Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2012, 05:05 PM

Default Car Insurance

16 year old stepdaughter got her drivers licence yesterday. My insurance company wants to charge $231/ month for her to use our 2002 mazda protege. I nearly lost my mind. Im currently paying $51/ month for the same car... wtf?

Suggestions where i can get a second opinion for insurance. Anyone experience the same? How did you handle it? Guess i can try insurance broker.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster_777 View Post
16 year old stepdaughter got her drivers licence yesterday. My insurance company wants to charge $231/ month for her to use our 2002 mazda protege. I nearly lost my mind. Im currently paying $51/ month for the same car... wtf?

Suggestions where i can get a second opinion for insurance. Anyone experience the same? How did you handle it? Guess i can try insurance broker.
Holy crap, that's insane. My friends 19 year old kid bought a new mustang 9 months ago, it's pushing 600 HP. He's insured under his parents and I believe it's costing him $120 a month. Wouldn't hazard a guess as to what it would cost for him to insure it by himself - and I don't know which insurance company they are with.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:37 PM

I just switched insurance companies. I went with a broker. For two vehicles, house, and our RV I saved over $1,000 for the year.

I can give you his name if you want. Office is down in Midnapore.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:41 PM
AvayaAce

My cousin is a broker in Calgary, PM me if you want a name.

My advice,,,,,and I've lived through it, insure your kids with their own policy. Never put them as an add on to your policy. Kids will have accidents and you will pay through the nose.

My insurance company at the time made it soooooo easy to add my duaghter. It cost me $0.00

A few accidents later and I literally had to buy her a different car and get her own policy.

NEVER EVER NEVER do this,
Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 AM

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.
I went with http://www.desjardinsgeneralinsuranc...mpagne=E700102

saved a fortune!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:31 AM

Default Insurance

I am in the process of getting my 16 yr old daughter her own insurance right now. The easiest way to do it was "sell" her my old 97 Dodge 1/2 ton and get her own insurance. As mentioned before if she has an accident it will be only her premiums that would go up. I went through Canada Brokerlink and they have been outstanding in explaining ALL of my options. I have a son in his 20's who works as an insurance adjuster, he also provides me advice on what a lot of brokers don't tell you about your policy. As far as price goes I paid about $350/year for the basics on the truck but it is now costing me $105/ month for the same coverage on my daughter.
I feel your pain..... I have another turning 16 next year and another after that
Old 09-06-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:

You should enroll your step daughter in a defensive driving course, drivers ed or something similar, if she hasn't taken anything yet. Check with your agent, these courses reduce the insurance premiums by quite a bit.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:41 AM

I looked at the defensive driving course and its pretty close to 1 years worth of insurance... have a handful of kids who will be getting their learners and drivers licence soon. Gonna be pricey.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 AM

Stay away from Wawanesa. I use a broker saved me a bit of money, but now I hear we have an insurance company that works with all our company trucks and the have huge discounts to employees so I am going to give that a shot.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:12 AM

I found out the same thing, it was cheap to add her when she gets her license, but as I am accident free and want to stay that way, she will have her truck under her own policy. I refuse to pay huge insurance if she has an 'oopsie'.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-08-2012, 09:37 AM

Thanks everyone for the tips and referrals. After calling around for a few days we pretty much had a number of $1775/ year (+/-). So i decided to let her get her own policy with my discounts which worked out to $1550/ year.

This is just $1,000,000 liability, no collision, no comphrehensive. We told her iwhat that meant and if something happens and its her fault be prepared to deal it (of course we wouldnt leave her hanging).

So our first driver is out the door. Folks stay away from calgary SW for a few months....