Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Default Pepe Le Pew again?? Could be interesting!

Never seen so many skunks since they reflooded weed lake a few years ago. Looked at one corner of my barn building yesterday and called my son for a second opinion. Looked like something small and flat (badger, skunk) had borrowed under the concrete footing.
We decided that maybe something dug under but couldn't get den going so may have abandoned effort after digging a few feet. to test our theory we filled in the two started holes with loose dirt and gravel from the area to see if disturbed this morning. this morning we have fresh digging and a burrow again so it is an active site. 2 #2 traps shoved down hole and chained to 2 foot stakes outside. Then filled in holes again.
We wil see what happens tonight!
Old 09-07-2012, 01:34 PM

Default Pheeww..

Our Little dog got sprayed bad last week..My Daughter went out the front door and he ran out and into a Skunk! Then she Screams, the dog Freezes, then she opens the door to the House and In runs the Dog! Wind is perfect, Front door open, Windows open as it was Hot and Whammo, House smells like Skunk! My Son nearly threw up his dinner, Kicked the Dog and Daughter into the back yard..Washed him in the Peroxide/Dish soap and he seemed OK..Had to do it again the next day..Stink went out of the House after about 3 days..There are more Skunks around than I've ever seen..A friend had a Momma and 10 little ones living under his Concrete Parking Pad..They've moved on But I'm sure they've just moved over by my Place.My Wife's cousin's Pooch got nailed last night...What Kind of trap are you using?
Old 09-07-2012, 02:18 PM

Default Tom

Just those old number 2 leghold Victors. I suspect it may be a momma and little ones as well. Noticed a lot of skunk smell around yard since we caught and shot the other big one and stil a third killed on highway in front of bird pens the same week.
Going to be hard to get a live skunk out from under concrete footing and challenging to shoot in head under there so chains keep traps from going any further under building. Almost looked too flat for skunk so might be a badger. Only 5 inch high hole but 7 wide. Might know for sure tomorrow!
if it is a live badger I wil just call Dale (Ishootbambi)
Rob
Old 09-07-2012, 03:07 PM

Default lol

"if it is a live badger I wil just call Dale (Ishootbambi)" Ha! Save a bullet! Good luck with it..Keep us posted..
Old 09-07-2012, 10:44 PM

Update?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-08-2012, 12:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Update?
my cell phone is on....im unofficially on-call......
Old 09-08-2012, 01:26 PM

Default 1 trap set off

and fully extended to end of chain away from burrow under concrete footing so I think whatever got caught pulled out fo the number 2. Know this trap will hold a large skunk so suspect only a badger would have strength to pull out of a number 2. Reset, stay tuned.
Ginger venison told me not to put so much dirt and gravel on the traps Dale!
Old 09-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Gone Hunting

If it's a badger, I'd leave him alone. he'll clean out the skunks then trap the badger.
I watched a badger eat a live skunk at my place a few months ago. Very entertaining.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-08-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
If it's a badger, I'd leave him alone. he'll clean out the skunks then trap the badger.
I watched a badger eat a live skunk at my place a few months ago. Very entertaining.
Funny you should mention badger. Working near Bergen yesterday, when I heard the farm dog going nuts behind the barn. Go tearing over to see what's happening, thinking of the bear that's supposed to be in the area. Get around the corner to see the dog in a ferocious tussle with a badger. Farmer was already ahead of me with the shotgun. Probably very lucky for the dog he was around.

Grizz
Old 09-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Gone Hunting

I'll agree that's a lucky dog. I've called in a few badgers and they have never struck me as candidates for the Mr. Congeniality award. they are tougher than my ex MIL and uglier as well..

I mean really how miserable is your attitude when the best thing in your day id grabbing a live skunk by theass with your teeth.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-08-2012, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the entertaining stories of the trials & tribulations about skunks & badgers.

Trapped a skunk once at its den with a 1.5 Victor trap leg hold. Shot it in the head with a 12g because that is what I thought you did to stop them from spraying. The head was totally gone but darn thing still had enough muscle spasm to let loose with a cannon blast that went out about 5 ft. Good thing I was up wind & about 10 to 15 ft away. Maybe a shotgun blast to the head is too extreme... Thanks again.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:47 PM

Default elkhunt

I had a skunk trapped outside the pheasant pens a couple weeks ago and shot it with 223 in heart and it did not spray.
Rob