Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-15-2015, 10:17 AM

Default Good 3wts?

I am looking for a new 3wt. I have been considering the echo3 or Boost? Or the cabela's CGR glass setup. Does anyone have any experience with these rods? Or what are some other great 3wts for the southern Alberta waters?
Old 12-15-2015, 10:36 AM

Fish Tales had a 3wt Sage Response on sale yesterday. I bought a 4wt.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:35 AM

Loved my BVK <3 <3 <3
Old 12-15-2015, 11:38 AM

St. Croix imperial is a good one. I have an loop opti stream which works well.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:18 PM

I have a sage one 3wt for sale.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:27 PM

After test driving a few rods I decided on the hardy Jet 7'6" 3wt and I love it. I preferred it over most of the rods at the fishin hole that day and still like it a lot
Old 12-15-2015, 12:49 PM

I have a 7'6" 3wt TFO and have no complaints. I personally would prefer a longer rod for my applications but I bought it used and the price was right so can't complain about that!
Old 12-15-2015, 12:50 PM

Troutmonk... Where can you get the Cabela cgr glass rods? Were u going to order from the states, can I cannot find them locally. Heard good things about them based on the price.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:29 PM

I had a series 1 TFO 6' 2wt that I despised, bought a greys GRXi 6' 3wt and it's like night and day. The echo3 is a nice rod but it's so fast that a lot of guys like to overline it.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 12-15-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.seaward View Post
Troutmonk... Where can you get the Cabela cgr glass rods? Were u going to order from the states, can I cannot find them locally. Heard good things about them based on the price.
You can get it on the stateside site only. It's ona pretty good sale. I did the conversion and the 3wt comes to 79 cdn.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Banned

Fly expo is coming to town soon, you can test a bunch of rods there and figure out what suits you best.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:47 PM

Love my TFO bvk in 3wt!!
Old 12-15-2015, 06:12 PM

I'm putting my vote for a Pieroway X-series in a 3wt. You can fully customize the rod too!
Old 12-15-2015, 10:27 PM

Echo Carbon in 3wt 7'6". Beauty of a rod just the right action moderate fast. I have used it for nymphing, drys and streamers. Or try a pieroway caboglass
Old 12-16-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
Echo Carbon in 3wt 7'6". Beauty of a rod just the right action moderate fast. I have used it for nymphing, drys and streamers. Or try a pieroway caboglass
have you casted the carboglass? I'm seriously considering one...

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 12-16-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4D7 View Post
I'm putting my vote for a Pieroway X-series in a 3wt. You can fully customize the rod too!
The problem with peiroway is... I CAN"T GET A HOLD OF THEM!! I have tried literally about 9 times now over many months. I have had others try and contact them for me. And not one response.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:10 PM

Some serious diversity in what you are considering, and hence the opinions sent your way too. (Guessing the Sage One prices at a little more than you want to spend

The Echos are a completely different kettle of fishin than the CGR. I have the CGR in a 2 wt. It's a fun little noodle to cast with, that would probably be better compared to the Redington Butterstick (the only other fiberglass rod I have ever cast). Almost a bit of a novelty rod for me, but at the sale price point I figured no harm done. Not sure how long the 3wt CGR is, but the Echos are at least a foot and some change longer than my 2, I'm sure. The Echos are medium/fast rods I believe, and the CGR is slow as cold molasses. I've not tried the Echo3, but did have a go for a couple of casts with a Boost 4wt last year... I just remember it feeling very heavy in my hand.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:03 PM

9' 3wt sage one is all I fish for trout applications in Alberta. That rod is sick.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutmonk View Post
The problem with peiroway is... I CAN"T GET A HOLD OF THEM!! I have tried literally about 9 times now over many months. I have had others try and contact them for me. And not one response.
I'm not sure why you are having issues contacting them, but if you are interested I will gladly contact Geoff himself and have him arrange something with you.

Please pm me if you are interested.

Cheers
Old 12-16-2015, 02:05 PM

Default 3 wt.

I use a LOOP Greyline for a 3 wt. fantastic Rod.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:18 PM

Love my Echo 3, have it in a 3wt and 4wt. Great rod for small streams or tossing light tippets with small flies on the bow!
Old 12-23-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
I had a series 1 TFO 6' 2wt that I despised, bought a greys GRXi 6' 3wt and it's like night and day. The echo3 is a nice rod but it's so fast that a lot of guys like to overline it.
I've got the Grey's GRXi 3 weight as well. Probably the best rod for the money out there!!
Old 12-24-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure why you are having issues contacting them, but if you are interested I will gladly contact Geoff himself and have him arrange something with you.

Please pm me if you are interested.

Cheers
Thanks to 4D7 I got a hold of Geoff over at Pieroway and decided on a the
8'3" X-Series. This is the handle the beginning of the rod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (20.6 KB, 70 views)
Old 12-24-2015, 09:53 PM

Oh my that is a dandy^^^^
Old 12-25-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Oh my that is a dandy^^^^
Thank you sir. I was VERY impressed with Geoff Pieroway. He is like a mad scientist of rod building. Very experienced, very knowledgeable and simply lives the sport of fly fishing and wants others to enjoy it as well. I cannot reccomend him and his rods more.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
The problem with Pieroway is they are just asian made blanks dressed up to look nice. If you are looking for a 3 wt you are likely targeting very educated or spooky fish. Thus, I would save your money for a high end rod like the Sage One. When it comes to fly fishing hand made American product is the best.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
That's a great way to break a rod. 3 weights are designed for small dry flies and very light presentation.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draytonv View Post
The problem with Pieroway is they are just asian made blanks dressed up to look nice. If you are looking for a 3 wt you are likely targeting very educated or spooky fish. Thus, I would save your money for a high end rod like the Sage One. When it comes to fly fishing hand made American product is the best.
x2 However there are some good rods coming out of Asia... I still wouldn't pay the outrageous prices for a fancy done up asian blank.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:57 PM

Here is the thing. Fly fishing like any business relies heavily on brand advertisement, things like special proprietary technology, higher carbon fibre to filler ratios, higher density corks, and so on. And with this marketing comes increased price. But companies like Sage, R.L. Winston, G. Loomis, Grey's, Thomas and Thomas, and Hardy price me out of fly fishing, I iterally cannot afford to fish these brands. I have no doubt that these rods are luxurious to fish with but I do not believe the rod in itself makes the angler.

I am currently fishing a Costco admundson kit rod. I have replaced the reel it came with the kit with a Galvan that I got on a smoking deal. My friend on the other hand has a Snowman built Thomas and Thomas with a hardy reel. He DOES NOT catch more quantity or better quality fish than I do, even though we fish the same runs during the same trips, and he has been fishing for 6 years longer than I have.

I asked the question about which rod people like so I can't be entirely surprised that people are voicing their rod preference. What is surprising to me is how often I encounter the myth that better gear = better angler; Better gear = more/better fish.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:37 AM

You are definitely right. You can't expect that the gear you use will make you a better angler or catch more fish. However, you do notice a significant difference in performance and ease of casting.
I suggested the sage one because a 3 weight serves a very specific application so assumed you would be looking for high performance. I personally wouldn't buy a 3 weight unless it was top of the line, which is why I don't have one yet lol.
That being said there are many price points offered by the main American made companies (Sage, Orvis, Winston)