Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-10-2017, 01:26 PM

Default Friendly Reminder to be SAFE ON THE ICE this year

So last year I made this video as a reminder to everyone to be safe on the ice. With over 600 000 views I hope it has made some people learn, but yet again this year I will post it again to remind all you guys. USE YOUR BRAINS AND BE SAFE ON THAT ICE AS YOU HAVE A GREAT TIME AND HAVE TIGHT LINES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80DSbZQrzb8

Tight Lines Folks!
Old 11-11-2017, 11:57 PM

Very scary stuff. A lot on the line most timesyou really just never know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2017, 12:08 AM

Went through the ice on jewel lake out of greenwood back in 1990, not fun.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman View Post
Went through the ice on jewel lake out of greenwood back in 1990, not fun.
I've never been through the ice, and I hope to keep it that way. Too scary for my likings.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:47 PM

I'm curious how you curated all that footage. Was that all your personal footage?

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 11-17-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I'm curious how you curated all that footage. Was that all your personal footage?
If you become a creator on youtube, you can find footage that the original creators allow you to use. Tons of stuff on Youtube is copywritten, but many youtube channels allow you to use their footage for free. Some also charge you.

For instance, since all of my compilation videos are made from other people's publicly free material, anyone could use footage from them. But if someone stole my original fishing footage without first asking my permission, I could sue them.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the11fisherman View Post
If you become a creator on youtube, you can find footage that the original creators allow you to use. Tons of stuff on Youtube is copywritten, but many youtube channels allow you to use their footage for free. Some also charge you.

For instance, since all of my compilation videos are made from other people's publicly free material, anyone could use footage from them. But if someone stole my original fishing footage without first asking my permission, I could sue them.
I am a creator of original content on youtube. I don't copy other people's material. I have youtube remove any videos I see posted by someone else with my content.

Compilations can be very popular as it seems with your video. If you did it all legally hats off to you! Good job.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 11-17-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I am a creator of original content on youtube. I don't copy other people's material. I have youtube remove any videos I see posted by someone else with my content.

Compilations can be very popular as it seems with your video. If you did it all legally hats off to you! Good job.

Where it gets super tricky to argue is when people use your material for purposes such as criticism, parody, news reporting, research and scholarship, and teaching. In many of these said instances, they can claim "fair use" and there is nothing legally that you can do to stop them from using your content. This even goes for Holleywood produced media. If you were to do any of these things with it, the producers of said media could do nothing against you. (So if I were to take your footage and cut it up and insert it into my own footage in which I criticise your actions and such, there is nothing that Youtube would do for you......but I'm not a jerk, so that would never happen) You get the idea. The laws are complicated and for that reason, I do not even try to use them for my benefit.

Mind you, the chances that anyone is going to use fishing footage for any of the above-stated ways is HIGHLY unlikely.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the11fisherman View Post
Where it gets super tricky to argue is when people use your material for purposes such as criticism, parody, news reporting, research and scholarship, and teaching. In many of these said instances, they can claim "fair use" and there is nothing legally that you can do to stop them from using your content. This even goes for Holleywood produced media. If you were to do any of these things with it, the producers of said media could do nothing against you. (So if I were to take your footage and cut it up and insert it into my own footage in which I criticise your actions and such, there is nothing that Youtube would do for you......but I'm not a jerk, so that would never happen) You get the idea. The laws are complicated and for that reason, I do not even try to use them for my benefit.

Mind you, the chances that anyone is going to use fishing footage for any of the above-stated ways is HIGHLY unlikely.
Interesting so that's how they do it? The ones I'm talking about are just blatant copies of the whole video and reposting with no change.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Interesting so that's how they do it? The ones I'm talking about are just blatant copies of the whole video and reposting with no change.

Ya, I learned about all this in a legal course I was taking for the fun of it. There are so many nitty gritty parts to the laws that it is hardly worth trying to circumvent. IF you haven't ever heard of "Dumb Starbucks" you should check it out. That guy didn't cover his bases well and as you will see he honestly wasn't wanting it to survive, but it is a hilarious case of a guy trying to use fair use. Had he actually wanted to keep his restaurant going, he easily could have.

But yes, blatant copies are 100% illegal and you can take them to court for it. And even copying a section and not trying to criticize it or make a parody or such is also 100% illegal.