Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-18-2010, 11:26 PM

Default ..a lot of rage about Rage out there!

Tonight, I spent some time surfing some other sites and forums reading up on the Rage broadheads. WOW, there's a lot of disappointed shooters out there with all sorts of stories of how the broadhead failed. Stories circulate about all broadheads but I don't think I've ever seen this level of critisism of a broadhead.

Anyone know of any other similar "slip-cam" heads that have maintained a better reputation?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 PM

Just wondering what sort of failures you read about?
If you do a Google search on "Rage broadhead failure" you don't come up with too many situations. Only thoughts of what may happen if......

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 08-18-2010, 11:52 PM

Just google "Rage broadheads" without the word "failure". It takes time to read through the numerous threads, but, it's within those threads you'll find the stories. Not to be misunderstood, there are many GOOD reviews as well not to mention the fact that I took my elk last year with a two-blade Rage.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
Tonight, I spent some time surfing some other sites and forums reading up on the Rage broadheads. WOW, there's a lot of disappointed shooters out there with all sorts of stories of how the broadhead failed. Stories circulate about all broadheads but I don't think I've ever seen this level of critisism of a broadhead.

Anyone know of any other similar "slip-cam" heads that have maintained a better reputation?

Give G5, Tekans or T3s a look.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:19 PM

I always read criticism with skepticism, especially when it's "bowhunters" that are blaming their tackle for missing a "monster". It is easier for us to come up with excuses rather than believing that it was our own error for blowing the shot. I always wonder if the guy blaming his tackle ever shoots his bow in the off-season or just the week before the season opener. Broadheads seem to be the first thing in the blame game. If anybody is uncertain about the broadhead opening up in flight, then just double band it. I have actually shot at my target at 30 yards with the rage opened up intentionally and it didn't even fly that badly. My suggestion is that if you try lots of different broadheads practicing into foam and go with what you feel most comfortable with. The confidence that you gain from doing that will help you make the shot when it really counts. My $.02. Good luck to everyone!!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:48 PM

I liked the rage OK far a tree stand application but did not care for them in a spot and stalk application. A little too sensitive and prone to opening for my liking, but I am the first to admit to not the most graceful crawling through grass or bush. I am sure most mechanicals are probably in the same boat.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
I liked the rage OK far a tree stand application but did not care for them in a spot and stalk application. A little too sensitive and prone to opening for my liking, but I am the first to admit to not the most graceful crawling through grass or bush. I am sure most mechanicals are probably in the same boat.
That's a great point. I would not recommend these for a spot and stalk. I have done it but would prefer not to do it again. It's one more thing to have to worry about when you shouldn't have to. I prefer the 4 blade slick tricks for stalking.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:13 AM

You'll find the same reveiw(s) for any broahead, not just rages. Somebody always happens to have a bad experience.

It's bowhunting, it happens no matter what broadhead you use.

Tip the odds in favor:
- ensure your broadheads shoot straight (sacrifice a few by filling them down and using them in target in hunting situations)
- practice lots (well placed shot really counts)
- Sharpen your hunting broadheads (they cut better)
- Shoot your quiver arrows once with your practice broadheads on them to ensure they fly as you think