Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2018, 07:57 AM

Question Long Term Care in and around Calgary...Opinions Please!!

I figger there have to be a few of you out there with a parent in long term care. Our Mom had to be admitted to the High River hospital back in May ( we knew this would happen, but she never listened to us!!). She never got a firm diagnosis but it is degenerative and she needs help with everything. After a couple months, she was assessed for placement and we had to come up with a list. I had toured Agecare Walden (the supportive living area, the ltc was not available to view...now I know why) and it seemed pretty nice, but the transitions coordinator at the hospital said it would take a long time to ever get a room there as it was very popular, so I chose Agecare Midnapore instead. Amazingly, within fifteen minutes of her name going in, we got the call that a semi-private bed was ready and we decided to take it. Mom seemed OK at first, but by the next day, wanted to leave. Two months later, she still does, and we don't blame her. This is a place where to save time and money, they park almost everyone out in the halls near the nursing station. Some of the staffing is questionable. We expected certain services like physio and rehab work but they don't seem interested in providing them. We have had many problems to deal with, not the least of which is Mom's attitude and temperament. even before all this happened, she was the most bitter person I know. She has two friends that bother to come visit her. She can turn it on for a few folks, but she is a loner and now this is like torture, and it makes everyone miserable, most of the time. And if the staff get s#$t on by a resident, why should they try hard to please them?? I also have to double check everything mom tells me, as she makes stuff up and her memory is getting very bad.
A few weeks after she was in there, we toured the Providence Care Centre run by the Father Lacombe Foundation. You don't have to be Catholic or religious to live there. We toured the long term care and the supportive living areas, and not one person was parked in a hallway. It is a non-profit organization which we think may make a big difference. We put her name on a transfer list right away, but who knows how long she will have to wait....

So after all that background, I want to know where your folks are. Are they happy? Are you happy? Do they get left in the hallway? Is there enough staff, and are they happy? A private room is very important to Mom and some of the older places do not have them. New ones are all private, I gather. Anyway, any feedback is appreciated!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 08-30-2018, 08:08 AM

I see you're conflicted. On the one hand, you're asking about your mother, on the other, you're considering moving to BC. If you really care about her, not compatible. My mother spent the last year of her life in extended care. If you don't keep an eye on the staff and prod a little, things won't get done. I't's not nurses that do the care, but warm bodies off the street, some of whom really don't give a ****, literally.

Grizz
Old 08-30-2018, 08:18 AM

We are not that close, but we still would like her to have good care. Unfortunately, the top notch private care is not an option. You are right...mostly warm bodies are hired. Mainly ones whose English is very lacking. And even some of the head nurses and other key positions are filled by folks who are hard to understand, so it can be a challenge to communicate with them at times. If we did move to BC, it is not quite like moving to Newfoundland...

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 08-30-2018, 08:21 AM

Some are better then others. But you have to visit everyday. The staff are not there to replace family. You have to make sure she drinks fluids when your there staff don’t have the time for that. And they don’t have the time to entertain so yes they can be left sitting around in wheel chairs. You move will have to be put on hold or you will own shares in west jet from all your emergency flights back and forth. And they will years later want to leave. They want to go back to the home they remember. That’s where all their memories are from. They have no memories from the nursing home

Last edited by Suzukisam; 08-30-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Some are better then others. But you have to visit everyday. The staff are not there to replace family. You have to make sure she drinks fluids when your there staff don’t have the time for that. And they don’t have the time to entertain so yes they can be left sitting around in wheel chairs. You move will have to be put on hold or you will own shares in west jet from all your emergency flights back and forth. And they will years later want to leave. They want to go back to the home they remember. That’s where all their memories are from. They have no memories from the nursing home
If that is the case, why the stark difference between the home Mom is in and the non-profit one we visited? Obviously, the latter must have more staff (although I didn't notice a greater number) and they also have volunteer base to help out as well. But, there are quite a few staff running around this place. Almost every person parked in the hallway is non-responsive. We have made it clear to them that she would rather sit in her room and look out the window or try to flip through a newspaper than sit in a hallway with the others. Their non-restraint policy is likely a factor in keeping them in one area so they can keep an eye on them better. But better for who? They are a profit-motivated organization. That said, I have seen the staff engage with residents, chatting and taking them to activities. But not all residents want to chat or play bingo or name-that-fruit! Some really do prefer to be left alone.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:39 AM

Different people or families see different things and options even within the same facility. A one time visit does not and can not give you a total perspective of a place. And every family and every person has different needs and wants. Some people just want a place to park and forget so the family can go on with thier lives. Others want to spend as much time with thier loved ones before they pass on and can’t handle to give care themselves. You have to look at your loved ones needs, thier wants. And your needs and wants and go from there. Non will be perfect for all. And few will be perfect for some. Till your visiting there for a couple of months you won’t really know the details and if they don’t fit then apply to move your loved one