Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-15-2010, 04:30 PM

I agree with a lot of points here. I for one fish barbless even if I don't have to (BC and SASK). Not sure why I do, just used to it. The only thing barbs is good for is keeping your bait on. I'd probably save a lot more money in minnows.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
I agree with a lot of points here. I for one fish barbless even if I don't have to (BC and SASK). Not sure why I do, just used to it. The only thing barbs is good for is keeping your bait on. I'd probably save a lot more money in minnows.
Last time I checked BC was barbless.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:05 PM

Default barbless

i fish barbless 100% but there are situations where, given the choice, i would not. icefishing for whites in my hut is a perfect example.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Banned

As far as I know, barbless is province wide. Why then, is it legal to sell barbed hooks?
Old 04-15-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@RN@GE View Post
Those test are all done by professional anglers. There not taking into affect the amount of people that pull there fish up onto rocks and onto the grass then put there 1 foot on the fish while they yank with a pair of pliers. Then toss it back about 6 mins later with it mouth/gills totally destroyed. Does it really matter nope. Most of the people using barbed hooks still are inexperienced people that have no clue how to handle fish and more concerned about keeping there 8 cent hook instead of saving the fish. I’m sure the amount of people using barbed hooks is close to 50 percent. That’s about the same amount of people that have no clue on how to handle fish. Maybe 10 percent get caught and maybe 2 percent actually get a ticket. I’m sure most of the guys complaining about them are the same guys i see chucking bait at trout lakes every year just after they stock it. Letting the 6 inch trout swallow the hook then reeling it in as fast as they can. Then they yank there 8 cent hook out of the gill. Then there go ahead and toss the trout bleeding out of the gills back into the water. You can usually spot these guys pretty easily there have piles of small dead trout around them.

No, that is not true. Most the tests done were by professors and their classrooms. If you think being in University quilfies you as a "professional angler" then give your head a shake. All the tests I have read were simple catch and hold systems and count the dead fish the next day. No difference between barbless or barbed. Also, the tests have been repeated through North America and even Greece. Again - NO DIFFERENCE. Facts are facts. What is a real surprise was how small hooks caused massive mortality (because the fish take them deeper). Also, the old wives tail "if the hook is real deep, cut the leader and the fish will survie" - also wrong. When a fish is hooked real deep - almost always dies. Why don't we lobby the govt. to make rules that make sense. Comparing this to speeding is ridiculous. Slower speeds save lives - barbless hooks do nothig (accept allow the govt. to assess fines ). By the way, I have never received a fine for fishing with a barbed hook. I just hate laws that make no sense.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilky View Post
As far as I know, barbless is province wide. Why then, is it legal to sell barbed hooks?
It is legal because, like other items, it is the application of the object,not the object it self that is illegal. The lures produced by all the major manufactures sell world wide and they are not going to start producing a whole new line of lures that are barbless because a few provinces decided to go to barbless.

I have been using barbless lures for years as well, handling time is reduced substantiallly and on quite a few occasions all that is required is to give the fish slack line, the hook will fall out, and the fish will swim away on its own.(with jigs anyway) With barbless there are numerous occassions when you don't even have to touch the fish or remove them from the water. Like it or not this decreased handling and the ability for the fish to stay in the water, increases survival rates by a huge margin.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:11 PM

I'm all about the barbless!! It's a great rule!
Old 04-15-2010, 07:16 PM

barbless owns!!!!!!! just keep the rod tip up!
Old 04-15-2010, 07:23 PM

Default Try Circle Hooks!!!!

Every spring its the same thing: I lose fish because I have to fish barbless, and I don't like it!!!!

Its a Government conspiracy, Just like floride in the water, right???

Every spring I post the same post, which nobody pays any attention to. How about this: Because you have to fish barbless you never married the supermodel you truely deserved.

Quit your whining and grow up. If you don't like losing fish, and you want to reduce injury in fish handling, change your gear over to circle hooks. Fish very very rarely are hooked deep. Almost always are hooked in the side of the mouth or the top or bottom jaws. Once hooked the fish cannot throw the hook, EVEN 37 pound Tyees that jump half a dozen times, still end up in the net.

There, now you know. Switch to circle hooks, THEN go to Victoria Secret's grand opening. Who knows, you might marry that supermodel you truely deserve.

Drewski
Old 04-15-2010, 08:22 PM
guidehunt

obviously you dont fish for pike much
Old 04-15-2010, 08:29 PM

I hate when I lose fish due to "Ralphies".
Old 04-15-2010, 08:48 PM

I fish 100% percent barbless and rarely lose them, certainly I don't lose more than I did with barbs. Learn to keep your tip up and the line tight... no big secrets here guys its what your dad taught you... or should have. Plus you don't have to handle this fish as much, very important with big pike.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Banned

I actually think this was just a feel good law.[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely correct.

From a person who has worked in biological end of fisheries mangement.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:14 PM

Default Guidehunt, yes, big pike too!!!

Guidehunt,

If you think that circle hooks don't work on big pike (10 pd - 15 +++) think again. I use 3/0 through 5/0 barbless circle hooks on plugs and spinnerbaits with great success. Been doing it for years for everything from Amberjack and Grouper and shark to west coast salmon. You don't need barbs, and you don't lose live bait on small circle hooks, such as lindy rigs for leeches.

What do I know though.

Drewski
Old 04-15-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Guidehunt,

If you think that circle hooks don't work on big pike (10 pd - 15 +++) think again. I use 3/0 through 5/0 barbless circle hooks on plugs and spinnerbaits with great success. Been doing it for years for everything from Amberjack and Grouper and shark to west coast salmon. You don't need barbs, and you don't lose live bait on small circle hooks, such as lindy rigs for leeches.

What do I know though.

Drewski
It's true, you don't know. This is nothing about ego - I was simply making a point. If barbless worked - we should do it. If it is just a silly "no science" law - we shouldn't. What if the goverment said "lets ban fishing for all species of fish from January 1 - July 31 every year due to spawning?" What would you say smart guy? I bet you would say - "I married a super model so this rule makes sense". Do the research and tell me why we should be barbless. If there is no reason - then it is as I say, a BS law meant to do nothing more then generate fines.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:21 PM
KyleM

To myself, this is fairly simple.
Its also fact that a barbless comes out much easier than barbed.

Pulling a barbed hook out puts a ton of strain on the jaw of a fish.

I sure as hell dont like pulling out barbed hooks from my nets either.

Experienced anglers can unhook barbed hooks faster? Thats insane.
Everybody has a bad encounter with trebles, I fished with the damn things for 20 years in Ontario and I would never switch back.

Losing fish in the middle of a fight is part of the enjoyment in our sport.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:38 PM

law or no law to clip the barb on your barbed hook just work fine for me (some time i left people with questions when i am in area where barbless hook isn't a law) less time to unhook fish mean more time to set the hook.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:19 PM

just wondering if anyone has any links to good data on the subject.

i personally think it is a no brainer that barbless hooks are better for the fish seeing as it reduces handeling time.

stick a barbed hook in your hand and then a barbless one and tell me if one does less damage.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:27 PM

I can attest for that one shane, even a pinched barb can be pretty hard to remove sometimes...lol
Old 04-16-2010, 12:42 AM

I catch more fish with barbless because I can get my hook back in the water faster. I have no probs with the barbless reg because it does decrease fish handling time. I've seen enough idiots (none from this board of course) trying to wrestle hooks out of undersized fish, even stepping on them to pull the hook out.

Nonetheless, I have two minor negative comments about barbless. One, when I pinch down fine wire hooks it seems to weaken the tip and sometimes the point breaks off. Second, my kids have a harder time keeping fish on. Oh well, they'll learn.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:39 AM

Default Some Say

back where I come from, all is good when its said and done!
Old 04-16-2010, 06:35 AM

Barbless hooks don't save fish, that has been studied to death and proven many times over. Many European jurisdictions don't allow C&R fishing anymore in part because of the mortality. You catch it you kill it. The only way to stop fish catch mortality is to ban fishing.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:00 AM

and lastly "8 cent hook" ???? Where are you shopping?

Bait fishing. Snelled hooks are cheap. Not useing a Rap.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:29 AM

Ya know, there are 2 points here(ok more than 2), single hooks and multi/trebble.

Trebbles - any time you have to go inside the mouth to unhook a fish it takes time. Now you have to handle the fish. My experience indicates there is little to no difference in release time. Lip hooked, just a little twist with needle nose pliers and the fish falls off. The above applies to barbed or barbless.

Single hooks, if hooked inside the mouth, again, you have to handle the fish. Pliers in twist and out comes the hook. Lip hooked fish can stay in the water. Just a little twist with needle nose pliers and the fish falls off.
The above applies to barbed or barbless.

Once again - little to no difference in release time or handling!

Therefore, no difference!

A feel good law!!!

A larger concern would be ......

ps I do pinch my barbs.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:38 AM

This is one instance(issue) that I believe should have been left up to the individual angler.

The only way to change it would be to lobby for the change. But anglers are so divided on this and so many other issues it is nearly impossible.

Sadly, we may be our own worst enemy.

In the mean time, keep your barbs pinched and your lines tight
Old 04-16-2010, 08:16 AM

If being barbless saves one fish so that it can be caught and enjoyed again, then it was worth it.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlin0122 View Post
if this happened, you will be glad you have a barbless hook!
Gross. Why did you make me watch that. Not so sure about fly fishing anymore. They say a bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work but I bet that guy would disagree.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Noel View Post
If being barbless saves one fish so that it can be caught and enjoyed again, then it was worth it.
This is exactly what I mean. Anglers and fishermen don't get it. It is not science based. Saving one fish - geez. Look at the hundreds of wasted fish by commercial fishermen. Wouldn't it be better to fix that? So, here are a couple of mortality issues.

1) When a fish is played to long - it usually dies from distress. Guess what - barbless hooks cause us to play the fish longer. People don't horse the fish to the boat as it is easier to lose them - thus, more fish death.

2) We need to get serious here - not every fishermen is C&R. If you are keeping what you catch, you need to get it to the boat for landing. If it is the wrong species - that fish will have been played far to long in the barbless case.

3) In the National Parks - you can fish with barbs. On the Govt. of Canada website - they describe it as a choice and agree there is no evidence that suggest the fish will survive better but comment that if you are a C&R fishermen, it is easier for you to remove the hook.

If you are a C&R fisherman, barbless should be preferred regardless of the law, you will not overplay the fish and if you lose him on the way in, no loss as it saves you from removing the hook. If not, the law is simply a way for the government to put their hand in peoples pockets for no reason.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Banned

Does anyone notice a similarity between these arguments and those that are related to gun confiscation ( whoops: I mean gun control).

Just look over in the British Isles and see what sort of fight fisherman have now?

When everything is controlled in a nice manner to the point most people can't afford remember what I said.

Nawwwwww this won't ever happen
Old 04-16-2010, 07:55 PM

i dont get the whole "its just a way for the goverment to their hands in your pockets".
just pinch the barbs, you wont get a fine.
personally i do not really see the need or want for them other then possibly keeping bait on, but then again i have grown up here and have learned to fish without them.