become a casualty.
I'm looking for ideas on how to get rid of the skunk, or trap it away from the house? Where could someone rent/buy a trap so I could chain it to a tree in the treed area?
Looking for help or ideas from someone knowledgeable in this area?
In north Red Deer.
Thanks
Stu
Old 07-18-2012, 05:30 PM

Talking

There is a place near High River called Margo Supplies that sells traps and they do mail order. You'd think Red Deer would have something, but if they don't, call these guys. Just look them up on Google.
When you get the trap, cover the sides and top with some kind of material or foam or something, so that the skunk will not spray you when you carry it away. Cat food is a good bait. I hope you have a pickup truck to take it away in! What you choose to do with it afterwards is up to you. Set it free. Put in someone's yard you don't like...Drown it.
Anyway, good luck! Too bad they are such smelly little guys cuz they are so cute!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 07-18-2012, 06:18 PM

Depends on the trap they give you.....if it is solid as opposed to bars or a cage, the skunk wont spray. If it is a cage, cover it so you can approach it without being seen, gently pick it up and drop it in the water. Have a tub full of water ready......
Old 07-18-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Depends on the trap they give you.....if it is solid as opposed to bars or a cage, the skunk wont spray. If it is a cage, cover it so you can approach it without being seen, gently pick it up and drop it in the water. Have a tub full of water ready......
Correct!

Or take it out in the country, point the door away from you, pull the door off and run upwind, turn around and shoot it. Hard walled traps are the best. Easier than dragging out a drowned stinky kitty.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-20-2012, 04:25 PM

Set a snare and youll wish you hadnt.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
The past few nights I have seen a skunk across the street in the treed green space. It has been sneaking under my fence into the yard to eat some of our berries(I think). We leave the windows open through the night to cool the house down, and we have been woken up by terrible skunk smell filling the house the past few nights. It has been digging up the yard in a few places, and we would like the skunk to disappear. I plan to block the entrance tonight, and have phoned the city about a trap. The city says we have to put the trap on our property, but its so close to the house where it frequents, I don't want the house to be sprayed if it is caught in the trap. I thought about setting some snares, but there are many cats and dogs in the area that could become a casualty.
I'm looking for ideas on how to get rid of the skunk, or trap it away from the house? Where could someone rent/buy a trap so I could chain it to a tree in the treed area?
Looking for help or ideas from someone knowledgeable in this area?
In north Red Deer.
Thanks
Stu
Don't live in Oriole Park, do you ? My son had one rummaging around his yard about a week or so ago. I suggested a live trap, if he came back.

Grizz
Old 07-21-2012, 06:53 PM

Stu you should just call city I belive that bylaw has live traps you might be able to get and a pice of banana has worked well for me in the past

good luck with little stinky
Old 07-22-2012, 06:41 AM

Im on the waiting list for a trap, apparently there is a problem in the city.
The other night I saw multiple skunks cruizin around.
Thanks for everyones input!
Old 08-04-2012, 09:59 PM

This your culprit ? Night before last. Definitely not worried about humans.

Grizz