Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2012, 10:33 PM

Default Eavestrough sealing

My eavestrough leaks right above my side walk and makes it very dangerous in the winter. The leak is right in a corner joint.

I am interested to know, is there special sealing product to use to seal the joints or is silicone good enough?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-08-2012, 10:45 PM

Default silicone

I used silicone in one corner of my troughs. It worked. I should've done all other corners of my troughs cuz most of them started leaking too.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:54 PM

I was about to do that too, but the other day I was walking through the mall and came across the " As seen on TV" store, I saw a can of this stuff I saw on a commercial that this guy sprayed a screen door and put it on a bottom of a row boat, Its supposed to be liquid rubber. Unfortunately its $20 a can. Ive heard that silicone won't stand up for long, just hoping there is a roofer on here that can point me in the right direction.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Banned

Honestly,,, bubbalicious bubblegum is stunning.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:02 PM

ya its stunning for chewing but horrible for sealing
Old 09-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukrain View Post
ya its stunning for chewing but horrible for sealing
Seriously,,, had an annoying corner trough that wouldnt stop leaking, so I just chewed bubble gum and worked it into the trouble spot like a putty,,, mind you it doesnt get to minus 30 in vansewer, but it worked, and they were old gutters too.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:12 PM

Gutter seal. Home depot, comes in a 'silicone tube'. Roofing tar works good as well.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:53 PM

Although I'm uncertain what product to use. I promised myself tomorrow I would do something work around the house. I was going to get on the roof and clean the second level windows. And I too have a few leaky eves so may as well do that too.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:34 AM

Silicone is what I use.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:51 AM

I use a product that I got in B.C called Through the Roof it can be applied on wet material and last 100 time longer than silicone
Old 09-09-2012, 07:44 AM

Rc-2200.
Or
Sikaflex. Comes in caulking tubes at the hardware store. Stays flexible.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:48 AM

The fat guy on TV with the screen door bottomed boat says use "flex seal"

Only $19.99 plus S&H, but wait if you order right now we'll double the order, just pay the extra shipping and handling.

LOL.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:11 AM

I use gutter seal as well, just make sure you clean the corner befor you seal it.
If it won't stop leaking shot me a pm .gutters and any kind of metal is what I do for living. I have a product here at home that works all the time
Old 09-09-2012, 08:30 AM

I've been to a roofing/siding supplier called RoofMart and they have some pretty sweet polyurethane caulkings designed just for eavestroughs. The stuff has absolutely tenacious adhesion and remains very flexible yet strong. It even comes in a myriad of colors in case you have something besides white eavestroughs. I think it was under the brand name "Supra".
Old 09-09-2012, 09:09 AM

Go to homedepot and get a small can of roofing tar or glue. Can get it in a pint container. Don't use silicon. Won't last long.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I've been to a roofing/siding supplier called RoofMart and they have some pretty sweet polyurethane caulkings designed just for eavestroughs. The stuff has absolutely tenacious adhesion and remains very flexible yet strong. It even comes in a myriad of colors in case you have something besides white eavestroughs. I think it was under the brand name "Supra".
Yup, Supra is good stuff...I use it pretty regularly while siding houses. I've never seen it used on trough, but that doesn't mean it won't work. Should be able to get it at any of the exterior suppliers in Edmonton (Monarch, Mitten, Roofmart, Boncor, Convoy...and a couple others that you'd probably prefer not to deal with...) but I'm not sure if any of the big box hardware stores would carry it or not.

The troughers I know usually just use Gutter Seal, which you should be able to get at any hardware store, as well as any of the other suppliers I mentioned.

Don't use 'roofing tar' or BlackJack as another user suggested...it'll probably seal your leak, but it'll also make a heck of a mess.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-09-2012, 09:31 AM

I've used a clear product called "through the Roof" on metal roofs. Should be ideal for this application. Just brush it on and it forms a flexible, waterproof coating. About 20. / L. Lot more lee way than with a caulked seam.

Grizz
Old 09-09-2012, 10:28 AM

Default Leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukrain View Post
I was about to do that too, but the other day I was walking through the mall and came across the " As seen on TV" store, I saw a can of this stuff I saw on a commercial that this guy sprayed a screen door and put it on a bottom of a row boat, Its supposed to be liquid rubber. Unfortunately its $20 a can. Ive heard that silicone won't stand up for long, just hoping there is a roofer on here that can point me in the right direction.
Go to Walmart or crappy tire and buy spray on undercoating. 3$ a can and seal like a darn. I used it on my camper roof this summer and it works awesome. Every camper should have a can along for emergency repairs.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:01 PM

Never ever use silicone where you might need to re seal at a later date.
Nothing will ever stick there again including itself, and imo its trash.

Lexel sealant is amazing stuff and has none of the pitfalls of silicone. It is very flexible and exceptionally transparent, and after sealing a joint you wont even know its there (if its something where looks matter.)
Old 07-22-2015, 07:54 AM

Butyl caulking is what we use, it's cheap, non skinning and stays flexible. It just can make a mess if you're not careful but that's all caulking.

Keep in mind you want to seal the interior of your gutter, I wouldn't bother with the exterior as dust and dirt will stick to it as it cures and it'll look like crap.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:17 PM

Lexel for sure. Clear and not too expensive. Caulking gun tubes are $7-8 I think. Lasts a long time and much better than silicone.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:22 PM

Lexel takes 72hrs to cure...
There is a product called SolarSeal works great and lasts a long time.
http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.c...mal/SS900.html
Old 07-25-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K44 View Post
I use a product that I got in B.C called Through the Roof it can be applied on wet material and last 100 time longer than silicone
Good stuff, clear, goes on with a paint brush and Home Hardware sells it.

Grizz