Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Interesting... Could also be a pixel going dead on their projector...

Something is very strange about this all.
I doubt it, you can hear the pop.

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 09-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
I have to ask. Did you ever take Economics 101??
If you think i'm wrong, tell me why...? I have no problem being educated by someone else.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2275947057/
Someone just missed her, watch the bullet hole appear on the screen to her right at about the three second mark. Can hear a faint gun shot.
Holy chit, that's not a dead pixel. Her head covers the hole.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Yup.

Someone came real close.

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 09-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino81 View Post
thats a good start.
Well....not really but that would become necessary if they did in fact separate.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you think i'm wrong, tell me why...? I have no problem being educated by someone else.
What point were you trying to make again?

And did you take Econ 101?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm... Now that's pretty freaky. If that's from a bullet, I wonder what we aren't being told?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Actually. BC demanded the completion of a continental railroad as a condition of confederation. There were other interests for it too, but helping ABwasn't at the top of the list, main evidence being that the railroad, as you know was completed 20 years BEFORE AB became a province.
Ok.
Whats your point?
Are you saying the CNR was built just to please BC?

Alberta the place....benefited and still does whether they were a province already or not. That track was laid to link east and west to aid settlement and commerce.

I'm not saying that it didn't aid the east as well but without that RR Alberta ever becoming a province was in serious doubt.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Let me put this into pure and simple economics 101.

You have a job - you pay federal and provincial income taxes.
You buy a vehicle - you pay taxes on it.
You buy gas - you pay taxes on that fuel.
you buy cigarettes or booze - you pay taxes on that.
You buy anything in the stores - you pay GST.
There's hundreds of other things that are taxed, but you get the picture.
The higher the population, the more people to buy things, the more taxes go into the kitty.

Now, what happens to all those taxes you ask? They go into the federal governments bank account and they are called general revenues.

Make sense yet?

Now, out of that money, the federal government starts paying back to the provinces. Equalization payments come out of the general revenue. So do transfer payments for health care, infrastructure revenues, whatever. Etc, etc, etc.

That's simple economics.

Somebody that doesn't understand the concept of an investment should not be educating everybody about "simple economics". Tell me, with your above statement why does AB receive less federal subsidies per hospital bed than every other province? Its a simple formula according to you so why do we get less out of the simple equation. If anything our hospital beds should be subsidized higher than all other provinces to make up for the higher cost of living and subsequent higher wages and services. Or is it that the 3.8 million residents of Alberta are asked to carry the 8.1 million residents of Quebec? Why does the federal government not spend more money in Alberta for infrastructure if it has (in the recent past) been the largest growing economy and province in Canada? Why does Hwy 63 not get twinned out of general revenue taxes since it is the lifeblood of many provinces. Also, how many millions of dollars that are contributed to other provinces general revenue taxes actually came from Alberta? Maybe Alberta should charge a 10% tax on out of province employees to gain a lot of dollars that skew results for people like yourself that try to defend an eastern leach. We have to provide all the provincial services to these "guests" when they work here then they take their pay cheques and fly home to the east where they pay general revenue taxes. Now, why don't we surcharge all of these drains on our provincial services?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Gone Hunting

^^^ I just KNEW this was going to happen....somebody would mess this thing up with some FACTS!!!!......
Old 09-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Ok.
Whats your point?
Are you saying the CNR was built just to please BC?

Alberta the place....benefited and still does whether they were a province already or not. That track was laid to link east and west to aid settlement and commerce.

I'm not saying that it didn't aid the east as well but without that RR Alberta ever becoming a province was in serious doubt.
Actually the two main reasons for completing the transcontinental in Canada were to secure BC's joining in confederation and to provide a claim to Canada for all the lands sea to sea so to speak. Alberta commerce at the time was pretty much non-existent, whether it was a province at the time or not. As you can well imagine, Ottawa had a great interest in securing all these lands and preventing any occupation of these lands by the US.

Between 1881 and 1885, the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) completed a line that spanned from the port of Montreal to the Pacific coast, fulfilling a condition of British Columbia's 1871 entry into the Canadian Confederation.

The construction of a transcontinental railroad had the effect of establishing a Canadian claim to the remaining parts of British North America not yet constituted as provinces and territories of Canada, acting as a bulwark against potential incursions by the United States.
fr http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcontinental_railroad

In return for entering Confederation, Canada absorbed B.C.'s massive debt, and promised to build a railway from Montreal to the Pacific coast within 10 years. In fulfillment of this promise, the last spike of the Canadian Pacific Railway was driven in Craigellachie in 1885.
fr http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...itish_Columbia

Last edited by rugatika; 09-05-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
It's called taxes! Everybody pays them - all the taxes collected from all across the country go into a general revenue pool. That's where equalization and transfer payments come from.

Got a problem paying taxes, take it up with the government.

I can't believe how many Albertans think they cut a check to Quebec and the other have-nots ever year. That's not the way it works.
Oh come on Silverdoctor. That's exactly how it works. You are being purposely disingenious. I know you aren't stupid. Everyone across Canada pays taxes, then the money is given to particular provinces... in the case of Quebec, every single year since equalization was established in the 1950's. It's as if you and nine other friends throw $100 each into a pot, then five of them divide up the pot between themselves. You don't get any. I'd say that's us cutting them a cheque every year. The Federal Government is just the middle-man.

Last edited by Okotokian; 09-05-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm... Now that's pretty freaky. If that's from a bullet, I wonder what we aren't being told?
Finally able to watch the video, something wierd is definitely going on and I ain't wearing no tinfoil.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Somebody that doesn't understand the concept of an investment should not be educating everybody about "simple economics". Tell me, with your above statement why does AB receive less federal subsidies per hospital bed than every other province? Its a simple formula according to you so why do we get less out of the simple equation. If anything our hospital beds should be subsidized higher than all other provinces to make up for the higher cost of living and subsequent higher wages and services. Or is it that the 3.8 million residents of Alberta are asked to carry the 8.1 million residents of Quebec? Why does the federal government not spend more money in Alberta for infrastructure if it has (in the recent past) been the largest growing economy and province in Canada? Why does Hwy 63 not get twinned out of general revenue taxes since it is the lifeblood of many provinces. Also, how many millions of dollars that are contributed to other provinces general revenue taxes actually came from Alberta? Maybe Alberta should charge a 10% tax on out of province employees to gain a lot of dollars that skew results for people like yourself that try to defend an eastern leach. We have to provide all the provincial services to these "guests" when they work here then they take their pay cheques and fly home to the east where they pay general revenue taxes. Now, why don't we surcharge all of these drains on our provincial services?
Alberta gets $5 billion in transfer this year for Health care.

You ever hear of the gas tax fund? And where do you get the idea that your cost of living is higher than anywhere else in Canada?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Alberta gets $5 billion in transfer this year for Health care.

You ever hear of the gas tax fund? And where do you get the idea that your cost of living is higher than anywhere else in Canada?
for Heavens sake SD, do some actual research before you post nonsense please.....
Old 09-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
for Heavens sake SD, do some actual research before you post nonsense please.....
Do you think i'm pulling these number out of my arse?

Go look for yourself - stats canada, Government of Alberta, Government of Canada. Do some research and reading. Open your mind.

Alberta gets monies from the feds for Education as well.

In 2005, the feds made an agreement with the provinces so that a portion of fuel taxes collected can be used for infrastructure. Look it up, read.

poor Albertans, so hard done by...
Old 09-05-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah, no kidding.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do you think i'm pulling these number out of my arse?

Go look for yourself - stats canada, Government of Alberta, Government of Canada. Do some research and reading. Open your mind.

Alberta gets monies from the feds for Education as well.

In 2005, the feds made an agreement with the provinces so that a portion of fuel taxes collected can be used for infrastructure. Look it up, read.

Bless your heart.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Not so hard done by. But we pull our weight. Something Cuebec has long forgot about after years and years of handouts. And they want more.

Nice try though.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 09-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
And here you go... $150,000,000 from the feds toward the project to twin the hiway to ft mac.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/programs/sur...thern_Alberta_

Read people... It's all there in black and white.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Not so hard done by. But we pull our weight. Something Cuebec has long forgot about after years and years of handouts. And they want more.

Nice try though.
The point being is that many don't believe Alberta gets anything from the Government of Canada - the fact is, there's alot of money given to Alberta "from the east"
Old 09-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
And here you go... $150,000,000 from the feds toward the project to twin the hiway to ft mac.

Read people... It's all there in black and white.
LOL!!!!....they will send that from the East Coast oil "Royalties" ...right.....after all , that's where the term was coined?,,right???....hahahahahahaha
Old 09-05-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, but how much of that was taken from Alberta first. Basically all they are doing is giving us some of our money back. Gee thanks, Ottawa!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
LOL!!!!....they will send that from the East Coast oil "Royalties" ...right.....after all , that's where the term was coined?,,right???....hahahahahahaha
Where do YOU think it comes from? It's not from east coast royalties.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagalaz View Post
Yes, but how much of that was taken from Alberta first. Basically all they are doing is giving us some of our money back. Gee thanks, Ottawa!
Give me some black and white figures on what was "taken" from Alberta. Throw some reality out there, not just what you "think".
Old 09-05-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Where do YOU think it comes from? It's not from east coast royalties.
No its money collected in Alberta, sent to Ottawa, then gave back to Alberta. hehehehehe

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 09-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
No its money collected in Alberta, sent to Ottawa, then gave back to Alberta. hehehehehe
There you go! thumbs up! That's the way it works
Old 09-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Give me some black and white figures on what was "taken" from Alberta. Throw some reality out there, not just what you "think".
okay, since you obviously flunked Economics 101, here is the readers digest version...just for arguments sake
10 provinces
2 largest provinces pay , say 10cents per capita into the general revenue fund you keep spouting off about
a few of the less well off provinces pay 2-3 cents per capita
the rest of the 2-3 that remain pay 2-3$ per capita
Now it comes time to divide it up
due to their small population base , some provinces get back 12-15cents for what they put in after paying 3 cents or so---fair enough
the larger population bases get back $3-4$ per capita after paying in 10 cents
the provinces that put in the lion's share, get back 2-3 cents of their input of 2-3 dollars....don't know why anyone would see that as a black hole???...do you?????
Old 09-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
okay, since you obviously flunked Economics 101, here is the readers digest version...just for arguments sake
10 provinces
2 largest provinces pay , say 10cents per capita into the general revenue fund you keep spouting off about
a few of the less well off provinces pay 2-3 cents per capita
the rest of the 2-3 that remain pay 2-3$ per capita
Now it comes time to divide it up
due to their small population base , some provinces get back 12-15cents for what they put in after paying 3 cents or so---fair enough
the larger population bases get back $3-4$ per capita after paying in 10 cents
the provinces that put in the lion's share, get back 2-3 cents of their input of 2-3 dollars....don't know why anyone would see that as a black hole???...do you????? numbers totally grabbed at random....but I think it makes a point
Old 09-05-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
There you go! thumbs up! That's the way it works
Then the other $2 billion Alberta puts in goes to Cuebec. They been sucking hard since 1957. Dang even the Newfies are giving money to Cuebec, now thats ironic. hehehe

Time for Cuebec to step up, but then again the rest of Canada will support them.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com