Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-27-2016, 04:30 PM

Default Cow Lake by Rockymountain House

Never been before and was planning a trip up there while I am in Sundre later this week. I have been reading some threads from years past about the lake but can't find anything recent. Has anyone been up there recently? Not looking for hot spots, just how the fishing is in general. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdude17 View Post
Never been before and was planning a trip up there while I am in Sundre later this week. I have been reading some threads from years past about the lake but can't find anything recent. Has anyone been up there recently? Not looking for hot spots, just how the fishing is in general. Thanks in advance.
Went a few weeks ago and did well for pike. Nothing big but pretty fun. We were flyfishing.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the update WhitefishLady! Hopefully the fishing's good enough to keep the kids busy for an afternoon. Thanks again!
Old 06-27-2016, 10:08 PM

Default cow lake

is there any places from shore to cast or do you need a boat
Old 06-28-2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70fastback View Post
is there any places from shore to cast or do you need a boat
The lake is not very deep. There are not many good spots around the lake that are not private land or weird false shore. There is only one small dock on the northside but that is right beside the boat launch. I would not want to fish it without some floating device. The lake is small enough even a canoe/pontoon/kayak can cover a good portion of the lake.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the update WhitefishLady! Hopefully the fishing's good enough to keep the kids busy for an afternoon. Thanks again!
Cow lake is a great place to take kids fishing. I would say almost guaranteed action with a Len Thompson cast along weedbeds.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:09 AM

Thanks scel, too bad about this lake, from what I have read and heard from people over the years it used to be quite the trophy lake. My boys will love it none the less!
Old 06-28-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks scel, too bad about this lake, from what I have read and heard from people over the years it used to be quite the trophy lake. My boys will love it none the less!
Do not get me wrong...Cow Lake is an amazing fishery. There is a real possibility of pulling a 10+lb fish out of it. You can only keep 1 pike over 100cm. There is so much perch. I snag a couple perch every time I fish there. I dunno---I am the kind of person that always takes the picture and puts the big breeders back. A 100cm pike will be a female in that 20+lb range.

I fly fish for the pike. When the springtime pike feedbag is on, it is possible to have a 20+ fish day, with 2 or 3 in that 7-10lb range. On a crappy day, i will still catch 7 or 8. I rarely fish for pike in the peak of the summer because pike tend to retreat to deeper water, which is not as conducive to fly fishing. But even then, Cow Lake is only 15' at its deepest.

I still think there is a possibility of Cow Lake turning into a trophy fishery. If you want to be proactive about it, just debarb your trebles (if you use them) and get the fish back into the water ASAP (since a shallow warmer lake will have less oxygen, will tire fish more quickly, and they will not survive out of water as long).

I am jealous. I never had the chance to go fishing with my dad. Even if the fishing is crappy, it has to still be an awesome day.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:01 AM

Is there still camping at Cow Lake?
Old 06-28-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Do not get me wrong...Cow Lake is an amazing fishery. There is a real possibility of pulling a 10+lb fish out of it. You can only keep 1 pike over 100cm. There is so much perch. I snag a couple perch every time I fish there. I dunno---I am the kind of person that always takes the picture and puts the big breeders back. A 100cm pike will be a female in that 20+lb range.

I fly fish for the pike. When the springtime pike feedbag is on, it is possible to have a 20+ fish day, with 2 or 3 in that 7-10lb range. On a crappy day, i will still catch 7 or 8. I rarely fish for pike in the peak of the summer because pike tend to retreat to deeper water, which is not as conducive to fly fishing. But even then, Cow Lake is only 15' at its deepest.

I still think there is a possibility of Cow Lake turning into a trophy fishery. If you want to be proactive about it, just debarb your trebles (if you use them) and get the fish back into the water ASAP (since a shallow warmer lake will have less oxygen, will tire fish more quickly, and they will not survive out of water as long

I am jealous. I never had the chance to go fishing with my dad. Even if the fishing is crappy, it has to still be an awesome day.
I am with you on putting the big breeders back, in fact all of my fishing is catch and release...keep them there to catch another day...lol. I new that Cow was shallow but didn't think it even hit 15' deep. Trying my best to get my boys into fishing, they are 8 and 11. They (probably with most kids) don't enjoy it too much when not catching anything. Thanks for all your input. I am not sure what day I am headed up there but I will report back with details of the trip!
Old 06-28-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
According to what I seen online last night, there is camping there.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Yes. My sister goes camping there with her family.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:04 PM

Yes. Camping is on west side of lake. There are a few docks setup at the campground boat launch as well. One is designated for fishing and the others for boats. You can shore fish south of the swimming area. Its not very deep but wade out 10ft and you are good.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:12 PM

Do you know if the camping stalls have power?
Old 06-30-2016, 11:14 PM

No powered sites there yet. But reasonable genset usage is ok