Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-22-2013, 09:11 PM

Default Baitcaster overrun

I bought a low profile baitcaster and I've read on how to use them.

My issue is the spool is overrunning before the bait even hits the water. I'm okay on shorter casts, but if I try to go a little further it makes a nest.

I adjusted the tension so the crank barely falls when I jiggle the rod. I'm also putting my thumb on the spool just before the crank hits the water.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm good on casts of about 30 feet. Anymore and it makes a rat nest.

Reel is an Abu Garcia Revo S with 20lb fire line
Old 06-22-2013, 09:23 PM

Do you only have the one brake or does it have 2 brakes. I bought a quantum and I have a brake on both sides of the reel and they both need to be adjusted or I can get a similar result.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:30 PM

Ill go grab it and check
Old 06-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Banned

there is usually only one brake on a baitcaster it is opposite to the crank the other adjustment is the spool tensioner that is the one you need to adjust to stop the spool over run i have me mag brakes turned off and just use tensioner it will take a while to get use to.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:37 PM

I have it a bit tighter then it should be. It's my first baitcaster so I'm learning haha. I got frustrated and went home today but ill be back out on Wabamun tomorrow
Old 06-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I have it a bit tighter then it should be. It's my first baitcaster so I'm learning haha. I got frustrated and went home today but ill be back out on Wabamun tomorrow
this is a good video for preventing and fixing run on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAqQ8IoKUfM
Old 06-22-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:

On a side note how did you fare at wab we were out also had a good day.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund rebel View Post
On a side note how did you fare at wab we were out also had a good day.
I was shore fishing and it was my first time there so I had trouble finding a decent spot, but I found one one the southeast corner and stayed for 30 mins then went home. Didn't catch anything although a guy fly fishing caught a pike and another guy had one on but lost it.

I had millions of perch infront of me as well. Most were only 2" long but there was a couple 6" in the school.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:44 PM
Banned

Put on a heavy lure or even practice with a 1oz bell sinker.

When you cast don't whip it or snap it like you might a spinning rig.

Make wide sweeping casts.

Also, if you leave any loops or very tight spots on the spool after a birds nest, you will be prone to birds nest in that spot on the spool again.

Throw on a 1oz sinker and go practice in a field.

Thumb the spool as your lure approaches it's landing point to slow the spool speed.

and of course, adjust the tensioner...
Old 06-22-2013, 11:48 PM

Will do bee
Old 06-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Banned

also avoid casting into the wind

that is an advanced technique

go with a heavy lure, 5/8oz - 1oz+

just give it a sweeping cast out starting fairly close and then working further out as you get the hang of it.

once you get the feel for it and have the reel tuned right you should be able to bomb it out there.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:05 AM

throw it in the lake and buy a spinning reel

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-23-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
throw it in the lake and buy a spinning reel
I gots a spinning reel.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:29 AM

Default It's actually pretty simple.

I am sure on you tube there are how to vids .

The crucial adj. is when the free spool is on and you turn the knob
From full tension to just letting the weight fall. You want to cast
Short and work your way out.

You will always thumb the spool ,that's ok ,I showed the Dodger
In 2secs.....now a walleye machine. Lol

5million bass fishermen can't be wrong ,these things are for
Casting ...ergo. Baitcaster.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:00 AM

It's all about thumb control... You really have to watch when you are casting and stop the reel from spinning with your thumb right as your hook hits the water

Like Bee said practice with heavier hooks until you get the hang of it
Old 06-23-2013, 10:29 AM

Another trick is to have your thumb hovering just above the line as your cast is going out. When it starts to overrun a loop will start to form but it will hit your thumb and sometimes create enough resistance to stop nest from forming.

Will take some practise and a big thing you will learn is that you can't cast as hard as you can with a spinning reel or closed face reel. You will however get the same distance or even better though.

As beeguy mentioned use heavier lures to learn with. Light lures are a pita to use with a baitcaster.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:34 AM

I just retired my baitcaster. It was nice and smooth but I'd usually have at least 1-2 nests per day of fishing. I remember on one trip to winefred, one of my first casts nested on me. Its painful to lose time on any lake let alone winefred! I'm happy to be going back to a spinner.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:52 AM

I do thumb the spool before the crank hits the water, it's nesting before that. I'm going back out today to try again.

I also thought I over spooled it with line and cut about 15 yds off. Ill see how it does
Old 06-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
I do thumb the spool before the crank hits the water, it's nesting before that. I'm going back out today to try again.

I also thought I over spooled it with line and cut about 15 yds off. Ill see how it does
if you are backlashing before splash down then you need to either not whip so hard or tight brake slightly.

How to tweak a baitcasting reel

I'm sure things have changed in recent years, but trial and error was the only way to learn how to tweak a baitcaster during my learning days. The instructions in the box never had any useful information and we didn't have an internet to search for articles. I'm writing this article so you can quickly learn what took me a lot of trial and error to figure out.
This article applies to most baitcasting reels. Since about 2007, I've been using primarily Ambassadeur Revo reels. They are very good quality reels, with a wide range of models. As far as I know, all Revos have the same shape and size. I highly recommend the Revo. However, before 2007 I used mostly Shimano reels - and they can be tweaked the same way. They made a great reel (and still do). But I haven't kept up with all of them since I went to Revos. I'm sure most other baitcasters work the same way.
This article assumes you are using right handed baitcasting reels. If you use left handed reels, everything should be just the opposite. This article also assumes that you already know how to throw a baitcasting reel. If you don't have experience casting a baitcasting reel, read my article on how to throw a baitcasting reel. The articles compliment each other.

Fill them full
The most important (and most often ignored) factor in setting a baitcasting reel is to fill it full of line. I like to have my reels so full that if I put any more on it, it will bind up on the sides. If it does bind on the sides, it is too full. However, it is better to overfill it and have to remove some than to short yourself on every cast.
Let me explain the importance of filling it full. The main reason is that you will get longer casts. If your line is full, your spool doesn't have to turn as many revolutions to get the distance. A rule of thumb I have come up with is that the percent of how full you fill your reel is about equivalent to the percentage of your maximum casting distance. For instance, if you fill your spool 100%, your maximum casting distance is 100%. If you fill it 80%, you can only expect to throw it 80% of its' potential. Likewise, if you fill it 50% full, you can likely throw it to the end, which is about half the distance you could get if it was full.
Another reason for having it full is because it is the only way you can be consistent. If you fill your line 80% full and get it tweaked for that amount of line. Later, you get hung up and cut your line - now you are at 60%. Your settings are now too tight, so you loosen your reel so you can get your maximum distance (which is about 60%). You later fill your line full and don't tighten your settings. What can you then expect? You guessed it! You can expect a big backlash with your brand new line.
How do you prevent inconsistencies? Well, you can't totally prevent inconsistencies, because line changes after it gets wet and after it has been used. But you can be fairly consistent by filling your line full and not letting it get low. My rule of thumb is to change my line when it gets below 90% or when the line gets looking bad. When I replace the line, I don't leave any line on the reel unless I'm using mono for a backing for braid (if you tie braid directly to the spool, it will slip).
There may be reels that are exceptions (but not many) to the rule of filling them full. I had a Shimano Corsair reel that I got because of its' large line capacity. I filled it full and couldn't get it tweaked until I took about 20% of the line off. But most spools are the perfect size and should be tied directly to the spool and filled full.

Setting the brakes
Setting the brakes is very simple on the low profile styles of Shimano and Ambassadeur reels. Just remove the cover on the left side and pull out one of the 6 plastic weights to tighten the brakes or push it in to loosen the brakes. Revos have a knob on the right side that are usually finger tight (but could require a screwdriver to loosen). It must be loosened before the left plate can be removed. The round style Shimano reels (Corsair & Calcutta) are a little more complex. The brakes are in the same place and they are basically identical, but you must remove the spool from the right side of the reel to get to the brakes.
Many reels have brake control knobs on the left side of them (usually instead of centrifugal brakes). In most cases, you can tweak them by following the same procedures as the brakes. They will usually have +- or more/less written on them. "+" or "more" usually means more brakes - not more distance. So, don't get that confused. Also, don't get the brake confused with the friction adjustment. All baitcasting reels that I ever use have a friction adjustment between the spool and the handle.
Tweaking the reel
To tweak the reel, first fill your reel full with line. Then tighten the friction control knob (located under the star drag control) on the right side of the reel. You don't want it finger tight, just tighten it until it is just tight enough for a bait to slowly drop. It's better too tight than too loose. Start with 3 brakes out and 3 brakes in. Cast your lure fairly easily, but not against the wind. If it backlashes before the bait hits the water, you need to pull out a brake. If it backlashes after the bait hits the water, either you released too late (which you will almost certainly do the first time you cast it overhead) or you need to tighten your friction control knob.
If you didn't backlash on the cast, try again a little harder. If it still didn't backlash, push in another brake and repeat the process. You want to find the point where if you pushed in one more brake it would backlash before the bait hit the water. The only way I know to find that point is to push them in until it does backlash (before it hits the water) and then pull one out. That point will usually be 1 to 3 brakes out on a calm day and 2 to 5 brakes out on a windy day. If you are able to fish with no brakes out, you probably don't have enough line or your reel needs maintenance. Most of my reels have 2 brakes out. When I have beginners, I will often need to set it to 3 brakes. Likewise, if I'm fishing a tournament or for some reason my clients aren't using my reels, I will sometimes have them set with just one brake. When I have a reel perfectly tweaked for me, it will be too loose for most of my clients.
Once you get it tweaked to where it would backlash if you pushed in another brake, then you do any adjusting with the friction control knob on the right. Loosen it to get more distance, or tighten it to keep it from backlashing.
Keep in mind that your reel will let you know if it is too loose, but it won't tell you if it is too tight. You may set it for a windy day and when the wind dies down you could be getting much longer casts if you pushed in a brake or two. Likewise if you have it set for a full spool and you lose some line, it will then be too tight.
How tight you put the brake cover on (reels that don't snap into place) will also make a difference on some reels. Tighter will slow the spool, while looser will make it spin (and backlash) easier. I believe most manufacturers are getting away from the variable adjusting brake covers.

Setting the drag
Setting the drag can mean the difference from catching or losing a fish, so it is very important. In case you didn't know, the big star next to the reel handle is the drag setting. Clockwise tightens the drag while counter-clockwise loosens it. I like to get the fish in the boat as soon as possible, so I normally keep the drag as tight as I can get away with. If I am using 30 pound test, I don't want the drag to slip unless a big fish turns away right at the boat. If I am using lighter line, I want it to slip so it doesn't break the line.
What I do is put my thumb on my spool (pushing down hard on the line) and hold it tight to keep it from turning. I then turn my reel handle. If my drag is too tight, I can't keep the spool from turning - so I will loosen it counter-clockwise. If it is too loose, I can hold the spool and easily turn the handle without the spool turning - so I will tighten it clockwise. This is basically the same as trying to pull the line to see if the drag will turn, only it doesn't dig the line in the reel. You may still want to pull the line to test it - just to make sure it is set right. Be sure to check it fairly often - especially if someone else uses your reel. I often set the hook on a fish later to find out that one of my clients loosened the drag so much that I couldn't get a hookset.

Website/Articles by Professional Guide Richie White

Professional Guide
Richie White
(903) 439-2266
Richie@bassfishing.org
Old 06-23-2013, 12:38 PM

Thanks for that article. I finally managed to access the centrifugal brakes. All 6 were not engaged. I put 3 in and 3 out
Old 06-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for that article. I finally managed to access the centrifugal brakes. All 6 were not engaged. I put 3 in and 3 out
Hope it helps

That willbe a good place to start and as Bee stated it is better to start with a heavier lure.

Good Luck
Old 06-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Banned

Cool

Most modern level winds for casting require little thumb control, setting the casting drags properly and refining you casting stroke will make all the difference. As BG pointed out start with heavy lures or just a lead and practice practice. Bass anglers hmmf wouldnt have a clue. Try you tube long distance casting not a bass advertising mannequin to be seen lol
Old 06-23-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Start with one, and work your way up. to where it's needed. I bought a Shimano low pro not to long ago with the dual braking system. Not used to it so I had to fiddle with it a bit. Once I figured out how much braking to use for the different weights of lures I was using it became a breeze to cast. Unfortunately the line guide always hangs up on the left side when retrieving. Going to put some lighter line on it and hope that helps otherwise it was a waste of money.

New LTs article was very good, however I don't agree with his position of spooling til it's full. I've always left at least 1mm of spool showing, too much line can cause problems, just like not enough line. Though I've only owned the one low pro, all the other baitcasters are the round style so it could be a reel type specific thing. I've yet to meet someone who can spool an Ambassadeur 6000 with 15lb mono spooled to close to full.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 06-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
Start with one, and work your way up. to where it's needed. I bought a Shimano low pro not to long ago with the dual braking system. Not used to it so I had to fiddle with it a bit. Once I figured out how much braking to use for the different weights of lures I was using it became a breeze to cast. Unfortunately the line guide always hangs up on the left side when retrieving. Going to put some lighter line on it and hope that helps otherwise it was a waste of money.

New LTs article was very good, however I don't agree with his position of spooling til it's full. I've always left at least 1mm of spool showing, too much line can cause problems, just like not enough line. Though I've only owned the one low pro, all the other baitcasters are the round style so it could be a reel type specific thing. I've yet to meet someone who can spool an Ambassadeur 6000 with 15lb mono spooled to close to full.
have never had problems with filling he spool and you are right we are dealing with low pros in this case but i still fill all my level winds as far as the 6000 it is only 245 yd why would you not fill it?
Old 06-23-2013, 03:12 PM

When I first got mine I wanted to throw it in the lake. I'm kind of stubborn though and stayed with it. Just keep on keeping on and it will get better, takes lots of practice. At first I took along extra line in case I couldn't get the birds nest out. once you get the hang of it the're a ton of fun.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
When I first got mine I wanted to throw it in the lake. I'm kind of stubborn though and stayed with it. Just keep on keeping on and it will get better, takes lots of practice. At first I took along extra line in case I couldn't get the birds nest out. once you get the hang of it the're a ton of fun.
hahahahaha best advice here
Old 06-23-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new LT View Post
have never had problems with filling he spool and you are right we are dealing with low pros in this case but i still fill all my level winds as far as the 6000 it is only 245 yd why would you not fill it?
Water I used it in mostly if the fish went over 150 yards it was around 2 bends. I've had issues with casting when I over spooled my reels before, so I try to leave about a 1mm lip showing. It's not a lot of line I'm missing out at that point, and I know that I haven't over spooled it.

Guy's looking for help learning a new reel, tips on how not to over spool are just as helpful as tips on why you should spool as much line as possible.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 06-23-2013, 08:33 PM

Got it working good today. Caught over 20 pike at Wab today from shore. I killed them
Old 06-23-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Got it working good today. Caught over 20 pike at Wab today from shore. I killed them
Sounds like your getting the hang of it!
Good for you.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 06-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
Water I used it in mostly if the fish went over 150 yards it was around 2 bends. I've had issues with casting when I over spooled my reels before, so I try to leave about a 1mm lip showing. It's not a lot of line I'm missing out at that point, and I know that I haven't over spooled it.

Guy's looking for help learning a new reel, tips on how not to over spool are just as helpful as tips on why you should spool as much line as possible.
for sure everything helps.