Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-19-2013, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
So what is the point of a rating system ??? Action on a cheap ultra light is not ??ultra light . See what every one cannot quantify is the quality differance in actuality is physical wt eg a cheap ultra light may weigh 15g (random) a high end ultra light may weigh 5g (again random) with many of the same parts eg reel seat or guides however the blank is of a much lighter weight. one other point the warranty on some good rods is worth a some what higher cost .
My point is the rating system exists to quantify the speed and action of a single manufacture' s line of rods . No matter the price . Some wish to have a 3000 vclr nacimushi dl prz 7'1" jig rod fair enough I know for the same cost I can get a full arsenal of decent outfits cause I aint fishin for a living . Oh and if you think the high end gear is all that check out the price on a 17mtr canal pole cause the what you thought was high end is peanuts. Perspective. 7grand of carbon kind of makes a 600 $ rod look on the bargin bin side of our sport.bolinasese any one lol.
There is a measuring system that has been figured out, with it you can predict pretty much exactly how a rod will behave. Sadly manufactures ignore it and carry on, I suspect they don't want the scrutiny that would come with measuring a rods characteristics and would cut into their sales if a person could measure one rod against another. Most first time buyers badly miss the mark with their purchases and this leads to more sales. This measuring would not necessarily be a performance measure, but a measure of characteristics. It is used by custom fly rod builders and some manufacturer's of fly rod blanks.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-19-2013, 02:20 AM

Started with a berkley cherrywood. Caught my first 16# pike and was scared the rod would explode at the grip. Now it feels like a noodle compared to my johnny morris signature rod. Then last year i spooled some braid on it and went jigging walleye and it came alive. Outperformed 100 buck rod on 6#mono. For feel.

You will find a good rod and reel combo that you can setup for most alberta fishing for around 220 bucks. It will be light and strong and last a long time.

As you learn and progress your style and taste for performance will evolve. Eventually you will wonder how did i ever fish with that junk.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:25 AM

If you can afford why not? Get whatever you are comfortable with and whatever make you happy. I love fishing, I don't mind spend extra couple hundred bucks on rod or reel.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:50 AM

I recently upgraded from a ugly stick to g loomis. It was a bit of a price jump and also put on a higher end reel. I bought a crank bait series, baitcasting rod/reel first night out fishing I boated 25 girlfriend caught 1 we were using the same hook and well she usually outfished me. This has never happend again we are always with in a few fish. You don't think much of it but even reeling in with a bait the difference it allows to have a good rod and get proper lure action. It may be in my head but I also feel it allows for easier hook sets, at least I loose less fish before I get them to the boat. I am going to wait for another sale and get a light action one or med light for trout fishing. Another thing I noticed for fishing all day which I do frequently is the weight of the rod is nothing helps with not tiring you out after casting all day. One other thing was i coild never feel my hook bounching off the bottom before now you to know exactly where it is. I bougjt a med heavy and have been using it for everything. But when it comes down to it budget in a good reel with the rod also or it wouldn't be worth it I feel. My girlfriend loves her ugly stick but she is rocking a 300 dollar reel on it.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:08 AM

for fishing pike and walleye at pigeon I use a 7'0 ugly stick. I have had some other rods more expensive and cheaper but they are missing eyelits and broke off tips. I even had on come apart at the grip.
To be honest I let my kids use my rod sometimes and probably do not take care of it like some of you folks might.

My general thought is that fishing rods are like golf clubs. 2000 dollar set of clubs and a 20 dollar swing doesnt make sense.

Spending money 1000 of dollars on gear is not going to catch you more fish if your in the wrong spot.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund rebel View Post
I recently upgraded from a ugly stick to g loomis. It was a bit of a price jump and also put on a higher end reel. I bought a crank bait series, baitcasting rod/reel first night out fishing I boated 25 girlfriend caught 1 we were using the same hook and well she usually outfished me. This has never happend again we are always with in a few fish. You don't think much of it but even reeling in with a bait the difference it allows to have a good rod and get proper lure action. It may be in my head but I also feel it allows for easier hook sets, at least I loose less fish before I get them to the boat. I am going to wait for another sale and get a light action one or med light for trout fishing. Another thing I noticed for fishing all day which I do frequently is the weight of the rod is nothing helps with not tiring you out after casting all day. One other thing was i coild never feel my hook bounching off the bottom before now you to know exactly where it is. I bougjt a med heavy and have been using it for everything. But when it comes down to it budget in a good reel with the rod also or it wouldn't be worth it I feel. My girlfriend loves her ugly stick but she is rocking a 300 dollar reel on it.
This illustrates my point EXACTLY.

Very good example - thanks ........
Old 06-19-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Noble View Post
Thanks for the answers. What are everyones suggestions for upgrading gear. Brands etc.. Thanks.
First, I've said it before and I'll say it again here, for the majority of fishing in AB, spend more money on the rod than the reel. The reel only kicks in once you've got the bite and set the hook, if the rod isn't up to that task, it doesn't matter what the reel can do. There's very few fish in AB that are going to burn a ton of drag or really tax a reel. You want smooth and light with a good drag, and that can be had for a decent price.

There are lots of options for rods when you get into the $100-200 range. Shimano, G. Loomis, and St. Croix all make good quality rods in this price range. Figure out what length, power, and action you want, and then try them all in your hand, see what you like the feel of best. The last thing to consider is warranty, it's a big investment. If you're going to go really high end, I would go Loomis. The Fibreblend and GLX in the Walleye series are incredible rods.

For reels, I think the best value starts to kick in around $120 or so. Basically, look for the reels that are behind the counter and not out on the rack lol. The best bang for the buck out there right now in my opinion is the new Shimano Symetre FL at around that $100-120 mark. It's more than enough reel even on a $200-400 rod if budget is a concern. The next step up to the Stradics is really nice if you can swing it, it gives you a little better drag and bail system.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:24 AM

I use a TFO baitcasting rod and a Abu Revo reel, total cost for the unit was around $420......i would rather feel the slightest pickup and land a ton of fish because of it than be on the water all day with less equipment and land only a few. Personal budget (and wives if married) do play a big roll in what you use though, my personal opinion is that i would rather have 1 quality setup than have 10 cheap setups. I learned the hard way fishing for musky in Ont. that if you have quality and that goes right down to your line and hooks that when you do hook that once in a lifetime fish you will not end up like me crying like a little school girl with gum in her hair!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 AM

I think it depends in large part upon the skill level of the user.

Give me Tiger Woods' clubs and I'm not gettng one stroke better. Give Tiger my clubs for a tournament and he won't make the cut.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

Give me Tiger Woods' clubs and I'm not gettng one stroke better. Give Tiger my clubs for a tournament and he won't make the cut.
A lot of truth in this post.....and is basically the bottom line.

Skill and financial levels play a large part.....and how much time are you spending doing your activity.

My equipment is for life....so I go high end.....and find it very much worth while.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Banned

Cool

Why do rod manufacturers have a rating system if price cant tell us what we need to know. How you use your gear is far more important than the gear. Are you prone to throw your outfit in the bed of the truck , if yes think ugly stick. On the other hand if you disassemble and bag and tube after every outing think a higher price point. F1 gear exists for the pro who it just so happens gets that geat for free. Owning the same clubs as tiger just means you spent way more than he did for the same sticker on the club.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:

There's a lot of truth to this, but I would suggest a slightly different take on the analogy.

I would contend that Tiger's clubs (well maybe not Tiger's exactly, but high end clubs that fit you properly) would in fact knock a few strokes off of your game and make you a better golfer. I'm also guessing you'd enjoy the game more because you'd be more likely to hit a few really nice shots during your round.

Tiger or any PGA pro would probably have a hard time making the cut with your clubs or any off the shelf clubs, but obviously their skill level and knowledge of the game would still allow them to play at a very high level and be better than most guys out on the golf course, even if those average guys were using top of the line clubs.

Golf clubs are definitely the best analogy for fishing rods lol.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
There's a lot of truth to this, but I would suggest a slightly different take on the analogy.

I would contend that Tiger's clubs (well maybe not Tiger's exactly, but high end clubs that fit you properly) would in fact knock a few strokes off of your game and make you a better golfer. I'm also guessing you'd enjoy the game more because you'd be more likely to hit a few really nice shots during your round.
Gotta disagree. High end clubs designed for top golfers aren't just better, they are different. My son works in a pro shop at a golf course, is a pretty good golfer himself, and has a few sets of high end demos. The heads are smaller, not designed to provide huge sweet spots. A rookie couldn't break 100 with them. But he can cut or fade with them (planned, not by accident like me LOL). Clubs designed for guys like me have bigger, more forgiving faces, etc. I'm just trying to hit the ball straight as often as possible.

ok, derail completed LOL Sorry
Old 06-19-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Gotta disagree. High end clubs designed for top golfers aren't just better, they are different. My son works in a pro shop at a golf course, is a pretty good golfer himself, and has a few sets of high end demos. The heads are smaller, not designed to provide huge sweet spots. A rookie couldn't break 100 with them. But he can cut or fade with them (planned, not by accident like me LOL). Clubs designed for guys like me have bigger, more forgiving faces, etc. I'm just trying to hit the ball straight as often as possible.

ok, derail completed LOL Sorry
Thus the reason for this comment - "well maybe not Tiger's exactly, but high end clubs that fit you properly"
Old 06-19-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Agree.

For walleye jigging and rigging. There are some/many very sensitive lower end rods in the $60.00 - $100.00 range. A persons perception of "feel"(sensitivity) is not the same and many/most wont feel the difference.

ps cork handles will transmit the "feel" the best.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 06-19-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:56 AM

in our fishing group, the guy with the walmart spin cast reel / rod combo consistanly out fishs everyone.

Personly I think we get caught up into the marketing.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:09 AM

The only people that buy expensive gear are the ones think money will make up for everything. You have to buy things with a purpose, if you're going for big fish you need reliable gear, that $10 super special combo won't work for a 40lb salmon, although I've done it, it takes forever. I've never bought rods for over $100 and never will, simply because there's no reason to. Well... I shouldn't say never, if I had millions of $$s I'd probably buy them just for the hell of it but would end up fishing with a $40-80 rod. In the end it's skill, not your money.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfred View Post
The only people that buy expensive gear are the ones think money will make up for everything. You have to buy things with a purpose, if you're going for big fish you need reliable gear, that $10 super special combo won't work for a 40lb salmon, although I've done it, it takes forever. I've never bought rods for over $100 and never will, simply because there's no reason to. Well... I shouldn't say never, if I had millions of $$s I'd probably buy them just for the hell of it but would end up fishing with a $40-80 rod. In the end it's skill, not your money.
Skill won't help much with a foam grip fly rod. Takes money to cure that problem.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:08 PM

Do you need high end anything in life? I say no you do not. You can wear hand me down clothes at the bar and get girls, You can use an old 1980's compound bow and kill a trophy animal, You can drive a old beat up truck and pull a trailer, But to say the high end stuff is not better is just not true. Same goes for fishing. In our Shimano line their is a reason why you pay big bucks for top end rods and reels they are way better than the lesser although very capable rods and reels. I don't spend my money on liquor or cigarettes or fancy clothes but I do buy the best stuff I can afford when it comes to fishing and hunting. Its what I love to do. In my opinion their is a bigger jump from low end stuff to mid range stuff then the jump from mid range stuff to top of the line stuff.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinO View Post
. In my opinion their is a bigger jump from low end stuff to mid range stuff then the jump from mid range stuff to top of the line stuff.
I totally agree - I saw a $15 rod, reel and line combo, medium action (by Zebco) at Cabela's - to say this will catch a big nasty 10+ lb pike just the same as a mid market combo is simply silly.

It might catch a pond stocked rainbow or some small hammer handles just fine.

It's kind of like using a crappy Danielson brand 6" wire leaders and going to Wabumun for just one day ........... see how that works out for you.

If yu line holds up that piece of crap leader will explode - just like the Zebco combo.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh boyeeee... is this ever WRONG!!!!!!!

I end up w/ high end equipment after climbing the quality ladder.
And believe me......the top step is ALOT different than the bottom step.

Last edited by MtnGiant; 06-22-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
The only people that buy expensive gear are the ones think money will make up for everything.......... In the end it's skill, not your money.
I think you're pretty far off with your first comment. I know that I don't fall into that category, nor do any of the other people I know that use high end gear. Pretty narrow minded.

As for skill, it is the bottom line, but all the skill in the world can't overcome a gear failure or just generally poor gear. Good gear and skill go hand in hand in my opinion.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think you're pretty far off with your first comment. I know that I don't fall into that category, nor do any of the other people I know that use high end gear. Pretty narrow minded.

As for skill, it is the bottom line, but all the skill in the world can't overcome a gear failure or just generally poor gear. Good gear and skill go hand in hand in my opinion.
Oh boyeeeee.....are you ever RIGHT!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Banned

Cool

Wonder how many of our grand fathers had 100 $ outfits . Ahh they were not very good at catching just good at fishing.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Wonder how many of our grand fathers had 100 $ outfits . Ahh they were not very good at catching just good at fishing.
Time equivalent money - way more than you think...
Old 06-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Time equivalent money - way more than you think...
Lol ya but it was all junk from the expensive camp point of view. you know fiberglass,wood and such second hand garage sale stuff today. Some how many still taught us to fish .
Old 06-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lol ya but it was all junk from the expensive camp point of view. you know fiberglass,wood and such second hand garage sale stuff today. Some how many still taught us to fish .
Wood = Bamboo.....and in some cases = very expensive.....even in yesterdays standards.

There was high end equipment back then as well......Hardy, Winston, Thomas &Thomas, Willow&Cane, etc.....
And some items are still considered high end stuff today.

I grew up on cheap stuff....but grew into high quality through the years.

Last edited by MtnGiant; 06-22-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Imagine how much they would have marveled at and enjoyed today's technology. They might even have caught a few more fish lol.

I don't see "camps", I see people offering friendly advice based on their experience. To each their own, as long as people are out fishing and enjoying it, thats what counts.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Banned

Cool

A skilled practitioner will achive similar results given tools of sufficient quality . Quality is not measured by a price tag.
Now if we were talkibng fish that weigh in the 50lb + class sufficient quality doez cost more however were in the flat lands and the guy with all the big fish likes his ugly sticks funny how that works. Lol.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:32 PM

Crazy expensive rods worth it??????

In one word -

No

Not to me.

ps, I would rather have 2 jigging rods and 2 riggin rods at about $125.00 each than 1 jigging/riggin rod at $500.00

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.