Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-31-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honker_clonker View Post
Was out the last couple days out from the provincial park. 8-10'' of ice about a mile out towards the centre of the lake (west). The access to the lake from the boat launch is kinda rough so if you have a trailer I'd recommend using one of the parking lots and driving your stuff onto the lake instead of bouncing down the ramp. Stay safe and have fun!
Don't get caught offloading your sled or quad within the Provincial Park including the parking lot or you will likely get an unpleasant surprise waiting on your windshield in the form of a $200+ fine. There are signs posted everywhere, better off driving down onto the ice and spreading out around the launch. Was on the west side of the lake today, lots of 2" wide cracks and a buddy had a huge heave push up around his tent when some D Bag drove their full size company truck on the lake. Still only 9" of good consistent ice, on the west side, some spots thicker, but a few spots less. Great for walking on or using OHV, oh yeah fishing was slow this evening too.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:39 AM

Was out on the 30th. Between 4 of us landed close to 120 lakers...Multiple fish coming off the bottom with hooked fish. If they spit the hook usually had another hook up immediately. We only kept 3. Bucktails and sucker belly. Couldn't fish deadlines as too much action...Great day, cold as hell though...
Old 01-02-2015, 08:21 PM

Bite has slowed down some ice is good fair bit of truck traffic but only so far out wont be long and yoj car go anywhere

Mack
Old 01-03-2015, 04:37 AM

Can a guy drive his full size truck off provincial camp ground then drive to French bay....how thick is the ice across those two areas,heading out this morning
Old 01-03-2015, 11:10 AM

Default Cold lake ice

We fished frenches bay on Thursday and provincial park Friday. We skidoo'd from frenches to provincial. Few ice heaves and ice was 10" at provincial park. Closer to 14" in frenches bay
Old 01-03-2015, 05:04 PM

Walked out at the marina yesterday, 12" of clear solid ice. Bunch of groups out there, most walked or quaded out, one SUV drove on. Had a decent day, caught 6 lakers plus one Mariah.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (63.5 KB, 431 views)
Old 01-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Banned

Anyone fishing today or the next couple days please be extra carefull when handling fish.

With this cold weather those fish are going to be having a tough time. Minimize the handling, don't measure it unless your sure it's close. Try and minimize the amount of time the fish is beating itself against the side of the hole cutting and descaling itself. These fish are bleeders,, I can just see the mess around the holes now. It makes me sick..

Enjoy it while you can this fishery is getting way to popular I can't see it lasting long. Just way to much pressure on them during the winter season.

Personally I wish they would shut it down during the winter I really do..
Old 01-04-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfisher View Post
Anyone fishing today or the next couple days please be extra carefull when handling fish.

With this cold weather those fish are going to be having a tough time. Minimize the handling, don't measure it unless your sure it's close. Try and minimize the amount of time the fish is beating itself against the side of the hole cutting and descaling itself. These fish are bleeders,, I can just see the mess around the holes now. It makes me sick..

Enjoy it while you can this fishery is getting way to popular I can't see it lasting long. Just way to much pressure on them during the winter season.

Personally I wish they would shut it down during the winter I really do..

Then I guess we will all be lucky enough not to see you out there....

Mack
Old 01-04-2015, 10:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

straight out from the marina, 500 yards or so the boys have been slaying the lakers using large white jigs and smelts/minnows almost off the bottom.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Then I guess we will all be lucky enough not to see you out there....

Mack
Nope not on the ice. I do enjoy them in the summer,, spend many days out there in the summer. But I do know these fish and i do know they are not a strong survivor. I rarely even bring them out of the water in the summer but release 90% at the side of the boat never mind bouncing them off the ice and them hitting the cold air.

Just reading the writing on the wall is all,, this fishery will not last,, you mark my words. IT WILL BE DESTROYED.

All I am suggesting is everyone please take extra caution when handling them especially during this cold weather.

Now,, back to the slaughter all.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:17 PM

Went out today and they were hot even though the temps were far from that lol! First 2 hours were non stop than slowed down a bit. Landed 13 lost 2 in about 4 hrs on the ice. I was out 500 yards or so from the marina. 12-13 inches of ice, there was 2 suv's and one full size truck on the ice... Also watched a what I'm pretty sure was a 1 ton drive from over by the provincial park to the marina.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Nope not on the ice. I do enjoy them in the summer,, spend many days out there in the summer. But I do know these fish and i do know they are not a strong survivor. I rarely even bring them out of the water in the summer but release 90% at the side of the boat never mind bouncing them off the ice and them hitting the cold air.

Just reading the writing on the wall is all,, this fishery will not last,, you mark my words. IT WILL BE DESTROYED.

All I am suggesting is everyone please take extra caution when handling them especially during this cold weather.

Actually you probably do more harm to the fish fighting them to the surface from very deep on a hot summer day then bringing them up in cold water from a shallower depth ...but it is good to hear you wont be out there....or on here by the looks of it.....oops my bad..

Mack
Old 01-05-2015, 07:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

My bad I used slaying and you used slaughtered, I was referring to the report as the bite was on as in anglers having success fishing and enjoying the day on the lake.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-07-2015, 11:16 AM

Any one quading past garnet yet to the east thanks ,
Old 01-07-2015, 05:49 PM

Will be on Monday ! I know it doesn't help , but I'M excited !
Old 01-07-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Any one quading past garnet yet to the east thanks ,
I was out to the hump on friday thats as far as I went still a good 10" of ice there.

Mack
Old 01-08-2015, 04:46 AM

How was fishing ?
Old 01-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Banned

Heard its been slow the last couple days with the low pressure.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
How was fishing ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Heard its been slow the last couple days with the low pressure.
It was very slow lots of marks sitting on bottom will follow up but little intrest in hitting...any hits came off hair jig tipped with smelt fillet..good luck hope it has changed.

Mack
Old 01-08-2015, 10:38 AM

Thanks , been holding off until my 2 month ford injector project was done now I need to rebuild my sled trailer between my daughters hockey games this weekend , but I'm ready !
Old 01-11-2015, 02:30 PM

How thick is the ice ,Provincial boat launch to french bay....any large trucks on ice out there ?
Old 01-11-2015, 03:09 PM

My buddy went Saturday he said 10 trucks around his area. 18" of ice I think he landed 5.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:38 PM

Thats good news.....anyone have any Laker pictures for 2015
Old 01-11-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
How thick is the ice ,Provincial boat launch to french bay....any large trucks on ice out there ?
Lots of trucks on the ice. More than 20 cms Of ice where I was at Garnett.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:43 PM

Thanks Matt
Old 01-11-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
Lots of trucks on the ice. More than 20 cms Of ice where I was at Garnett.
Sorry, should read more than 20 inches of ice at Garrnett.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:07 PM

Fished 2 days at Cold Lake. Tried Marina, Prov. Park and French Bay. Fishing was slow. Lots of fish on the flasher had to work them to get a hit. White hair jigs worked best.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:45 PM

Leaving Lloyd at 515, I deserve a day out !
Old 01-11-2015, 06:51 PM

18 inches in front of marina. Fishing has been very slow. Caught 2 yesterday and lossed or missed a few other and about the same today.... Very few chasers on the flasher even. Hopefully with this low pressure system moving off things will pick up by next weekend!
Old 01-11-2015, 08:27 PM

We're they biting it while you were jigging or inbetween?