Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Banned

Default Trapline question?

Just wondering if ALL trapping in AB is conducted on registered traplines,or can a fella simply get licensed and trap crown land and/or private land with permission?
I'm relatively new to AB......not quite 2 years I guess,but not new to trapping,I trapped/snared for 20years give or take(?) in NB,kinda got the itch to get out and hang some yotes and maybe catch my first wolf?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:28 PM

Here is a good place to start.
http://www.albertatrappers.com/becoming-a-trapper.html
And here, Come to the meeting.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=158159
Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawken View Post
Thank you Hawken.I can't make that meeting but maybe next one?
Old 12-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Gone Hunting

There are four types of trapping licenses in Alberta.

A registered trapping license which allows one to trap a fixed, well defined parcel of crown land.

And a Resident trapping license which allows one to trap private land to which he or she has right of access and crown land that is not part of a registered trap line and to which the licensee has gained permission to trap through F&W.

And there is an Indian Fur trappers license (Thats what it's called in the regs) and a Metis Trapping License.

To trap open crown land (not part of a registered trap line) one would have to obtain a map of the local registered lines, locate crown land not a part of any of those lines and the apply to F&W for permission to trap said land using form WA 19A which one can pick up at any F&W office for free.

You would also need this form to trap private land that you do not own but to which you have permission from the landowner to trap. Both registered and resident trappers would need to fill out this form to trap such private land or open crown land.

It's all in the regs which can be picked up at any F&W or downloaded from http://albertaregulations.ca/
Old 12-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Gone Hunting

Oh, and you might need to take an approved trapping course.

I'm not sure about that. I was grandfathered in so didn't have to take any such course.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Banned

Thank for the info Keg,I answered a few of my own Qs from the link to trapping regs Stickied at top of forum.I was grandfathered in NB as well,from the regs,it's looks like I'll either be good to go or might have to challenge the test??Either way,not likely that I'll be doing any snaring this winter,not prepared and too busy after Christmas.Gonna try to take in a CGY local meeting some time when im not outta town or maybe some other local on the road up north somewhere/sometime?
Old 12-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Best of luck to you!

And welcome to Alberta.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Oh, and you might need to take an approved trapping course.

I'm not sure about that. I was grandfathered in so didn't have to take any such course.
If things haven't changed from when I taught the course up until 2000, you may be grandfathered in if you can produce a previous trapping license from another province.
The trapping course is actually recognized across Canada as far as I know. I think it is mandatory in all provinces to take the course.
The course is worth taking. The course used to offer on hands skinning and fleshing techniques that really helped even 'seasoned' trappers that came to the courses to learn more. The field day was always a good way to wrap up the week too.

Welcome to the Alberta outdoors.