Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-26-2012, 11:04 AM

Default Native tanned moosehide

Christmas came early this year .We drove to the Yukon and Alaska this summer stopping in Teslin Yukon where we met a nice lady/Margret at the Native Cultural Center.She spent over 3 hours with us showing us how she brain tanned moose hides step by step.We ended up near adopted at least the wife did as she shared the same name as her sister.So we ordered a pair of gauntlets and slippers for myself trimmed with wolverine fur and her tribal crest.The wife had slippers made with lynx trim.Margret showed me a pair of gauntlets she had made over 25 years ago and they still were not worn out.Not like the Whiteman's tanning she grins..............Harold

hiteman's tanning she grins.Nice lady.........Harold
Old 11-26-2012, 11:35 AM

Smile contact

any chance you can give me a contact no # or?
Old 11-26-2012, 12:59 PM

Default Will do

Will check with her to see if she is able to take any more work on.Some of her stuff even goes to Europe......Harold
Old 11-26-2012, 04:24 PM

very nice stuff.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 PM

I have been dying to find exactly this sort of thing. Deffinately let me know also if she is taking orders please
Old 11-29-2012, 09:42 PM

I have been looking for a pair of these slippers for my Wife for about 2 months, if you don't mind my asking what does she charge for a pair of Ladys slippers and are they lined it looks like your Wifes are. I would be grateful if you could let me know how to get ahold of this Lady.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:25 PM

Harold:

Thanks for posting the pictures. I have a fine pair of beaded, wolverine-trimmed moosehide mukluks that (the late) Mabel Johnson of Teslin made for me in 1966. Because they were just a bit small I rarely wore them. I lent them to the George Johnson Museum in Teslin for a display of traditional beadwork last summer so if you were at the museum, you would have seen them.

For others who are interested in getting these kinds of items, check out the Indian Craft Store in Whitehorse, Yukon. You can find their website ad at:

http://www.yukoninfo.com/brochures/p...ncraftshop.pdf

I don't think they sell on line but you can call or fax them. It's nice to have the personal connection to the craftsperson who made the item but if you can't have that, you might give these folks a call.

Bill
Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 AM

beautiful workwomanship i envy the talent some foks have and that lady has talent .. wow i like
Old 11-30-2012, 07:45 AM

if its not impolite to place in this thread .. here is the website of a woman that does some incredible work . she used to live in comox bc she made cree style moccasins for my gal 5 yrs ago and they are still in excellant shape .. her name is teresa wild

and her tipis are incredible..

http://www.tipiscanada.ca/index.html
Old 11-30-2012, 10:18 AM

Default native tanned moosehide

I had a pair of moosehide mittens given to me as a gift 30 years ago, and I still wear them today, as they are still in geat shape. They were made by an older native lady in Lac la biche.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:20 PM

I collect this type of traditional work. The Trapper Gord Store out of Debolt has some high quality aboriginal work. Traditional smoke tanned hide. Its good work. What i've discovered is most folks won't pay what this type of work commands. Expect to pay up to $400 for an intricate pair of beaded moccassins. However you can find pairs for $250 range for simple flower type beadwork. There's over $150 worth of moose hide alone in a pair of moccassins.

Bill - I bought a pair of beaded gloves from that store in the yukon that I still wear on the trapline.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beaded goods Dec 12.JPG (150.5 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Brian Bildson; 12-04-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post

Christmas came early this year .We drove to the Yukon and Alaska this summer stopping in Teslin Yukon where we met a nice lady/Margret at the Native Cultural Center.She spent over 3 hours with us showing us how she brain tanned moose hides step by step.We ended up near adopted at least the wife did as she shared the same name as her sister.So we ordered a pair of gauntlets and slippers for myself trimmed with wolverine fur and her tribal crest.The wife had slippers made with lynx trim.Margret showed me a pair of gauntlets she had made over 25 years ago and they still were not worn out.Not like the Whiteman's tanning she grins..............Harold

hiteman's tanning she grins.Nice lady.........Harold
COOL! My wife was looking foe a present for me two years ago and knew this is what wanted plus a hat. She put my brother on it and he actually ran into those two ladies at Halfords in Edmonton. I'm the proud owner of gauntlets and a beaver hat. Very well made a soooooo warm. It inspired me to start making my own including an entire moose hide voyager suit.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Banned

wow my wife would love the slippers