Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-09-2015, 08:02 PM

Default Out of control wildfire in Willmore

http://srd.web.alberta.ca/edson-area-update

There is currently a fairly large wildfire burning in the back side of Willmore. They are currently fighting it from the air. Just wondering if anyone on here would know why on earth they are bothering to fight it rather than letting it take its course. I thought wildfires in the park not directly threatening Grande Cache on the west side of the park would be left alone? Do we have to put out every fire in the province? even in the Willmore. Doesn't make the least bit of sense to me but perhaps someone can fill me in on this one.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:39 PM

It makes absolutely no sense considering its in a wildland park. Hopefully it burns like mad tomorrow as it looks like rain coming later in the week anyways. Great use of that firefighting effort eh....
Old 06-09-2015, 09:22 PM

Let it burn, it's time there were some good fires out there !!!

Unless one starts on the north end of Wilmore, then it's getting too close to my cabin. I would appreciate if they put that one out lol
Old 06-09-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCutthroat View Post
It makes absolutely no sense considering its in a wildland park. Hopefully it burns like mad tomorrow as it looks like rain coming later in the week anyways. Great use of that firefighting effort eh....
Consensus of people I know is that all the meadows are being overgrown with Buckbrush, fire would be a blessing.

Grizz
Old 06-09-2015, 09:52 PM

Caribou. Same reason that the same thing will happen in Jasper. They should be letting the natural cycle take place in an area like that.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:59 PM

This is the best news I've heard all day!
Old 06-09-2015, 10:42 PM

Photos from a hundred years ago of the Porcupine Hills show almost no trees on them. With fire suppression, they are now capped with a crown of coniferous forest. Natural? I think not.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods_walker View Post
Caribou. Same reason that the same thing will happen in Jasper. They should be letting the natural cycle take place in an area like that.
so they put the grizzly bears there to protect the caribou from wolves?

FIRE GOOD!
Old 06-10-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
Photos from a hundred years ago of the Porcupine Hills show almost no trees on them. With fire suppression, they are now capped with a crown of coniferous forest. Natural? I think not.
In the early 1900s, a fire burned from Waterton right up to the North Saskatchewan, most of that country was bald as a baby's bum. Same kind of photos for all that area.

Grizz
Old 06-10-2015, 01:49 PM

Why don't they let this one burn?
Old 06-10-2015, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
In the early 1900s, a fire burned from Waterton right up to the North Saskatchewan, most of that country was bald as a baby's bum. Same kind of photos for all that area.

Grizz
Every 50years or so fire would sweep from BC to cold lake. Right across the north.

Let em burn!
Old 06-10-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Thats exactly what the message was left on my phone said today. Supposed to be a migration route for the caribou between Willmore and JNP. I wonder why the fire would matter for the caribou anyway? Not like they didn't evolve dealing with it before. I'll try and get ahold of her tomorrow again and see what she says.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
Grande Prairie was named that for a reason. When settlers first arrived there were few trees anywhere. A huge fire had burned hot enough to destroy most cones as well a root systems leaving an expansive prairie.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Thats exactly what the message was left on my phone said today. Supposed to be a migration route for the caribou between Willmore and JNP. I wonder why the fire would matter for the caribou anyway? Not like they didn't evolve dealing with it before. I'll try and get ahold of her tomorrow again and see what she says.
"They" count fire as a disturbance. Same as forestry and O&G. Gonna make meeting a recovery plan more difficult. That area just became over 65% disturbed

Let it burn!

Everyone needs to stop thinking of forests as snapshots in time. They are ever changing. By not allowing it to change regenerate cycle you are changing all forests. Banff/jasper is like touring an alien through an old folks home to show them what humanity is like.

We've mucked up the fire regime enough already. Now you get a fire that can be left alone and they go pour cash all over it. Why?
Old 06-10-2015, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Techer View Post
"They" count fire as a disturbance. Same as forestry and O&G. Gonna make meeting a recovery plan more difficult. That area just became over 65% disturbed

Let it burn!

Everyone needs to stop thinking of forests as snapshots in time. They are ever changing. By not allowing it to change regenerate cycle you are changing all forests. Banff/jasper is like touring an alien through an old folks home to show them what humanity is like.

We've mucked up the fire regime enough already. Now you get a fire that can be left alone and they go pour cash all over it. Why?

In alberta, the term "old growth" is a new term... Haha.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondhitch View Post
Grande Prairie was named that for a reason. When settlers first arrived there were few trees anywhere. A huge fire had burned hot enough to destroy most cones as well a root systems leaving an expansive prairie.
And the major reason that we loose natural grasslands is from encroaching parkland. First Nations peoples would start fires to create a suitable environment for themselves and their primary food and resources.

We change our environment even when we try to keep it the same.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Let it burn!
Burn baby burn
Old 06-10-2015, 10:27 PM

I was taking a forestry class at Lethbridge College the year Yellowstone burned (1988?). Lots of doom and gloom that the park was destroyed and the wildlife that survived the fire would die off.

Low and behold, everything recovered quite well and much faster than predicted.

Ditto the area around Mount St. Helens when it blew in 1981. Scientists are still studying that area. They're amazed at the rapidity of the recovery.

Prince William Sound was supposed to be destroyed by the Exon Valdez spill. Productive once again.

The spill from the Shell oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico a few years ago was never as severe as the greenies predicted.

"Mother Nature" is much more resilient than we give her credit for.

If they let the Willmore burn, I think they would be surprised how well the area recovers and how quickly.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:35 PM

I am in agreement.
As long as no homes/cabins are in its path. Let it burn.
Supposed to get a good bit of rain this weekend.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I bet the caribou would end up doing better than they are now if they let t burn.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:55 AM

Agreed, hard to argue the benefits of wildfire has on the landscape if you have seen the regrowth within the next growing season! As long as everyone is safe, let it run!
Old 06-11-2015, 10:39 AM
Banned

how do we think this will affect hunting?

will everything be in that burn area?
Old 06-11-2015, 10:45 AM

She's ripping now 3500ha.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:

Let it burn!

Great post FT.

I was taught the same as above years ago

I remember posting the same information several years ago on AO and was called everything under the sun.

Good to see that there are some members on AO that know what should be happening.

Cheers everyone.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:27 PM

If you disagree with the governments attempt to extinguish this fire, let them know.

For starters, go to the Alberta Wildfire Facebook page and share your thoughts.

I have had very rapid responses from the government to my comments. Someone is listening....

https://www.facebook.com/AlbertaWild..._comment_reply

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-11-2015, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I have had very rapid responses from the government to my comments. Someone is listening....
generic unfortunately. they just said "thank-you, yes you're right, we're going to put it out."

odd response...
Old 06-11-2015, 02:30 PM

Alberta Wildfire Info Thanks for the question Dale, The Willmore Wilderness Park is home to lots of wildlife, from grizzly bears to caribou, and diverse plant species. The Government of Alberta is committed to protecting values crucial to the balance in the ecosystem. Managing the spread of this wildfire will help minimize damage to forests, watershed, and key wildlife habitat, while still allowing for wildfire to benefit the forest.

Not to mention limiting natural succession and regeneration of the forest. Who are we to think we know anything about such things? Arrogant thinking we always need to "help" nature out since it cant handle anything on its own...
Old 06-11-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
generic unfortunately. they just said "thank-you, yes you're right, we're going to put it out."

odd response...
Generic non-specific non-answers, but the positions/reasonings are being stated. While consultation on the merits of putting out/allowing this particular fire to burn may not change the course of action today, it will establish grounds for future decisions.

Speak up or shut up.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-11-2015, 03:54 PM

Let her burn naturally !

Dog_River
Old 06-11-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondhitch View Post
Alberta Wildfire Info Thanks for the question Dale, The Willmore Wilderness Park is home to lots of wildlife, from grizzly bears to caribou, and diverse plant species. The Government of Alberta is committed to protecting values crucial to the balance in the ecosystem. Managing the spread of this wildfire will help minimize damage to forests, watershed, and key wildlife habitat, while still allowing for wildfire to benefit the forest.

Not to mention limiting natural succession and regeneration of the forest. Who are we to think we know anything about such things? Arrogant thinking we always need to "help" nature out since it cant handle anything on its own...
You know, they actually take courses in answering questions without saying anything.