Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-27-2016, 12:48 AM

Default Summer Ice Shack Project

Been thinking about building an ice shack for a few years now and finally decided to build one and only one. I find myself with a lot of time on my hands with a bit of extra cash in my pocket since I quit drinking last June 24th so I have decided to make a 10'Wx16'Lx10'H but the skid frame is 18' long.i made the skid so that I could winch it onto my trailer. I must add that I am NOT a carpenter or metal fabricator but more of an average builder! LOL, My goal is to take it to slave lake and spend a min of 3 days and nights every trip with friends and family. I made the skid/base out of 4" channel and 2" square tubing with 3/4" runner (5 days of labor), the bottom layer of the floor is 3/4 "treated plywood, insulation, 6 framed ice fishing holes treated 2x4 with catch cover lids, top layer of the floor is 1/2" treated plywood. I fastened the floor to the channel counter sunk into the floor with 7/16 bolts x 9, I just finished this tonight and now onto framing the walls (door and 24x24 window).Here is a list of my other tasks yet to complete,
-12volt supply inverted to 120 with 120 charging from generator to the 2 batteries when system gets low (don't want to hear constant generator noise)
-wood stove
-sleeping quarters for 4 people (L shaped bunks)
-cooking/dining station
-gator matting for the finishing of the floor
-3 swivel boat seats with pedestals
-TV for satellite or for fish camera
-metal siding and roofing
after seeing this written down I have to laugh!! I still have a lot of work to do!!
I cannot seem to post my pics taken so far but will try through the app and will update as I have progressed in the project.
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.

Last edited by cschache; 06-27-2016 at 01:09 AM. Reason: wrong section, should be in fishing discussion instead
Old 06-27-2016, 12:56 AM

Here are a few pics so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2016, 08:10 AM

Looks great...best skid I have ever seen...think about weight when building the walls and roof...it is easy to get pretty heavy...good luck!
Old 06-27-2016, 11:32 AM

That's a solid floor!

The holes in the corners look really close to the walls, will you have room for the auger handles?
Old 06-27-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
That's a solid floor!

The holes in the corners look really close to the walls, will you have room for the auger handles?
Yup ! ... What he said ! It looks awfully close to where the walls will be. Better to check now and fix it if required.

Btw....you'll love having a shack ! I built one last year and used it this past winter and it was awesome. Little wood stove and it was too warm at times.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
That's a solid floor!

OH G'S good eye!! I never even took that into consideration! thinking too far ahead, I just went and measured the auger shaft to outside of handle and its 10.5" and measured from center of the 12" hole to where the walls will be is 11 1/4", the auger I have is an 8" and the catch covers are 12", will definitely have to check once the walls are up incase of adjustments,no doubt its going to be tight but I think it will work out!
Old 06-27-2016, 07:55 PM

Sounds awesome! You will love having your own ice shack. I built one with a friend last fall and we loved it. One thing you might want to look into (unless you live in slave) it the width. I'm pretty sure that 8'6" is the max width you can have for dragging down the hi-ways.

Something that we did in our shack instead of wood heat we used a propane furnace, set it and forget it. Our unit has a decent recovery time and after 7 straight days going only used about 40lbs of propane. We also added a full kitchen in ours. Sink, stove and oven (which we used several times in that same propane usage). Add to that a way to create yourself a portable outdoor waste closet. We made ours so that it is collapsible and just hangs off the wall outside. Saves driving into town to find a bathroom.

Last edited by Shekka; 06-27-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .270fan View Post
Yup ! ... What he said ! It looks awfully close to where the walls will be. Better to check now and fix it if required.

Btw....you'll love having a shack ! I built one last year and used it this past winter and it was awesome. Little wood stove and it was too warm at times.
I am pretty excited to stay and fish in it this winter, I usually rent shacks at upwards $200 a night it adds up and in most rental shacks the seating isn't very comfortable so this way I only have myself to whine and complain to!! LOL!
Old 06-27-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekka View Post
Sounds awesome! You will love having your own ice shack. I built one with a friend last fall and we loved it. One thing you might want to look into (unless you live in slave) it the width. I'm pretty sure that 8'6" is the max width you can have.

Something that we did in our shack instead of wood heat we used a propane furnace, set it and forget it. Our unit has a decent recovery time and after 7 straight days going only used about 40lbs of propane. We also added a full kitchen in ours. Sink, stove and oven (which we used several times in that same propane usage). Add to that a way to create yourself a portable outdoor waste closet. We made ours so that it is collapsible and just hangs off the wall outside. Saves driving into town to find a bathroom.

I have looked into transport regulations and anything over 8'7" flags by day and warning lights at night, over 10' same as above with 2 dimensional signage, as far as a bathroom I have not quite decided what the best portable option is, I kind of like your idea of it folding up to the wall of the shack, something that is simple and functionable I think but haven't really thought to hard on it yet.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschache View Post
I have looked into transport regulations and anything over 8'7" flags by day and warning lights at night, over 10' same as above with 2 dimensional signage, as far as a bathroom I have not quite decided what the best portable option is, I kind of like your idea of it folding up to the wall of the shack, something that is simple and functionable I think but haven't really thought to hard on it yet.

If flags or lights is all that you need then awesome! Your shack will be a good one! Take your time inside after the walls are up. I bet we spent hours sitting inside it empty looking around and playing with different options. We only wanted to build one once as well. Layout is the key. Which is why we moved the bathroom outside. Gave us more room inside for other stuff (including a nice location for the tv and sat equip).

Can't wait to see more pics!!
Old 06-29-2016, 07:01 PM

Looks good. Ever think about a couple 140 watt solar panels and a regulator to charge the batteries? Panels are considerably quieter than a generator and use a lot less fuel.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_80 View Post
Looks good. Ever think about a couple 140 watt solar panels and a regulator to charge the batteries? Panels are considerably quieter than a generator and use a lot less fuel.

I actually had been kicking around the idea of the solar thing and I am not ruling it out yet and I will probably put provisions in for a possible later date solar connection, I have calculated the watts that will be used and the total CA of the 2 deep cycle batteries and if my calculation is right I should easily be able to get 56 hrs of continuous usage before having to start the generator for a charge which I don't think that I would have all appliances on for that duration so I shouldn't have a problem but things don't always work out the way I calculate!! LOL
Old 06-29-2016, 08:31 PM

You got some skill .... nice work!

Old 06-29-2016, 08:39 PM

Why would u ever quit drinking....lol......i built a shack and drink!!!
Old 06-29-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
Why would u ever quit drinking....lol......i built a shack and drink!!!
Happy .... that shack of yours was vacant more than occupied last year .... I'm sure we'll see you back on Gull this ice season.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:26 PM

here are a couple more pics, finally had a couple days off to frame the walls, i ran into a measurement error but nothing an extra stud wont fix! Haha!

Old 07-09-2016, 12:49 PM

You guys don't mess around with your fishing shacks out here. Very nice
Old 08-14-2016, 12:09 AM

any updates?? lets see this thing
Old 08-15-2016, 09:44 PM

progress has been slow but steady between work and rain but heres where i am as of tonight,walls and wiring completed,inside roof tomorrow then bunks etc,

Old 08-15-2016, 11:07 PM

Nice shack you got going on,
Old 08-23-2016, 09:23 PM

update: had some time to get working on the bunks and cooking table and battery box, i can see the light at the end of the tunnel! haha!

Old 08-25-2016, 03:57 PM

What's the best way to do skids for a 6 by 10 shack ? Should I run skids parallel with the joists ? Or run joists 6 feet across and cross the skids ? Just using 2 x 4 for the base to keep it low
Old 08-25-2016, 04:00 PM

should mount that on pontoons for the summer, Id love to have a floating shack you could fish through

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-25-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
What's the best way to do skids for a 6 by 10 shack ? Should I run skids parallel with the joists ? Or run joists 6 feet across and cross the skids ? Just using 2 x 4 for the base to keep it low
Should run the floor joists across the skid and make sure you have some space between the bottom of the skids and the bottom of the floor so you do not push snow. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
update: had some time to get working on the bunks and cooking table and battery box, i can see the light at the end of the tunnel! haha!

Tooo fancy!
Old 08-25-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
This one that I am building is 11 inches from the bottom of the skid to the bottom of the floor, reason for this is that I made it like this so that I could winch it up on my trailer and clear the wheel wells, by the time covered and insulated the floor im about 14 inches to ice surface, you definetely want to have some clearance so your not getting hung up when your pulling it as the previous poster mentioned, I precut my fishing holes for 12" which was a good idea at the time but had trouble finding hole sleeves locally that would fit, so I would suggest to use the dimensions of a pail to use as a guide for your holes and also use as the sleeves (way more cost effective). as far as building your base if you are only 6 feet wide you can get away with using 2 runners, any wider and I would use 3, as I previously stated I am NOT a carpenter and had a basic plan with google as my guide, I went with building with a 4" channel base just for the strength due to the 2x4 walls, insulation and sheathing inside and out plus the interior bunks etc,
Old 08-25-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
should mount that on pontoons for the summer, Id love to have a floating shack you could fish through
Haha! im afraid there is not enough barrels and spray foam material in my area to achieve floatation! Lol
Old 08-25-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky hunter View Post
Tooo fancy!
Thanks! it has taken up just about all my free time since the end of May, Google has been my guide along with measure once and cut twice then swear a bit! Way over budget not to mention I can't get my argo out yet for sept 17 opening, I have basically worked myself into a corner until I am finished, a couple more weeks and I should be done then transport it to slave which should be an interesting several hour adventure in itself.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:01 AM

Very nice. cant wait to see the finished product.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
OH G'S good eye!! I never even took that into consideration! thinking too far ahead, I just went and measured the auger shaft to outside of handle and its 10.5" and measured from center of the 12" hole to where the walls will be is 11 1/4", the auger I have is an 8" and the catch covers are 12", will definitely have to check once the walls are up incase of adjustments,no doubt its going to be tight but I think it will work out!
If it is easier than a total redo of your floor, just convert an 18 volt drill to turn your auger. Kits are cheap. No fumes inside.