Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 PM

Default issues with trapping weasel

is there a trick to getting the weasel actually caught in the rat trap when using box sets..... my traps are set of some even have blood but no weasel in the set off trap....am i doing something wrong...i have victor traps with big pan and boxes with a two inch entrance hole slightly higher and a 1 3/4 hole covers with mess wire.. Do i need to have the trap as close to the entrance hole as possible or back a inch or so? thanks for any help
Old 12-10-2012, 05:12 PM

Default ???

Can't really say much to help as never used a rat trap for weasels. the big white prairie I got in a 110 a few weeks ago in the bird pen would have been hard pressed to be held by the rat traps I have seen but maybe your springs are heavier. I use an 18 X 6 X 7 inch box with both ends open with an end plate with a 4 inch round hole. the hole is for use both inside and outside the pens when cats, birds etc may go in box. I put a 12 inch X 4 inch piece of plastic sewer pipe in the hole to create a tunnel so hopefullly the tunnel will only appeal to weasel and mink types. havent lost a cat or bird to them yet.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:00 PM

Why don't you just use a 110 or 120 coni , instead of a rat trap ?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Trigger is on the entrence end? The trigger might be to sensitive, firing the trap before the weasel is fully entered. Bend the rod closer to the trigger, maybe make a difference.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:18 PM

Move the trap back away from the entrance a little. And make sure the bait is set so the weasel has to work a little to get it.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:06 PM

honestly i got no clue how they do it....i did have the trap back about a inch thats why im asking maybe it should be right under the entrance hole... they have to step on the trigger to get the bait no questions asked...i think im doing everything right maybe my luck will change im just starting will see what tomorrow will bring
Old 12-10-2012, 09:08 PM

110's are out of the question
Old 12-10-2012, 09:18 PM

Only time I ever tried for weasel, I nailed the trap to a door so the weasel had to stand up and reach for the bait.

Here is the result....

Old 12-10-2012, 09:32 PM

You can always increase the power by levering up the springs and putting a small block under them, the chin bar also increases the effeciency in my opinion, they work much better for rats like that (but have no experiance for weasel etc.) The link below probably explains better!
http://www.thehuntinglife.com/modifi...ctor-rat-trap/
Old 12-10-2012, 11:03 PM

I seem to have better luck with the older style that you can stab a piece of meat on however I still have some problems like this as well. Sometimes I think it is the little weasels that cause the grief. However sometimes it is squirrels too. Now and then if it happens to often I get peeved and set 2 traps back to back and get the tricky ones...........

Not sure if this will help but I do catch 40 or so a winter with the rat traps in boxes.........
Old 12-10-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman View Post
110's are out of the question
How come ???
Old 12-11-2012, 06:17 AM

Mice get in them and set them off sometimes
Old 12-11-2012, 06:52 AM

because i just got me a load of the weasel boxes so i want them to pay off....110's dont work with those boxes
Old 12-11-2012, 08:48 AM

i also like the rat traps for ermine, there easy for the kids to set. and cheap. my partner got this one after school yesterday.

[IMG][/IMG]

also have traps set off, and nothing in them. i think it's mice doing it. we just use milk jugs. work great!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
i also like the rat traps for ermine, there easy for the kids to set. and cheap. my partner got this one after school yesterday.

[IMG][/IMG]

also have traps set off, and nothing in them. i think it's mice doing it. we just use milk jugs. work great!
Nice caught, your partner is doing great!!

This year there is more ermine sign on the line than there has been in five years.

Big juice and tomatoes cans also work and a piece of moose or deer hide works great for bait.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.