Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-27-2016, 02:06 PM

Default NSR in Banff Park

Hey All,

Anyone ever spend any time fishing the NSR in the Banff National Park? I'm looking at camping somewhere between Jasper and Banff next weekend and hvaen't fished much along that stretch. Curious to hear what others have found.

Also considering staying closer to Jasper and fishing the lakes around there or off the parkway at Saskatchewan Crossing and fishing Abraham (would be another first).

All thoughts welcome!!
Old 06-27-2016, 06:47 PM

Fishing just below Bighorn Dam at the start of the NSR, Cuts, Rainbows, Rocky Mountain Whitefish. Best in fall. Also Cline River near the lake,you can park off the Hwy. East side of river walk north. Trail takes you to a narrow Canyon, about 1.5 km. Fish off the rocks in the eddies coming out of the Canyon as it makes the turn downstream. If their biting, It's every cast!

PS, It's in David Thompson country, just east of Icefields Parkway so not in the National Park.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the input!

Most likely I'll only have one day to devote to fishing, so I've been trying to decide if I want to fish where the Cline enters (or take your advice and follow the river up a bit), or drive down to the dam and fish at the bottom. Very helpful input.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:54 PM
Banned

The NSR above the dam and into the Park is probably silty right now, as could be the case with the Cline. In the Park of course you would need a Parks fishing licence. Not sure if it is open but check the regs first. Some of the Parks openings and closings vary greatly.

You will probably do better below the dam but watch for fluctuations in the water level with the operation of the dam.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:34 PM

The little pond across the highway from the Icefields Centre at the Columbia Icefield is full of little brook trout. Mind you don't hook a tour bus on your back-cast though! Very colourful little guys - but a monster might make 12 inches.

You can fish Horseshoe Lake from the shore too. Right beside the hiway, closer to Jasper. The bank abutting the highway is a good spot, and from there you can watch the local cliff-divers do painful bellyflops!
Old 06-29-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
The little pond across the highway from the Icefields Centre at the Columbia Icefield is full of little brook trout. Mind you don't hook a tour bus on your back-cast though! Very colourful little guys - but a monster might make 12 inches.

You can fish Horseshoe Lake from the shore too. Right beside the hiway, closer to Jasper. The bank abutting the highway is a good spot, and from there you can watch the local cliff-divers do painful bellyflops!
Have you seen any bows in there in the last couple years ?
Old 06-29-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
Have you seen any bows in there in the last couple years ?
Nope never (in over 25 years of fishing it) - no Bulls or Cutties either. Just Brookies.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the suggestions!

We are yet to finalize where we're going to be, but at least I have options now. I'll report back and let you know how I did (assuming I make it out!).

Thanks again.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Nope never (in over 25 years of fishing it) - no Bulls or Cutties either. Just Brookies.
You have seen Brookies in Horseshoe lake ?
Old 06-29-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
You have seen Brookies in Horseshoe lake ?
I think he was referring to the pond across the highway from the Icefield. But, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:19 PM

That high of altitude and cold water would make the metabolism very slow, thus growing slow and requiring very little food.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I'd heard that from one of the tour guides. But had dismissed it as he didn't fish himself.

Kindof surprised they can survive at that altitude / conditions and given the lack of insects up there. Where they stocked there at some point? What are they eating?
They are in that pond
Old 07-04-2016, 10:50 AM

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I ended up staying a lot closer to Jasper, so fished Talbot Friday and Maligne Saturday. A few decent pike Friday and my first brookies on Saturday. Most were small, about 12-14", but caught one 16" fatty.

Thanks again.