Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-27-2016, 03:22 PM

Default South Lakes - Access for Mobility Impaired?

Just wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions for southern Alberta trout lakes that have easy access for someone with limited mobility?

My elderly father wants me to take him fishing, he's a bait fisherman and I like fly fishing from my float tube. I fish Police, Beaver Mines, and Beauvais Lakes fairly regularly. By this time of year, it's hard to fish from shore because of the weeds. He's recently been diagnosed with cancer, and has bad knees and hips, and this trip out would be good for him. He can't walk far, or stand for long though, unfortunately.

Are there any other lakes that I'm overlooking that might offer OK fishing from shore with bait (I'm aware of the regulations at Police)? I'm thinking the best spot is still probably Beaver Mines, but I'm hoping for a few more ideas. I've never really fished Lee, and haven't been to Allison (Chinook) Lake for years.

I should add that he's in Lethbridge, so we're looking in that area and west.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:21 PM

I'd look for any lake with a dock near a boat launch. I know at Pine Coulie I've seen people sitting on the dock in lawn chairs. There must be other lakes even closer to Leth with docks.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:09 PM

Beauvais may be better on the west side, path runs right along the lake with easy access. Stopped by yesterday to kill a couple hours after fishing the Castle all day, everyone was catching but they are still small.
You're familiar with Beaver Mines, so if he's ok to get to the shore then go there. Chinook maybe tough from shore for him, it's a steep bank on one side and he'd have to hike a bit to a more suitable shore on the opposite side of the lake. They do stock bigger fish at Chinook though, fish at Lee are pretty tiny but you can fish from shore close to the parking lot.
Around Lethbridge, a trout pond you could try is Keenex by Picture Butte. Then there is also Payne and Butcher by Waterton.
Cheers!
Old 06-27-2016, 08:34 PM

Default Correction

McVinnie is by Picture Butte, not Keenex.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:47 PM

Mt Lorette in Kanaskis is set up for access. dont know if its fished out yet but you will be able to get a wheelchair around the lake. last time I was there at least, dont know if the floods did any damage there

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-28-2016, 07:11 AM

Lee lake just south of the weigh station off the #3 has amazing trout action on the fly. Best part of he's in a belly boat he will have no access issues right from the boat launch. If no belly boat, he can walk the shoreline a bit and set up just about anywhere. Good luck!