Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2012, 10:51 AM

Question Molly's Fifth Wheel Adventures-12 volt accessories?

Well, the Hublet finds sleeping in the unheated sleeping area a bit chilly...I see that there are such things as 12 volt heating blankets and 12 volt heaters. Has anyone bought any of these sort of things and if so, where? I wouldn't mind getting a blankie before our next trip out next week. I see there is one for sale in Lethbridge on Kijiji but that is a little out of our way.
I am also curious as to whether fifth wheels newer than 1987 might have furnace ducts in the nose area. Ours has two in the main living area and one in the bathroom. Right now, I go out and turn on the generator so I can run the space heater for him until he is warm enough so I can turn it off and turn on the coffee maker! What a good wifey I am!

Note: I am on the lookout for a bigger generator!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 09-07-2012, 10:53 AM

Stay with the generator or plugged in for electric heating. 12V heating will kill any and all batteries lickity-split.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:04 AM

Not sure when they started ducting into the fith wheel area, but yes, the new ones are ducted on the floor for heat, and through the ceiling for AC.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
Stay with the generator or plugged in for electric heating. 12V heating will kill any and all batteries lickity-split.
Would a 12 volt blankie use that much power? I imagine the heater would be a drain...I didn't think about that part.That is what you guys are for!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 09-07-2012, 11:47 AM

If you are gonna be boondocking (no services), then get something like this.

heater

Just make sure you leave a vent or two cracked.

The thing with most RV furnaces that kills batteries (requires gennies), is the fan on the furnace. You've got a couple choices. More batteries, more blankets or more heaters. Any of those 12v blankets/heaters are gonna drain your batteries just as bad (if not worse) as the furnace.

RV furnaces suck.. Everyone I talk to has one section of their RV that gets no heat (my brother's bunkhouse, our bedroom, dad's bathroom), for one reason of another. Frustrating.

I'm waiting til my kids are abit older to boondock, as I know they'll touch one of those heaters by accident..
Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 PM

Molly, I have a 2005 and it didn't have heat up there either, but my rv guy, Mel silver creek mobile rv, added some duct tube and a vent for less than 100 but that was around 2007... I would think it shouldn't be more than that now a days......12v blankie out hobo camping might be tough on the battery's ..
Old 09-07-2012, 10:05 PM

Oh my.... Molly you made my night with this thread!

I suppose something like a nice cozy duvet would be out of the question?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
Molly, I have a 2005 and it didn't have heat up there either, but my rv guy, Mel silver creek mobile rv, added some duct tube and a vent for less than 100 but that was around 2007... I would think it shouldn't be more than that now a days......12v blankie out hobo camping might be tough on the battery's ..

HOWEVER.......hubby was probably tryin to get brownie pts and covering for the freezing wife cuddling up with a freezing cold back....lol....gotta stick up for us hublits?...
Old 09-07-2012, 10:23 PM

Double sided silver bubble wrap under the sleeping bag does wonders. We use it on the lawnchairs around the camp fire in the fall and it sure reflects the heat.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:32 AM

Talking

Quote:
Thanks, bubba, I will check into that option!
Quote:
Originally Posted by doetracks View Post
Oh my.... Molly you made my night with this thread!

I suppose something like a nice cozy duvet would be out of the question?
We already have flannel sheets, a heavy blanket, a duvet and hublet has a sleeping bag on top of that. As I am a 50-something gal, that means I don't need many bedcovers!!
Quote:
HOWEVER.......hubby was probably tryin to get brownie pts and covering for the freezing wife cuddling up with a freezing cold back....lol....gotta stick up for us hublits?...
See above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky the bear View Post
Double sided silver bubble wrap under the sleeping bag does wonders. We use it on the lawnchairs around the camp fire in the fall and it sure reflects the heat.
Hmmm. Interesting idea! We have a memory foam topper on the crappy mattress that came with the trailer which actually is not bad once you get it warmed up...oops!

Old 09-08-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
I am also curious as to whether fifth wheels newer than 1987 might have furnace ducts in the nose area.
Toy haulers do. I've owned two of them. I expect ordinary 5'ers would, too. We also have heating in the garage, btw. And underbelly storage.

Sounds to me like you need to move the heated air that's already in your trailer. Other than the additional ducting idea (which sounds good to me), maybe you could rig up a small fan to blow warm air upstairs. You'd have to leave the door open, though....
Old 09-08-2012, 09:13 AM

My 97 fifth wheel has duct in the nose section. Only problem is last weekend furnace would not light for some reason. Oh well, end of season, worry about it next spring when I get it back out.

Rocky7 has a good suggestion, little 12 volt fan to circulate the heat may help lots. Worth a shot.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Gone Hunting

There's lots of ways to generate heat without electricity.

"We already have flannel sheets, a heavy blanket, a duvet and hublet has a sleeping bag on top of that. As I am a 50-something gal, that means I don't need many bedcovers!"

you could just schedule one of your pyro events to coincide with bedtime. Climb in and warm the bed up for Hublet.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-08-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

you could just schedule one of your pyro events to coincide with bedtime. Climb in and warm the bed up for Hublet.
If only things were that easy! Might pick up a 12 v. fan somewhere...
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!

Old 09-08-2012, 04:55 PM

Default You know

With all the problems you have had with that 5th wheel, the hitch etc you could have stayed in a luxury motel for every trip.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:30 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
With all the problems you have had with that 5th wheel, the hitch etc you could have stayed in a luxury motel for every trip.
Yes, but think of all the adventures we would have missed!
Wait till next week when we come back from our fourth outing!! On a more positive note, we are picking up a new genny at Costco tomorrrow...yay!! I can run the heater and the coffeemaker at once!!