Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-18-2013, 07:42 PM

Default Crazy expensive rods worth it??????

As the title implies, is the really expensive gear actually worth it. The most expensive rod/reel combo I have was $80 and I am wondering if I'll notice any difference by upgrading to g.loomis or St croix or similar gear? Thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 08:03 PM

in fly fishing $800 is considered as a discount price. But really expensive rod owners will not even talk to you, ever.
It is not about quality, end results or performance, it is about place under the sun.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:05 PM

Depends on how you fish, trolling not worth it, casting or jigging definitely worth it. A good rod coupled with low stretch line, will make you wonder how you ever got by.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Banned

If there is money on the line, it may be worth it, otherwise it is relative to your budget and desire.

I routinely out fish people with much much nicer gear than what I use.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:09 PM

I notice the difference between a $40, $100, $300, and a $600 rod
Old 06-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Banned

Here's a good question for the guys with the highend gear.

Does a $400 rod put 10x more fish in the boat than a $40 rod?

I can see in a tournament setting how a couple extra fish may be crucial, but for the average joe fisherdude, is it the difference between an awesome day and getting skunked?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 PM

Honestly u will notice a huge difference from a thunder pole to a more more expensive rod ...but ther are also some good rods for cheaper more manageable prices
Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Banned

Cool

From an esthetic point,yes a hand made cane or green heart rod is a sight to behold . Other rods have a rating h, mh, ul , ect and a speed fast,med , slow . All rods of the same rating and speed perform at a very similar level . Here in NA we get hobby gear at all but the most expensive end of the scale. Check out some UK or euro tackle sites, superior gear at a far more reasonable price.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:23 PM

A beater car and a new sports car will get you to the same place, point A to B. One with function the other with wonderful handling and stye

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations

Last edited by Lornce; 06-18-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post

I can see in a tournament setting how a couple extra fish may be crucial, but for the average joe fisherdude, is it the difference between an awesome day and getting skunked?
I'd bet a 100 dollar rod would put 10X the fish in the boat that a 10 dollar rod would. The higher the price of the cheap rod the less difference you will notice. Years ago we drifted across a big flat with spinner baits hanging in the water with about 10ft of line on. After I caught a whack of fish eating lunch and my partner getting zip, I was curious. So we zipped back and repeated except I didn't toss my bait out, I stood to watch. Again my partner noted no bites, while visually I saw lots, his cheap Ugly Stick coupled with a high stretch mono, did not register PIKE mouthing his baits. He would not believe me until he saw it with his own eyes. I'd like to say he bought a new rod and low stretch line, but I don't remember.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
X2
Old 06-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

YES....it absolutely does.
Stop buying from Dollarama and find out for yourself one day.
You'll thank me
Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 PM

Canadian tire for the most part. Lol.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Banned

I have some reasonably priced rods ($100-150) and some older cheapies,,, if I could find more, old, light action, fibreglass rods, I'd be really happy.

In the meantime, I'll suffer out my days with my Smoke.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Noble View Post
As the title implies, is the really expensive gear actually worth it. The most expensive rod/reel combo I have was $80 and I am wondering if I'll notice any difference by upgrading to g.loomis or St croix or similar gear? Thanks
I think probably not if you compare a decent $80.00 -$120.00 rod to a high end rod.

If you compare a 20$-40$ rod to a high end rod then yes you will see a difference.

I have never spent more than $140.00 on a jigging or rigging rod and I still usually catch more than the guys with the loomis or Croix.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I'd bet a 100 dollar rod would put 10X the fish in the boat that a 10 dollar rod would. The higher the price of the cheap rod the less difference you will notice. Years ago we drifted across a big flat with spinner baits hanging in the water with about 10ft of line on. After I caught a whack of fish eating lunch and my partner getting zip, I was curious. So we zipped back and repeated except I didn't toss my bait out, I stood to watch. Again my partner noted no bites, while visually I saw lots, his cheap Ugly Stick coupled with a high stretch mono, did not register PIKE mouthing his baits. He would not believe me until he saw it with his own eyes. I'd like to say he bought a new rod and low stretch line, but I don't remember.
after using braid for my mainline for many years it felt odd using my brothers set up with 6lb mono.

Could not feel the lure action or anything.

I almost always use mono, but just on the last 2-3feet.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
From an esthetic point,yes a hand made cane or green heart rod is a sight to behold . Other rods have a rating h, mh, ul , ect and a speed fast,med , slow . All rods of the same rating and speed perform at a very similar level . Here in NA we get hobby gear at all but the most expensive end of the scale. Check out some UK or euro tackle sites, superior gear at a far more reasonable price.
Really disagree with you on this one. Every manufacturers rods are going to perform different. Even two rods from the same company with the same specs, but separate models let's say a 100 bucks difference in price, can and will perform very differently.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
X3

You don't get much of a rod for $40-50. Once you get to $100 range, you're getting into pretty good quality and value. The $150-200 rods are another big step up, and probably the sweet spot for value. The next $200 jump up doesn't make as big a difference, but is still significant. The difference between a $40-50 rod and a $150-200 rod is huge, and to my mind, is worth the investment for any avid fisherman.

I won't tell anyone that a $400 rod will catch 10X more fish than a $40 rod day in and day out, but I will guarantee this, once you've experienced fishing with a $400 Loomis GLX, you won't ever want to go back to your old rod lol.

Last edited by Walleyedude; 06-18-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
A beater car and a new sports car will get you to the same place, point A to B. One with function the other with wonderful handling and stye

Yes, but your arms will also be tired from the steering, your head will ache from the exhaust fumes and your back will ache from the seats.
I would rarely say that the same person would catch more fish with higher end gear, but you will certainly enjoy the day a lot more when you are fishing with lures. Bait, not so much diference.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:44 PM

Default expensive V.s. cheaper.

If I could chime in... I have always been a believer in buying quality gear, in a price range that I can justify. Looking after it, so I will have it for a lifetime.
Having said that...sometimes, the gear is too specific for what your fishing requirements need. Case in point, I had two beautiful Sage Mooching rods, B.C. style handle, 10'6". 550.00 a piece. However I noticed the G.Loomis rod 10'6'' 279.00 bent over way nicer for the Chinooks in the 20-30 Lb class,thus allowing the rod to exact more play on the fish. They would also handle any size Chinook you could through at them.
I think the sage would have performed great with a 40-50 Lb,er but I'm still waiting for that day when I might hook into one of that size. Sadly 2 Lucky forum readers got great deals on these rods.( I hope they have served them well)
The other reason for good gear is when that day does come...you do not want to lose potentially the fish of a lifetime because you have entry level gear. Reels I own are all expensive I guess 600.00 plus but all I have to do is go to the JustReels website and look at some of the used ones selling for 4000.00-6000.00 and it all gets put into perspective.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:19 PM

C. Noble,

Expensive gear is worth it and will probably increase your success but nothing takes the place of skills/experience.
Rifles and rods are somewhat similar.
For $25 you get a rifle that goes "bang"
For a further $25.00 you have the bullet come out the end
For a further $100.00 you can hit a newspaper sized target at 100 yards.
From the $150>about $750 they get more and more accurate
Beyond $750 they just get pretty.
Rods are somewhat similar. The break over price point is near $250 for light spin rods, $350 for fly rods. Heavier reels and gear I've no experience with.
Rods that I sell at $1350 take <>65+ hours to construct and about $250.00 of parts. From these numbers, you can see that I'm making a mint.
A good example are guides - I can purchase guides for $0.10/ea. but the ones I use are $1.35/ea.
You figure out which ones last longer and don't rip up your line!

Regards,

Don
Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 PM

Most of my rods are mid market $60-$120 bucks. I have a 4-5 that are pricey. They certainly have some advantages based on their application.

I definitely use the best lines I can and buy the best reels I can.

Jigging foe finicky walleye - a good stick makes a huge difference.

If I were to rate importance ...........

1) mono versus braid

2) followed by a high quality reel,

3) the rod itself

It surprises me how many guys will recommend the most junky, old technology and numb rods for almost every application across the board ......... I can think of one parabolic glass rod, which fits this category well, and to my surprise, many people swear by it ...........

I'd like to put my mid market St.Croix spinning rod ($120) in their hand to show them the difference.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 PM

Thanks for the answers. What are everyones suggestions for upgrading gear. Brands etc.. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Noble View Post
Thanks for the answers. What are everyones suggestions for upgrading gear. Brands etc.. Thanks.
Research the specs that make the most sense for the techniques you will be using. Set a price range. Wander every fishing section in every store til you find the rod that feels right. Pair it with a good reel, and get some good line on it and you're set. I fish multiple brands and performance varies with all of them. I've even noticed differences in rods of the same make and model while searching for a new rod.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 06-18-2013, 11:57 PM

While working at Bass Pro in the fishing department for the first couple years it was open, I sold an absolute TON of gear.

I did my best to sell the right gear to people within their means, as some people just don't have the want/need to buy even mid-range rods and/or reels, which is totally understandable.

But I can honestly say the number of returns of below mid-range broken rods and reels vastly outnumbered the returns of those who spent a little bit more money on said gear.

It also comes down to how well you take care of your stuff, as lots of folks have said above.

I personally buy mid-to-high range gear, because I find it tends to last in the long run (for me, at least).
Old 06-18-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Most of my rods are mid market $60-$120 bucks. I have a 4-5 that are pricey. They certainly have some advantages based on their application.

I definitely use the best lines I can and buy the best reels I can.

Jigging foe finicky walleye - a good stick makes a huge difference.

If I were to rate importance ...........

1) mono versus braid

2) followed by a high quality reel,

3) the rod itself

It surprises me how many guys will recommend the most junky, old technology and numb rods for almost every application across the board ......... I can think of one parabolic glass rod, which fits this category well, and to my surprise, many people swear by it ...........

I'd like to put my mid market St.Croix spinning rod ($120) in their hand to show them the difference.
Let me guess, are it's initial's U-S.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-19-2013, 12:03 AM

Definately agree with spending the money on something you'll use for so many hours.
Stocked up on lots of quality stuff while working at the Fishin Hole (glory days), and still use lots of it today 10+ years later.
A couple of points as well, maintenance is everything, and with some of the major $ classes, your also paying for warranty and customer service (coming from a guy who broke a new St Croix while doing what he tried to call fly-fishing) - replaced no questions asked.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:06 AM

Also, and as much as I vehemently hate to say it, the Ugly Stik Lites were actually a great bang-for-your-buck pike rod, and could handle a serious amount of abuse.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:09 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 780sjc View Post
Really disagree with you on this one. Every manufacturers rods are going to perform different. Even two rods from the same company with the same specs, but separate models let's say a 100 bucks difference in price, can and will perform very differently.
So what is the point of a rating system ??? Action on a cheap ultra light is not ??ultra light . See what every one cannot quantify is the quality differance in actuality is physical wt eg a cheap ultra light may weigh 15g (random) a high end ultra light may weigh 5g (again random) with many of the same parts eg reel seat or guides however the blank is of a much lighter weight. one other point the warranty on some good rods is worth a some what higher cost .
My point is the rating system exists to quantify the speed and action of a single manufacture' s line of rods . No matter the price . Some wish to have a 3000 vclr nacimushi dl prz 7'1" jig rod fair enough I know for the same cost I can get a full arsenal of decent outfits cause I aint fishin for a living . Oh and if you think the high end gear is all that check out the price on a 17mtr canal pole cause the what you thought was high end is peanuts. Perspective. 7grand of carbon kind of makes a 600 $ rod look on the bargin bin side of our sport.bolinasese any one lol.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:

i dont think its about # of fish, its about the adventure. I can put 100X more fish in teh boat with current or dynamite, does that mean im a good fisherman?
IMHO