Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-11-2020, 01:41 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Saskatchewan Monster Elk

Blair Mitchell, who is a Boone and Crockett official measurer, completed the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation score sheet for the bull and the animal had a score of 421 5/8 gross for non-typical elk. Mitchell said afterwards that it was an “honour and privilege to put the tape on the largest wild bull elk I’ve ever laid my eyes on.” The animal has the largest mass of the 72 non-typical bulls in the Henry Kelsey Record Book. It will also be entered in the Boone and Crockett Record Book, under both typical and non-typical elk.

https://www.yorktonthisweek.com/reco...ark-1.24218451
Old 10-11-2020, 01:43 PM

I wonder which game farm it escaped from.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:47 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I wonder which game farm it escaped from.

It didn't.

Cheers,
Nog
Old 10-11-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post

It didn't.

Cheers,
Nog

So how do we know this for sure. There are an awful lot of Elk running around Alberta and Sask that are released or escapees of game farms. It is also where the wild hog problem came from. Game farm animals are responsible for CWD, though no one will officially admit that, BSE, Blue Tongue now being in Canada from imported Elk, TB resurgence and a lot of other not good things. There are also significant genetic changes due to escaped animals. To believe that a genetically western Canadian Elk, from wild stock produced that rack makes me more than just a little suspicious.

Quote:
Backgrounder: tuberculosis and game farms

Mon, 30 Oct 2000 by Darrel Rowledge "The facts about Canada's Tb epidemic on game farms Certain individuals and organizations have been attempting to dismiss or deny Canada's disastrous experience with diseases on game farms. Such attempts are not just factually wrong; given the seriousness of this issue, they are utterly unethical. The facts and documentation for the Tb epidemic on game farms in
As have other countries, Canada spent millions of dollars throughout the 20th century, trying to rid our country of Tb. This effort was not just an attempt to protect animals from disease; analysis by Agriculture Canada had determined that Tb-free status would be worth $1 billion over 20 years to Canadian agriculture (Government of Canada Federal Environmental Assessment Review Office report "Northern Diseased Bison," 1990, p 8).
Canada's efforts and considerable expenditures on eradication programs had succeeded to a point where we were, finally, to achieve that precious disease free status in 1992. Unfortunately, and against the advice of virtually all of our wildlife scientists, Canadian provinces had begun legalizing and developing game ranching in the mid 1980s. It took less than five years for the scientists' predictions to be realized: A massive outbreak of Tb on game farms across the country in the early1990s destroyed Canada's opportunity for Tb-free status.
Agriculture Canada, who had been supporting the development of game farms, were eventually forced to admit the problem: "The outbreak of bovine tuberculosis in Alberta's elk and deer farms in 1990 heightened concern over the transmission and spread of this disease... approximately 3,000 animals were destroyed." "There is also concern that human health is threatened, particularly by the handling of tuberculosis-contaminated animals and animal products. As a result of the bovine tuberculosis outbreak (on game farms) in Alberta... 45 out of 500 people tested positive." (Quotes by Dr. E. Broughton, Food and Inspection Branch, Agriculture Canada, appearing in a government produced Study of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada's Environmental Decision Making Relating to Alternative Livestock Farming, July 1994. p 5)
The Tb outbreak was not at all restricted to Alberta. Game farms in BC, Saskatchewan, and Ontario were also infected (ibid). At a meeting in an Ontario community, organized by Member of Parliament John Cole, and attended by experts >from Agriculture Canada, it was explained to the public, the media, and more than 80 concerned dairy farmers that (like the massive epidemic on game farms in Alberta), Tb had (again) been found on game farms in Ontario, and that Ag Canada was forced to (another) massive and very expensive eradication (one of the game farmers received close to $1 million dollars for his 500 animals) (Dec. 31, 1991 Bradford West Gwillimbury Today).
With more 50% of the deer in some herds showing signs of Tb, Ag Canada explained that they would be testing dairy and cattle herds within a 10 km radius, and they acknowledged that they had already had repeated suspicious (positive) tests in dairy herds in the area (ibid).
One of the experts/spokesman from Agriculture Canada, "Dr. Wilson explained to the farmers that it had been the hope of Agriculture Canada to declare Canada free of Tb in 1992 but the outbreaks of Tb in the deer herds had put this back." (ibid)
Dr. Wilson was certainly not the only one admitting that Canada had lost the chance for Tb-free status: In a personal letter to me October 19, 1993, Canada's current Prime Minister Jean Chretin wrote:
"Game farming can contribute to the spread of diseases and parasites, posing a threat to human health as well as to other wildlife and livestock. We cannot ignore the economic impact these infections have already had. Clearly, Canada's efforts to achieve TB-free status " which would have been of great economic benefit to our agricultural sector " have been hindered. Some $15 million has been spent to compensate farmers for the destruction of animals exposed to infected animals. This potential spread of diseases and parasites concerns us on both agricultural and ecological grounds."
Dr. Anne Fanning, Director of Alberta's Tb clinic, documented what stands as the most serious transmission of bovine Tb to people in our history "from game farm elk to families, vets, technicians, and abattoir workers. Of 394 People tested because of potential contact with game farm elk, 81 tested positive. After analysis and further testing, treatment was recommended for 42 individuals. (See Fanning, A. and Edwards, S. 1991. "Mycobacterium bovis in human beings in contact with elk in Alberta, Canada." The Lancet 338: 253’Ä"1255)
Unfortunately, (and again as had been predicted) numerous animals "several deer and at least 20 elk" had escaped from infected/quarantined game farms, and because of the now-obvious danger of transmission to people, Alberta's Director of Wildlife issued a warning to Alberta hunters that if they happened to shoot an animal with an ear tag, do NOT even touch it! (Release by the Government of Alberta, reported in all the major media, August 26, 1991)
The simple truth is that anyone even remotely interested in facts would have found volumes of published articles, news accounts, and documentation within scientific journals. In their book "Wildlife Conservation Policy," (Detselig Enterprises Ltd. 1995.) world renowned wildlife experts Valerius Geist and Ian McTaggart-Cowan, document the inevitable disease problems associated with domesticating wildlife. Their, and other, evidence shows that many of the diseases and parasites are even more serious than Tb. Since they published this book, one of the diseases cited, transmissible spongiform ecephalopathy’Ä"the same family as mad cow disease "has been confirmed on several game farms, including for the first time in Montana. There are no live tests for this always-fatal disease, and while potential for transmission to people is unknown, Europe has now confirmed 75 human deaths from TSE traced to their mad cow epidemic (USDA executive news, 08/04/00 citing a report in the medical journal The Lancet).
Significantly, the article "Going For Their Brass Ring," which cited many of the above facts was published in the fall of 1999 in Game Warden, a magazine by Alberta Wildlife Officers that goes (among other places) to every elected official and every judge in Alberta. Alberta's Minister of Environment personally responded in the following issue, and it is noteworthy that neither he, nor his pro game farming government even attempted to challenge ANY of the facts. Moreover, the Minister's response was limited to saying that, despite the industry lobby, the government could not allow penned shoots in Alberta because the public did not support it.That point speaks volumes, because neither the game farming industry, nor the governments that have allowed it, can even remotely defend the products, much less the damage. All of the tragic costs and consequences of game farming "diseases, parasites, genetic pollution, habitat loss, the utter destruction of our system of conservation, and the threats to agriculture" are being forced on the public and our wildlife, so that a few individuals can brutally amputate velvet for aphrodisiacs, and provide live targets for penned shoots.
The above are facts, matters of record, and documented science. I would, however, ask to conclude with a question that seems to be going unasked: If we are willing to turn our back on the greatest conservation success in the history of the planet so that a few people can make money selling aphrodisiacs and penned shoots, just what do we have that is not for sale?"

Last edited by Dean2; 10-11-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:01 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
... To believe that a genetically western Canadian Elk, from wild stock produced that rack makes me more than just a little suspicious.
Always going to be nay-sayers. No surprise.

There were a few taken from Suffield in the beginning that were very close to the same size. Going to suggest they escaped from a nearby farm too??

The Bull is being DNA tested. I'll be serving up fresh crow when the results are released.

Cheers,
Nog
Old 10-11-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:

There were a few taken from Suffield in the beginning that were very close to the same size. Going to suggest they escaped from a nearby farm too??

The Bull is being DNA tested. I'll be serving up fresh crow when the results are released.

Cheers,
Nog

I would be very happy if the DNA results prove it was truly a wild Sask animal, or at least a descendent of the transplants form Alberta or the northern states.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Cheers,
Nog

Maybe trophy field photos should include close ups of the ears?

Has B&C ever disqualified a record application due to a failed DNA test?

Sad that the test is actually a good idea....

A Beautiful bull.....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-11-2020, 02:35 PM
Banned

Arrow

The Hunter is a Buddy of one of my Friends there.
He sent along the side view:

Simply WOW!!

Cheers,
Nog
Old 10-11-2020, 02:40 PM

I have thought the same thing about a game farm elk, wasn't there another giant Saskatchewan elk killed this year nice Elk though

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2020, 03:07 PM
Banned

Beautiful bull
But with no Americans being able to come hunt this year
There is a lot of big elk that guys are not going to want to pay to feed all winter long again
That mass is uncharacteristically heavy
Old 10-11-2020, 03:12 PM

Wow!!! and that’s all I’ve got to say about that.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:19 PM

Wow what a hog!!! Great bull!! Congrats!!!
Old 10-11-2020, 03:41 PM

OMG !!!!

What a pig of an elk, congrats!
Old 10-11-2020, 04:18 PM

It's a beautiful bull. I've got a pic of the original score sheet. Shot Sept 14th gross score 241 5/8" net, score 409 6/8" . Brute for sure.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:30 PM
Banned

Arrow

Another View:

Going to have a tough time getting that mount in the door!!

Cheers,
Nog
Old 10-11-2020, 04:32 PM

That's a bruit of a bull,Friend!
its gonna look mighty fine with a full shoulder mount!
Old 10-11-2020, 06:07 PM

That’s an incredible null!
Old 10-11-2020, 06:20 PM

Beautiful bull, would love to get one like that myself.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:36 PM

Amazing! That’s a huge bull regardless.
Even just seeing one like that walking around would be cool not to mention putting a tag on it
Old 10-11-2020, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:

Going to have a tough time getting that mount in the door!!

Cheers,
Nog
Euro mount is the way to go. Jmho
Old 10-11-2020, 08:02 PM

Truly amazing - seeing that much palmation and mass is unbelievable.

What a monster.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:03 PM

ABSOLUTE GIANT!! Incredible, thanks for sharing
Old 10-11-2020, 08:04 PM

Just ridiculous. I'd be shaking for a week.

Creedmoor?
Old 10-11-2020, 08:11 PM

Default B&C

Can a single trophy be entered under both typical and non typical in Boone and Crockett?
Old 10-11-2020, 08:43 PM

I’ve been told that if an animal escapes from a game farm they are now considered wild and property of the crown. Escaped DNA now is crown DNA. Would really help the genetics if more farm animals escaped. Just my thought.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Simply a beast....and sadly some people won't be nice and congratulate this fella on a truly fine bull....ohhhh well....can't take the smile off his face....simply a beast...wow factor for sure....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-12-2020, 12:44 AM

Default Dna

Great Bull! But I’d like to know how DNA will prove anything, farmed elk are not different genetically from wild elk. Or are you suggesting they will spend countless dollars and time to test it against every farmed animal that has had a DNA sample conducted? That ludicrous...

Quote:

Cheers,
Nog
Old 10-12-2020, 05:39 AM

Who cares IF it escaped...?

As long as it was shot "fair chase"....and not eating out of a trough?

The size is definitely 1 in million...
Old 10-12-2020, 05:55 AM

Yup it's a brute, came out of Duck Mountain Provincial Park zone 37, you can bet that if they allowed hunting in Elk Island or Jasper / Banff there would some elk that would rival this boy for score, there were a couple other elk taken down in the Senlac / Manitou Lake country a few years back that both scored in that 400 range if my memory serves me correct

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Great Bull! But I’d like to know how DNA will prove anything, farmed elk are not different genetically from wild elk. Or are you suggesting they will spend countless dollars and time to test it against every farmed animal that has had a DNA sample conducted? That ludicrous...
All farmed elk are DNA tested and put in a database. At least they used to be.

FWIW it’s likely a wild elk that had the opportunity to grow and mature before it was found and hunted.

Never understood why whenever a giant animal is taken the first thought are photoshopped, game farm, or poached.

Sometimes things are exactly as they seem.

LC