Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2012, 09:28 AM

Default Working on offshore rigs

Anyone ever worked offshore, in Canada or anywhere else. Did you like it or not?

After spending almost a month back on the rock this summer, I realize how much I miss it back there, and the only job that pays anything is off shore. And how do you go about getting a job out there.

Maybe I'm just home sick lol.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:30 PM

Good luck on trying to get offshore in NFL, being a resident there will help as there is a certain amount of residents they hire. You will most likely need a ton of experience to get on the rig unless you go for catering staff (not sure if Sedexo runs there catering/housekeeping staff). Offshore has its ups and downs. You are essentially stuck out there and if need off in a hurry can be really difficult and weather becomes a factor. The nice side is once you get a crew together they pretty much stay there, you work a rotation. I have been working offshore for the past 7-8 years and now am getting super tired of the travelling and being stuck on the rig, compare it to a camp job but with a camp job you have the capability of getting away once and a while even if just for a drive. If you need to build up experience then I would start looking international as they go on hiring sprees and if you have 5yrs +/- experience you have a shot at getting on. Good luck with your venture.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:19 PM

Default Offshore

I did venture into the sea life out of high school. I was going to the marine institute for a Nautical Science program that would have took me four years to complete and an officers job on a crude oil tanker, supply ship, cruise liner, etc....Made it till halfway through year three. Year three was a work term. 12 months on the see in 15 months. After 6 months of being stuck on the ocean with minimal shore leave, maybe a day or two I realized life on the sea wasn't for me. If you are considering a career at sea I would advise you take either the bridge watchmen course or Marine Diesel mechanic course from the marine institute. Bridge watch is a deckhand, general laborer/maintenance man of top portion of the ship and diesel mechanic keeps everything below the deck running and shined. Crude oil Tankers (Canship), work a 5 week on and 5 week off for summer and 6 week on and 6 week off in the winter, Supply ships such as Mearsk and Atlantic Towing work 2 weeks and 2 weeks. Both these courses are short, I believe they may be 3 or 4 months long and then the marine institute will place you on a workterm for a month. The work term will get your foot in the door and you could work your way up to the top from there. Very easy to get hired on and the pay is pretty decent for living on the rock, Just hard to be way at sea for so long when you are trying to start a family. After I get more established and put a little money away up here in Alberta i may consider an off shore gig down home. I miss it too. Never got home this year.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:03 AM

I have worked offshore in 2 countries on Jackups and platforms. Longest time was almost 40 days on an Indian Jackup with no phone ,internet or TV.
I could take it or leave it but it doesn't bother me as much as some guys.

As for offshore NL well you best have a note from God or be real good sucking someone's ----. BST is gonna cost a couple of grand. With no offshore exp you are limited in options. Swaco has hired guys with Journeyman mechanic papers to run centrifuge and shakers. I have talked to quite a few who work offshore NL and the pay isn't that great compared to what you would get for the same job elsewhere ie: 30g more a year to work in Brazil for an A/D and i know the Swaco guys day rate isn't that high either.
Working 21/21 would be alright but if your fogged in for 14 days offshore your only getting home for 7. Then take shutdowns etc and your sitting home.

I would suggest either getting hired on with a company in Alberta that is working in NL and then gain the experience and ask for a transfer , or get company in Alberta that will allow you to work a rotation - it's not only FT.Mac that does it. There is a Frac company in Sask that works you something around 21/21 and is a camp job with flights etc.