Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-30-2019, 01:14 PM

Default Sheep River access?

Looking to go exploring/scouting for fishing spots along Sheep River Road on the weekend. Might have my older parents with me so looking for places where it isn't a long or steep walk to the water. Probably go all the way to the end were it loops around so any spots along the way would be great. Heard Sandy Mcnabb day use was closed early this year. Is this a good spot and is it open.

Don't want to know any secret spots to fish but easy access points and whether to go up or down stream would be appreciated.

Thanks for any advise. Have been reading and learning for years and decided to finally register.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:36 AM

Went out on Sunday to look around but did not fish.
The day use at Sandy McNabb is closed but used the road for easy access to river about 10 min walk each way. Picnic tables and fire pits still there at day use. Road is closed because of falling rocks. Down stream looks like it goes into a closed canyon upstream looks very fishable.

Sheep river falls day use also provides good access to river. Couple of tables and fire pits right on river down stream is the falls and upstream look fishable.

Plenty of places you can see the river from road and judge the climb down. Well worn trails head down that way.

Despite plenty of snow on ground and cold absolutely loved this day trip. The sheep river is beautiful. Ultra clear with rocky bottom and deep plunging pools. The falls was also worth checking out with great view points of the 3 falls. Saw deer,sheep and a close encounter with what I think was a ruffled grose.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCowboy View Post
Went out on Sunday to look around but did not fish.
The day use at Sandy McNabb is closed but used the road for easy access to river about 10 min walk each way. Picnic tables and fire pits still there at day use. Road is closed because of falling rocks. Down stream looks like it goes into a closed canyon upstream looks very fishable.

Sheep river falls day use also provides good access to river. Couple of tables and fire pits right on river down stream is the falls and upstream look fishable.

Plenty of places you can see the river from road and judge the climb down. Well worn trails head down that way.

Despite plenty of snow on ground and cold absolutely loved this day trip. The sheep river is beautiful. Ultra clear with rocky bottom and deep plunging pools. The falls was also worth checking out with great view points of the 3 falls. Saw deer,sheep and a close encounter with what I think was a ruffled grose.
I've never had much luck upstream of the falls towards Bluerock. Some good spots downstream in Indian Oils and further down. Beautiful area for sure. We used to snorkel in a few pools upstream of Okotoks. Amazing how many big bulls and other trout there are in that river. Trick is getting them to bite.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:28 PM

Reg say permanently closed from Indian Oils day use down to Gorge Creek. Must have changed since the last time you were there.

Thanks for recommendations, I plan on exploring this area in the spring.

Thinking of trying Turner Valley to Black Diamond Stretch on weekend. Any good?
Old 10-12-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCowboy View Post
Reg say permanently closed from Indian Oils day use down to Gorge Creek. Must have changed since the last time you were there.

Thanks for recommendations, I plan on exploring this area in the spring.

Thinking of trying Turner Valley to Black Diamond Stretch on weekend. Any good?
Yeah. I haven't fished up there since 2005 or so.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:16 AM

Going out tommorw (sunday) you think around Turner Valley is good are do they migrate down this time of year?
Old 10-12-2019, 01:43 PM

I have had some good luck with feisty little trout and lost a good sized bull by the golf course water intake. Some good pools around the old gas plant area.