Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-06-2008, 11:05 AM

Default 08 muley buck and doe

My wife and I had a great season this year hunting these elusive critters.Had chances at some great bucks but they don't get big for being dumb.We both had doe draws for the area also and were able to fill the tags on some nice meat.Mrs.Mat made a great stock to 44yrds on a nice doe,took aim and delivered an arrow to the deers quartering away body.The arrow passed through sending the deer running along the creek with the other deer.Within 100 yrds she expired falling to the ground within site. She was so excited when I got back to her.Mrs.Mat's face was red and she said "I think I must have gotten into something, I'm allergic to it".I said no that's adrenalin,with a chuckle. It was hard to keep her on the blood trail to track it for practice as she already knew exactly where it was and was not going to waste any time tracking the blood!She come very close to filling her buck tag on three nice bucks but it just didn't pan out.

This buck was a tough guy to get on.I was all open except for a patch of aspen that the deer had decided to make his bed in.I'd angled up the patch keeping my eyes peeled and spotted a big bodied deer standing 70 yrds away but couldn't see the head.The way the poplar trees were in line from me to the deer it created a blind spot, for the animal couldn't see me.I stood for nearly 20 min. stalk still waiting to see what he would do,as I believe the deer heard or caught a glimpse of me, wasn't sure and was trying to pin point it.After 20 min he bedded, uphill from me. I proceeded to stalk him while the wind blew a little harder across the patch.Finally after 45 more minutes I was to within 9 yrds of this deer still not knowing how big it was, I could only see two tines.Trying to get a better look the deer turned his head and spotted me, then got that busted look and jumped out of bed.My first thought was I did it again and grunted to stop him.At roughly 18 yrds I sent an express package to him at 300 ft sec going completely through.The buck stood there for about 3 sec not even knowing anything was wrong,then trotted half a dozen to ten stepps and fell against the tree he's rested on. That was one heavy deer to dragg by yourself!Good thing I had a buggy to haul him out

Old 12-06-2008, 11:35 AM
2430M

Great pics and story!! Thanks for sharing
Old 12-07-2008, 09:19 PM

That's awesome man. Great job on that buck. 9 yards is an impressive stalk...and goo thinking with giving a grunt right away to stop him.

Big congrats to your wife as well.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:05 AM

Congrats on your deer(s)
Old 12-09-2008, 03:14 PM

Thanks for sharing your story. 9 yds...now that's hunting. Congrats on a fine animal.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:55 AM

Congrats to you and the Mrs. You must have better stalking skills then me to get within 9 yards of him with all of that deadfall and leaves on the ground and still have the sanity to stop him when he busted you.....well done!